Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cuckoo for Calicos

Good Foods for Goldfish

Guest Cuckoo for Calicos

I thought since a lot of people are always wondering this we would start a thread. Daphnia, brine shrimp, peas, broccoli are a few.

spinach, cucumber, parsley, dandelion leaves, carrots(steamed)

frozen bloodworms, cocktail shrimp, homemade food, seafood flakes, Hikari lionhead pellets. I just figured they get more nutrients in a day then I get in a week! :lol:

Guest Cuckoo for Calicos

Spirulina flakes and lime

Orange, strawberries, banana.... mm!

But not raspberries apparently. My fish HATED them when I tried these recently, to the point of going to the other end of the tank to get away from them!

Guest April^_^

GOldfish eat Strawberry!?Orange?~! <_<

Guest Cuckoo for Calicos

plankton mmmmmmmm

What kind of pellets are good to feed gf. I know pro gold is good but my lfs didnt have them...al they had was wardley,tetra fin(which iam using) and some other kind(cant remember the name)....

can lettuce, cucmbers and oranges hurt gf in any way?

also i had asked this before but the post got deleted wut kind of peas should i buy from the store

thanks,

Guest TomBarratt

I used to give my goldfish Tubifex, they were cubes about 5mm square and my fish would eat in basicly 5 seconds. they loved them, but i didnt think that eating them so quickly was good. WHy dont some people give them a try.

I can't get progold either, but do use Hikari Lionhead Pellets and Omega One sinking pellets. Omega One is chock full of wonderful natural ingredients and vitamins, but contains ethoxyquin(a preservative) that is a carcinogen. But most of the Wardley brands contain ethoxyquin in greater quantity than the Omega One. No, lettuce, cucumber, oranges, etc., will not harm the fish at all. Actually, they are quite good for them. But you have to give the veggies and fruit in moderation. I give veggies about three or four times a week and only give fruit once or twice a month. Goldies can't digest sugar all that well so fruit shouldn't be given too much. Other than the pellets, I feed my fish tubifex worms, blood worms, peas, lettuce, boiled cauliflower, boiled brocoli, boiled carrots, oranges, watermelon, canteloupe, bananas, and honeydew. When buying peas for the goldies, make sure you get the frozen kind with no salt added.

At your local pet store, they should be able to order you pellets even if they do not normally have them on the shelves. That is what I had to do to get Hikari and Omega One.

Guest TomBarratt

With the peas, buy organic peas with no salt. Petis Poir are good as they are small.

I get ProGold at the fish shows or over the internet. GoldFish Connection sends it out wonderfully quickly.

i went to goldfishconnection.com and saw they had pro-gold there...i take thats the rite one cuz thats the only one they have there...ware can i get tubifex worms...so if i just rinse off some lettuce i could feed it to my gf....how would i feed cucmbers..and oranges

thANKS

April, I feed my goldies and my bettas frozen bloodworms on a regular basis. For the bettas I have the normal betta flakes, and every other day they get a meal of bloodworms, and they just love them!

Hikari are another excellent brand of pellet food and usually widely available.

I feed cucumber cut up into tiny mouth sized pieces because my fish won't eat it otherwise - ditto lettuce, peas, melon, tomato, strawberries and banana - but they prefer having a whole slice of orange (peel, pith and pips removed), which they can toss all over the tank and suck to death!

If your water has a low pH or low buffering qualities then beware of feeding citrus fruits however; they *can* drop the pH if you're not careful. :)

Personally I feed my goldfish Hikari goldfish flakes as my staple food but I do supplement this with freeze dried plankton and freeze dried bloodworms.I am in the process of culturing scuds,tubifex,daphnia magna,daphnia pulex and feeder fish for feeding my goldfish but the cultures need to grow in size yet.Nothing beats hikari flakes or any hikari products.Hikari flakes give me very good growth rates for my goldfish and enhance their colors nicely.I've tested other foods and hands down my goldfish prefer hikari goldfish flakes,also my snails,scuds and feeder fish also prefer hikari as well as my tubifex worms.Plankton works very well for enhancing colors and wen growth as well as enhanced growth rates for small goldfish.But too much is bad.Bloodworms are also a good source of protein for enhancing growth of small fish and wen growth but not as good of a source in my opinion.I am contuinally experimenting with foods,conditions etc.As a scientist its my nature. :ph34r:

Ray, you have to either freeze or parboil lettuce leaves before giving to the fish, or they will be too tough to chew through. Freezing or parboiling makes the leaf nice and wilty so that your fish can take nice big bites. Feed cucumber by peeling and shredding and attaching to a veggie clip (you can also use a bag clip if that's all you have).

Guest letmeavyou
i went to goldfishconnection.com and saw they had pro-gold there...i take thats the rite one cuz thats the only one they have there...ware can i get tubifex worms...so if i just rinse off some lettuce i could feed it to my gf....how would i feed cucmbers..and oranges

thANKS

can you feed your gold fish dried bread crums or can you feed your gold fish normal no added salt pea

Not bread crumbs - carbohydrates are very bad for goldfish. You can feed normal peas, as long as they are not tinned and contain no added sugar or salt.

I can't believe after all the replies that anyone has not mentioned frozen krill. it is one of my favorites and yes, also one of my goldies favorites.

April, my betta loves frozen bloodworms, just try defrosting them first in a cup of some tank water and then let them hang off the end of a toothpick for them too eat. I also feed small pieces of peas in the same manner too my betta but unfortunately he will not touch the krill.

Try all the above in a gel food!

Guest Wilbur

The best feeds should for your fish should contain high amounts of fish meal and fish oils as they provide the fish with all the majority of their essential amino acids and fatty acids. minerals vitamins are not required in large amounts

i find the hikari baby pellts work wonders for that developing wen :) ( i cant read much more of whats on the packet :lol: , also Nutrafin max gf flakes, supa ant eggs ( not a big hit yet) Tetra Gold Medal luxury goldfish food (ok) and tetra fin food sticks (also not a hit yet), white shrimp and bloodworms are a hit and ofcourse.... peasssssssss