Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ParadiseLost

Pumpkin And Klaus

Despite them having been assigned names that seem to assign genders, I want you to look at this!

S6000221

Thoughts? I couldn't catch much cos my camera is poo :(

Guest Kelsang

That is so cute!!

I can't tell who is chasing who so...ehhh I can't say :(

Kelsang, both are actually chasing each other.

GC, have you actually figured out their genders yet?

Does the calico exhibit distended abdomen mostly at the rear?

Does the orange one have breeding tubercles?

Are you familiar with the venting method where you need to recognized that females should have a "nub" protruding at the bottom?

Kelsang, both are actually chasing each other.

GC, have you actually figured out their genders yet?

Does the calico exhibit distended abdomen mostly at the rear?

Does the orange one have breeding tubercles?

Are you familiar with the venting method where you need to recognized that females should have a "nub" protruding at the bottom?

Well Lupin I was actually researching breeding and sexing at the time that I spied this happening, so I am a newbie to sexing a fish. I'm not sure that I can do it just by looking through the glass because they are so small, do you think they are still too young for me to find out or should I just get ahold of them and turn them upside down?

As a fantail s/he is naturally quite round-bodied already...

S6000157

Any help?

S6000191

Size will not accurately tell you the age so size is out of the loop as one of the indicators of age except when a breeder properly records it.

Has the fantail always look that way? Seems a bit ripe with eggs assuming this is a female but my female blue oranda had a more distended rear part. I knew right away she was full of eggs so I bought her.

Did you take a look at pics of vents as you researched?

Size will not accurately tell you the age so size is out of the loop as one of the indicators of age except when a breeder properly records it.

Has the fantail always look that way? Seems a bit ripe with eggs assuming this is a female but my female blue oranda had a more distended rear part. I knew right away she was full of eggs so I bought her.

Did you take a look at pics of vents as you researched?

What I mean about saying they are so small I can't tell is that they are literally physically too small for me to see much on them through the glass! They zip about too much and have small bodies lol.

Yeah I think Koko posted a sticky topic with a page about sexing fish etc so I was reading that.

Yeah Pumpkin has always looked like that though I haven't had her for very long, how interesting about her possibly being ripe with eggs!

So do you think it would be OK for me to pick them out and turn upside down to see the vent better? Take a pic too just in case.

Lt Shiny Sides: DSC01281

Pumpkin: DSC01280

DSC01278

Klaus: DSC01277

So really my pics of Pumpkin are bad but she has fins everywhere and was wriggling loads :S the two originals held still at least long enough for pics!

So the two oranges are innys (boys) and therefore I think the fantail is a girl! I'll have a try with her again later ok?

Edited by Goldfish Carer

Doh! I have trouble seeing pics clearly but I'll trust your judgment.;) Usually when fish spawn, the water becomes VERY cloudy in the wee hours of the morning. That's what happened to me. You'll want to clean up after they're done since it fouls the water too. Might want to drop bushy plants or spawning mops there. It usually encourages them to spawn. Don't save the eggs though if you don't have time to be committed to this. Trust me you won't like hundreds of fry to feed.lolol Even if you don't, in a heavily decorated tank, some fry are bound to survive until big enough not to be eaten by the parents.:)

Doh! I have trouble seeing pics clearly but I'll trust your judgment.;) Usually when fish spawn, the water becomes VERY cloudy in the wee hours of the morning. That's what happened to me. You'll want to clean up after they're done since it fouls the water too. Might want to drop bushy plants or spawning mops there. It usually encourages them to spawn. Don't save the eggs though if you don't have time to be committed to this. Trust me you won't like hundreds of fry to feed.lolol Even if you don't, in a heavily decorated tank, some fry are bound to survive until big enough not to be eaten by the parents.:)

Lol I am not sure I'll just see what happens! Ta. So you do think they're doing a breeding dance then?

Only one way to make sure they are is if you see breeding stars vividly visible on the males chasing the female. That's the typical chasing behavior I observed from Harper before he started spawning with Chimecho. You'll need spawning mops and soft bushy plants though to avoid the female from being injured by being slammed around by the male.

Only one way to make sure they are is if you see breeding stars vividly visible on the males chasing the female. That's the typical chasing behavior I observed from Harper before he started spawning with Chimecho. You'll need spawning mops and soft bushy plants though to avoid the female from being injured by being slammed around by the male.

Thank you all for advice!

