Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
endangeredlovex0x

College Dorm Requirments....

Hello you guys :)

well, i was finally accepted to university (yay!)

and will moving on campus next fall.

i always knew deep down that i might not be able to take any goldies with me,

as school housing often has strict rules about pets and aquariums etc;

anyways,

i received my housing guidlines in the mail the other day....

and aparently i'm allowed to have nothing larger than one ten gallon aqaurium

in my room at a time....

now i know that there's a 10 gallon per fancy quota that all of us meet,

but i've never kept any of my past fish in a ten gallon aquarium for a long period of time-

i've always opted for 20 or 30 gallon aquariums for one or two fish.

as the ten gallon always looked a bit small to me.

so my question is,

do you think a goldie will be healthy and happy in a heavily filtered ten gallon aquarium for one or two years? (by then hopefully i'll have an apartment and no longer live at school).

ahhhhh

i'm stressing about this :krazy:

and i know i havn't been on here in a while :unsure:

*hides from kokos stick*

your opinions are much apreciated <3

Edited by Callie

I think particularly if you get a small goldie rather than starting with a 6 inch monster, and you pick your fish type so you don't get a super fast one it should be fine. I'd opt for a telescope, pearlscale, ranchu or lionhead, one of the 'impaired' breeds personally for that kinda space, and I'd definitely start with a tiny fish so they don't start at 4 inches and grow to 6 but start at say 1 and grow to 4 inches before you can get them into a bigger tank. I think as long as you do a 75% weekly water change and only have one fish you'll be fine :) And get a 10 gallon long rather than high for increased surface area and swimming room.

We weren't allowed any pets at all in our halls so you're lucky you can have anything! I was in my second year at uni in a house before I got my tank and even that's dubious...I found a loophole in the contract. Our current accomodation actually says 'no pets' as we found out about 3 weeks ago, when we signed the contract we said we had fish and hamsters and they said that's fine as long as there's no dogs/cats etc but that's a different company so we still don't know, we're just hoping noone finds out who'll mind! Just be aware for when you do get a house.

Unfortunately I don't think one would be happy in that small a tank for that long. However you could get one then re-home it every few months. Or if you can find a 10 gallon that is square it might be able to stay in it longer but that is just guessing.

Also most collage students are very busy and would have trouble making time to keep up on water changes? You would need the extra ones cause of the small tank and even more as the fish gets larger.

How about a nice betta instead? or look for a baby doll goldfish. I never see them around here but maybe you can order one after the tank cycles.

I know you want a goldfish but sometimes we have to do whats best for others and in this case whats best for the fish. You'll still have yours at home right? Takes lots of pictures when your home and put them on your walls.

Also most college students are very busy.

Liar!!!!! ;)

Hmm. Goldfish are great but due to size restrictions and prior knowledge about growth and space requirements I'd suggest getting a different and smaller species of fish such as mentioned about bettas etc. However I have read that you can simulate a much larger tank in a smaller tank but having more than necessary filteration. So having more than 10x filteration of the tank size etc mimics a larger tank.

I'd suggest getting confirmation of this and be warned, i've done this in a smaller tank before and the filters are that ruddy strong they created a whirlpool effect and when i had an ill fish (when i started and did a fish cycle opposed to fishless cycle) the ill fish struggled to keep away from the filter's suction.

On another note, having a fish tank has been proven to reduce stress which would be excellent for you whilst at College. Enjoy your first year and don't take it too seriously as the first year are usually cake walks, second years are where people drop out and struggle the most!

Have you kept bettas before. They have a personality much like a goldfish except a little more mature. Lol. I think it just what you need.

I would miss my goldies, but agree, the size would be hard. I vote betta too...they really are great little fish! Easier than golds too.

I agree. Bettas are something nice to consider. I always wanted the halfmoons but I can't afford those. They're too expensive for my taste. Can't go wrong with plakats, crowntails and many others though. I like plakats.

Here is my suggestion.....get a 20 gallon tank and tell anyone who asks that it's a 10 gallon tank. If they don't know the difference between tank sizes, that's their fault.

And you could use the excuse "Do you really think I would keep a GOLDFISH in anything larger than 10 gallons?! I mean it's just a goldfish, for goodness sakes" That way they will think you are telling the truth.....though you might have the urge to wash your mouth out with soap after saying that. ;)

Also, just because you are a busy college student, that doesn't mean you will neglect your tanks. I am a SUPER busy college student and find time to do a water change every week on my 40 gallon tank. Last semester they took more than a hour because I had green water, which meant 90% WCes every 7 days.

You just have to have your priorities straight.

I think Ryukin Girl's cunning plan is more likely to work with a 15 gallon, dimensionally they aren't that different but they have the extra 50% volume, and 15 gallons for one goldie should be fine :) That said my 47 gallon isn't that dimensionally different to my 24 gallon, it doesn't take up that much more room, so if you get a squarish tank instead of a really long one then you might get away with 20 gallons...wait until you've been there a few weeks and know how picky the staff are! That gives you time to sound out the local fish shops too ;)

I wonder if Callie can find Siamese dolls. These ones are her best bet if she has to keep one in her tank, preferably 15-20g. Siamese dolls are very elusive though. You'd have to get really lucky to encounter some. I have one with her mate still pending arrival. These ones grow no more than 5", mostly 4" so they're often a nice choice for smaller tanks.

Here is my suggestion.....get a 20 gallon tank and tell anyone who asks that it's a 10 gallon tank. If they don't know the difference between tank sizes, that's their fault.

