Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest marty wade

Using Frozen Peas

Guest marty wade

hi everyone,

As a relative new comer to fishkeeping (only 1 year) , i see you guys use a wide variety of foods for your fish. When using peas , do you cook them first and let them cool or do you use them uncooked. could you thaw frozen peas and use them???? so far i've only been using flakes , brine shrimp , freeze dried blood worms and daphnia. Oh , and the occasional piece of cucumber.

boil some water, drop the frozen pease into the boiling water once its boiling for around 15 secs, and then take them out, peel the skin off and chop them into small pieces, this is how i do it, other people squash them.

I always just put some water into a tiny bowl, drop a couple peas into the water, and put them into the microwave for 2 mins...I then let the water cool. Or you can run it under cold water to cool them....the peas are then soft and easier to mush and give to your fish.

My method may be a little odd but it works for me.

I get a few petite peas (no salt) out of the bag in the freezer and put them in my mouth till they thaw.

Then I popped the skins off and cut them into smaller bits and feed them to the fish. :lol:

Hi Happy!

I am one of those people who need to "multi-task". I started the "peas in the mouth" thing so I could be doing other stuff too and it really does work as far as saving time and freeing up my hands.

:lol:

doesnt freeze your tongue ?? :rofl

Not that this has anything to do with this thread, and not like I'm british or anything, but I took the "rate your life quiz" and got a 15. This means I'm pretty tame, huh?

When I feed my fish frozen peas I just rinse them under hot water until they thaw, pop them out of the skin and break them up into pieces that are small enough for the fish to eat easily. If they get mushy part of the pea disintegrates in the water which is icky.

doesnt freeze your tongue ?? :rofl

:scared (this guy looks cold, huh?)

OMG Nancy I do that too, but I've always been to ashamed to admit it! You really rule, you know that?

Guest kerri_corbett

I tried to give my fish peas and they were curious about what was in the water and then they just left it alone. I guess they are picky eaters. :)

-kerri

Gold fish shld be crazy about peas.. perhaps they are not used to sinked food and thus not bothered.. it takes time

I use frozen peas.. thawed and blanched in hot water jus to kill germs.. but not expecting to cook them as cooked pea turns into powder that will cloud water..

Chop or diced, sometime a light squeeze with finger (when I am lazy to cut) works fine for my fish..

Watever it is, it has to be natural peas.. NO SALT, SUGAR, VINEGAR or any seasoning cordiments...

Actually putting in mouth indeed weird, but u might be passing some diseases or adding something to the peas that will be consumed by the fish.. better think twice about this.. or maybe I am jus too health concious about infection as I am working in a Hospital and Infection Control is part of my job.. :P