Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
celtic_predator

Please Identify And Advise Treatment

Hello fish experts. :)

My Ryukin has something on its tail. Please identify what it is and advise how to treat it.

Since I can't provide all details, I'll try answering as much as I can on this :

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - 50 gallons, going 4 weeks now.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? - Precision PF-950 and 2 sponge filters.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? - 30% every week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? - 3 Ryukins ; approx 13-15 cm

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? - API StressCoat, StressZyme, Aquarium Salt and Angel Drops Vitamins

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? - Hikari Wheatgerm, Sera Goldy Royal, Dried Shrimps, Peeled greenpeas

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? - not yet

[*]Any medications added to the tank? - not yet

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - pics below

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - none so far

==============================================================================================================

melchior_1.jpg

melchior_2.jpg

melchior_3.jpg

Hi,

Firstly, I would advise against adding anything else other than your dechlorinator to bind both chlorine and chloramine and aquarium salt (for temporary quarantine procedures only). Adding liquid vitamins in your tank is very ineffective. The best way you can do this is by injecting the vitamins in their foods. Sera Activant is no longer circulating around the trade even locally. Your best option is get human multivitamins in pharmacies. I use either Centrum or Enervon and add it in my gel food recipes for my goldfish. Omit the API Stresscoat. If memory serves me right, this contains aloe vera. Too much aloe vera can suffocate your fish especially if the excess slimecoat produced as a result of aloe vera gets clogged in the respiratory system of your fish.

Secondly, do you have access to test kits? Get the liquid drops by API. Some petstores should carry them and they cost usually no more than 1200 pesos. A master test kit contains ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and high pH range test kits, all relevant to checking your water parameters.

Thirdly, when you bought your ryukin, did that tail already have a pinched fin ray? If not, when did you noticed that? The fin ray seems pinched and I noticed such defect occurs possibly due to damage from injuries. I haven't noticed anything like that in goldfish I raised except for some adult ones I bought from people that I do not even know well enough how they maintain their tanks.

Thank you for the reply. :)

I saw Sera Activant from a petshop, is it good? When you use Centrum/Enervon tablets, do you pound it until it's fine enough to mix with the food? Are there no side effects with that, like unnecessary vitamins the fish is receiving? If none, this seems to be a very good idea because I have lots of Centrum vitamins to spare hehe. Also, I'm planning to buy a test kit soon. As for the pinched fin, yes it was there already when I bought him. The petshop owner is also meticulous about his fishes so I'm guessing my fish got it from handling or delivery from supplier.

I would just keep the water extra clean and not add any vitamins at all. As long as you feed a varied diet you don't need them.

Looks like a defect and not really something wrong. But just keep an eye on it.

My moon is always getting frayed and weird looking fin things all the time. Think it is related to the white long flowing fins. She is the only one that gets that stuff.

I, too, think that what you are seeing is the tissue that has regrown in a less than perfect fashion following an injury of some nature. It appears to be healthy tissue - just not formed straight and flat as would be ideal. It is not something to be concerned about, particularly.

Even if this fish is a show fish going before judges, this minor flaw is not something that would even be considered except in extremely close competition or cutthroat judging. I, also, would not be concerned about it if the fish is being used for breeding. IT does not appear to be a genetic flaw of any nature.

Thank you for the reply. smile.gif

I saw Sera Activant from a petshop, is it good? When you use Centrum/Enervon tablets, do you pound it until it's fine enough to mix with the food? Are there no side effects with that, like unnecessary vitamins the fish is receiving? If none, this seems to be a very good idea because I have lots of Centrum vitamins to spare hehe. Also, I'm planning to buy a test kit soon. As for the pinched fin, yes it was there already when I bought him. The petshop owner is also meticulous about his fishes so I'm guessing my fish got it from handling or delivery from supplier.

I can't remember if my Sera Activant packages had expiration date, etc. Could you check for any code numbers written on it?

I've not noticed side effects from using multivitamins. I just pound one tablet for 2-3 weeks worth of gel foods. That's a lot of gel foods actually since I keep more than two dozens of goldfish myself and they're not any smaller anymore.biggrin.gif

Edited by Lupin

Nice to have some pros here. :)

@Hidr - Thanks for the advice!

@daryl - That's great to hear. Unfortunately, there aren't any fish competitions here except for Flowerhorns. I wanted to take care of these guys and hope they grow to their full potential. Who knows they'll be stars someday. :rolleyes:

@Lupin - Wasn't able to visit the petshop yet. Will try to check the expiration date when i go there. Is Sera Activant phased out already?

Yes, Sera Activant is being phased out to my knowledge. Some people keeping flowerhorns locally have been complaining about the low supply. There are still plenty of vitamins to use out there. You just do not want to waste time and money with liquid ones added on water rather than by ingestion. Ingestion is better as the vitamins are directly utilized by the fish.

Yes, Sera Activant is being phased out to my knowledge. Some people keeping flowerhorns locally have been complaining about the low supply. There are still plenty of vitamins to use out there. You just do not want to waste time and money with liquid ones added on water rather than by ingestion. Ingestion is better as the vitamins are directly utilized by the fish.

Thanks, I'll try mixing vitamins with their food soon. :)