Well I have seen plenty more chasing even if it is on and off. I was wondering if it possible for a goldie to drop a few eggs before the actual main egg-dropping occurs? I want to know if I should be looking out for anything other than a massive batch of eggs.

Cheers xxx

Yes, they can drop off a few eggs especially when stressed. Your tank has gravel though so you'll find it difficult to verify your goldfish laid eggs and eggs are absolutely tiny!

Yes, they can drop off a few eggs especially when stressed. Your tank has gravel though so you'll find it difficult to verify your goldfish laid eggs and eggs are absolutely tiny!

I'm becomign para...

S6000251

Between the pebble and the pot. There is another one like that under the bowl. Maybe its just old food or something AHH

Is it worth me setting up another tank? xxx

I can see it but not clearly enough, hun.:( The eggs are very adhesive though. Could you try grabbing the stone assuming the "egg" is latching firmly on it and get another shot?

I can see it but not clearly enough, hun.:( The eggs are very adhesive though. Could you try grabbing the stone assuming the "egg" is latching firmly on it and get another shot?

Yeah it's hard taking pictures through glass because my camera never zooms on what is furthest away, just something in the foreground so that's the best I could get. I'll take some pics in a min :)

Yeah it's hard taking pictures through glass because my camera never zooms on what is furthest away, just something in the foreground so that's the best I could get. I'll take some pics in a min :)

It was sticky!

I'm kinda doubtful tbh...

S6000254

S6000252

Oooohhhh...Egg! If it went white though, it's infertile.:( Freshly laid eggs are transparent at first but developing fertile eggs should have two black dots later on. White eggs are infertile and stink!

Oooohhhh...Egg! If it went white though, it's infertile.:( Freshly laid eggs are transparent at first but developing fertile eggs should have two black dots later on. White eggs are infertile and stink!

YOU REALLY THINK???? :o :o :o

What should I do with them? There are two the same colour and size in the tank in different places. There was another one the other day but it got eaten up by mummy!

Should I get another tank going? xxx

Yes, if you are up for rearing a few fry with sufficient space, get a new tank ready and cycled too. I'd just get spawning mops and bushy plants like hornworts and water lettuce where they can deposit eggs into. Eggs are so adhesive I'd rather grab ones stuck on mops and plants. The parents eat the eggs if not removed.

Yes, if you are up for rearing a few fry with sufficient space, get a new tank ready and cycled too. I'd just get spawning mops and bushy plants like hornworts and water lettuce where they can deposit eggs into. Eggs are so adhesive I'd rather grab ones stuck on mops and plants. The parents eat the eggs if not removed.

Right I've moved the one stuck on the rock successfully. However I moved the vase and found two hidden under it, and I tried to scoop them up but they just fell apart :( :(

I have spotted another potential, under a rock but not stuck to it, so in the gravel. HOW DO I MOVE IT? I don't wanna break it again! :(:cry1

Ty xxx

Lift the rock and try scraping with a razor blade, hun.

Lou, I know it's exciting and this is going to sound really harsh, but I wouldn't keep any of the eggs, you don't have a big enough tank for your current three fish and each of the babies is going to require 10-20 gallons per fish, you'd have to either give all of them up or buy an enormously huge tank very very soon. I'd love it if my fish spawned but I wouldn't be able to keep more than 1-2 eggs, that's all the space I have in my tank. I know then you don't get to choose the best, but what if you can't find a home for them and have to give them to a pet store where you know they'll end up in bowls and tiny tanks no matter what you do or you have to kill them off? They also require a lot of care for months to get them growing properly, multiple feedings a day and immaculate water. It's a lot to get into just because they happen to be spawning, it'll probably happen again next year and you can be better prepared. Think on it as getting a puppy, you don't just stroll down to the kennel one day and pick one out.

Sorry if this sounds a bit mean but I'm getting a bit worried by the amount of people trying to raise fry when they don't have the space, you're not the only one.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

This is the sole egg I have. I can make out the little fry in it now, my camera isn't good enough at zooming to make it clear though.

4324514443_fa8b1b13a1.jpg

I can see the spine/body curve in the egg and two little speckie eyes :)

I'll try and do my est by it, but am not holding high expectations!

xxx

Congrats! I do hope you could manage this one fry.heartpump.gif

Congrats! I do hope you could manage this one fry.heartpump.gif

Eeeeeeh just waiting for it to hatch yeesh taking its time! xxx