And you could use the excuse "Do you really think I would keep a GOLDFISH in anything larger than 10 gallons?! I mean it's just a goldfish, for goodness sakes" That way they will think you are telling the truth.....though you might have the urge to wash your mouth out with soap after saying that. ;)

Also, just because you are a busy college student, that doesn't mean you will neglect your tanks. I am a SUPER busy college student and find time to do a water change every week on my 40 gallon tank. Last semester they took more than a hour because I had green water, which meant 90% WCes every 7 days.

I actually did this and nobody new the difference. Not to mention I noticed that nocbody cared. I had a bird for a while too and as long as i kept it quiet while housekeeping was there nobody cared. A lot of times (and it could be different at your dorm/apartment) nobody checks to make sure students are following the no pets or small aquarium rule.

I, too, was going to suggest getting a 15. They have the same footprint as a 10 gallon tank and if you can get one with the filter built into the hood (The brand name escapes me at the moment - senior moment)it takes up far less space than a tank with a filter hanging on the side and an air pump on the table beside it. Besides, a typcial 10 gallon tank only holds, at most, 9 gallons. A 15 gallon tank is more like 12-13 gallons. That is argueable.....

My daughters were allowed one "fish tank" no larger than 10 gallons. What it came down to is that they were allowed anything that "went into a fish tank no larger than 10 gallons". They had, over time, gerbils, hampsters, mice, guinea pigs, fish, frogs, hermit crabs and a smallish snake. As long as your roommate has no problems, there is usually no problem.

It is also a fact that most students do not remain in dormitories for more than 1-2 years, after which they are encouraged to find private housing to free up the dorms for the younger freshmen coming in. Most apartments have less strict rules for fish.....

That said, I LOVE my betta. He is at true pleasure. He is easy to care for and really beautiful. You may find that a gorgeous betta will easily fill your desire for a finned friend.

thankyou all for your help :)

i hadn't yet considered bettas...

but i feel like i'd be more comfortable keeping a goldie :heart:

and i think i would find it hard to be without one...

so i think i'm gonna go with ryukingirl and daryl's advice :D

I, too, was going to suggest getting a 15. They have the same footprint as a 10 gallon tank and if you can get one with the filter built into the hood (The brand name escapes me at the moment - senior moment)it takes up far less space than a tank with a filter hanging on the side and an air pump on the table beside it. Besides, a typcial 10 gallon tank only holds, at most, 9 gallons. A 15 gallon tank is more like 12-13 gallons. That is argueable.....

My daughters were allowed one "fish tank" no larger than 10 gallons. What it came down to is that they were allowed anything that "went into a fish tank no larger than 10 gallons". They had, over time, gerbils, hampsters, mice, guinea pigs, fish, frogs, hermit crabs and a smallish snake. As long as your roommate has no problems, there is usually no problem.

It is also a fact that most students do not remain in dormitories for more than 1-2 years, after which they are encouraged to find private housing to free up the dorms for the younger freshmen coming in. Most apartments have less strict rules for fish.....

That said, I LOVE my betta. He is at true pleasure. He is easy to care for and really beautiful. You may find that a gorgeous betta will easily fill your desire for a finned friend.

i have a missleadingly low and wide twenty gallon tank, so i think i'm gonna try and use that one-

it's such a perfect plan!

and i'm going to be in a veterinary program, so i doubt they'd be too strict with tank size requirments.

and i'll just tell them it's a ten gallon

hehe

i feel so devious :crazy:

thanks so much you guys!! :heart:

I cant tell you how happy i am to hear someone loves goldies so much there willing to TOTALLY break the rules for them :heart

i am lucky in the fact that my school doesnt have rules for the size of an aquarium. I have a 40 gal in my dorm room :) and a 3 gal puffer tank.

i am lucky in the fact that my school doesnt have rules for the size of an aquarium. I have a 40 gal in my dorm room :) and a 3 gal puffer tank.

Mine doesn't have restrictions either. I have a 40 gallon and last semester I had both my 20 gallon and a 10gal QT.......all three running at the same time! And I often call maintenance. The only thing they say is "WOW! Those are goldfish?" It amuses me to no end.

If I can ask, where's your school? Mine doesn't have restrictions either; I'm setting up a 70 gallon under my lofted bed--my roommate thinks I'm insane. :)

I go to the university of north texas :)

Mine doesn't have restrictions either. I have a 40 gallon and last semester I had both my 20 gallon and a 10gal QT.......all three running at the same time! And I often call maintenance. The only thing they say is "WOW! Those are goldfish?" It amuses me to no end.

hahahahahha

that does sound fun :D

i'm sure i'll be doing a lot of explaining :rolleyes:

If I can ask, where's your school? Mine doesn't have restrictions either; I'm setting up a 70 gallon under my lofted bed--my roommate thinks I'm insane. :)

lol! i get that reaction a lot too :P

and i will be attending a school in rurual new york :)

Wow. Thats sounds like a big tank choice for a dorm room.

Orandalover: Ah, I'm over in Washington State, so it makes sense that they'd have different policies...

Anielynn: Technically I live in the on campus apartments, but they're basically dorms with tiny kitchens. It's taken a lot of reorganizing to get everything to fit, but the 70 gallon shouldn't be a problem. (As long as the floor doesn't give out.)

Glad to hear it sounds like you have a plan o take a goldie or two with you to college. :thumbs:

I myself am in college at Vincennes University, and I am married so I live off campus. However I know there is a no pet policy that includes fish tanks of any size in our dorms. That said I do know of one student named Barbra who keeps a 10 gallon tank in her dorm and is trying to figure how to sneak in a larger 20 gallon tank as well. :D

She told me various pets she has had through the years, and can't remember the type she has now.

Edited by CosbyArt