Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sushi13

I Don'T Know What To Do!

Sushi is in his 55 gallon. I know he favor's his "Bed" plant, and yes, every night he goes to sleep under there. He gets so excited when he sees me and he'll come out to swim BUT towards the afternoon and evening time he just swims under his plant and sits until someone comes by....only me.

I don't know if he is depressed or just lazy! He did this in the other tank. I WAS considering getting him a friend but in the past he beat the crap out of a black moor...and it died a month later due to injuries. :(

I was thinking maybe he does need a friend...someone his own size! Many of you have seen photos of Sushi and he is not small!

I am thinking about buying a black moor online...if I know it won't be expensive! I am NOT going to Pet$mart or any other place...the ones around here are always filled with sick fish! I got lucky when I got Sushi from Pet$mart.

What should I do? His levels are all good. I am torn about this...and if I do get another moor, how will I know Sushi won't become a bigger bully?! He really doesn't like other fish.

Edited by Sushi13

There's no way to tell until you combine him with another fish. Perhaps singletails may stand a better chance but they grow too big. I'd consider a fantail or a ryukin. Just be prepared with a divider or a spare tank.

I know! And that bothers me too. What happens if I got one and he rejects him/her...then I have a new fish on my hands, lol.

Guest Kelsang

You would still need to QT any fish weather it's from online or vvvv

I know that. :)

At least you still have Sushi's old tank, if they don't get along. You could always keep it set up for awhile after qt in case you have any behavior problems.

Perhaps Shushi is a jealous fish. If you say he gets excited when you walk by, then he probably likes you and doesn't want competition.

You might could try a catfish. A little one. One that won't pose a "threat" to Shushi's ego. lol.

Edited by kindlykritter

Can goldfish get jealous? I noticed when I walk away he will swim around for a few minutes and then go back under his plant until I walk by, and he comes out to say hello. I swear my old Oscar fish hated me back in the day when he was alive...now I have a goldfish that is attached, lol.

I agree with Lupin; tank dividers are always good if things don't work out. But I suppose it depends if you're okay with having them in your tank; personally, I don't mind them and have to use one because I have a bully of a fish... it'd be nicer if they could all get along, but since they can't it means one less tank to maintain, and the fish are still able to interact somewhat. So if you're okay with possibly having an extra tank or a divider, (and if you think he really doesn't like other fish you'll probably have to use one of those options) you could go ahead and try it. Good luck if that's what you decide to do! :)

Try a Ryukin there pretty tough ide say anything you get would have to be about his size even if you do get another moor...ive noticed that my moor seems to be a little pig headed to and hes the smallest in the tank and my mothers moor is the same pushing others out of the way for food...the only fish i have thats meaner then my moors are my pearlies now theres a fish that can hold its own maybe moors are just bullys?

The only thing I've ever seen remotely like bullying was the first day I added Tigger to Caesar's tank, she would nip her every time she went past, which was often because Caesar was a very affectionate fish and loved company, but only for the first day. I think when Tigger realised that even though it was 'Caesar's' tank she was top dog and had found herself a lacky everything was fine and the two were inseparable the rest of their lives. It doesn't sound like Sushi is doing this if a fish died from injuries, but it might be that a passive fish may be an option, though risky one.

You know the rule about pictures if you get another fish ;)

I know 100% that fish do get depressed...my big orange oranda Indica will bottom sit when he is alone or if he doesn't like he qt tank he is in so i think a friend is a good idea. I think it's a good idea to get a fish the same size if not bigger than Sushi so he/she doesn't get "bag man" sindrome lol! If he does pick on the new fish you can a) get a divider b) re-home the new fish or c) put it in a tank by itself. Maybe sushi has been alone so long now that he won't bother the new fish simply b/c he will be happy to see it...you never know. Good luck, i will keep my fingers crossed for you and let us know what you decide!

I would try someting other then another telescope. Maybe a fantail? That way it can get away better if he tries to attack it. And then if he can't catch it maybe he well get bored. Or maybe get two to spread out the aggression.

Edited by Hidr

A fantail or Ryukin with emergency tank divider sounds good to me! both get nice and big and are strong swimmers, so they should be able to play nicely with Sushi, escaping him when needed.

I don't think I'd suggest getting a BN or Rubbernose pleco -Suchi seems like the type who would pick at the poor thing out of curiousity and drive him nuts!

Just from experence, when I first added Leelu to the tank she was a huge bully to Iko and I considered returning her back to the store. But after a couple days I noticed she was getting less aggressive and now they are best friends. Fish are weird like that sometimes.

I hope you can find a fish that Sushi will get along with!

:lol tell them you will put them in time out if they keep it up :rofl