Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chloeheartsfish

Clemmy'S Acting Strange

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 5-10

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? pH is 7.6, KH 120, GH 120

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? pH and Ammonia drops, all others strips, API

[*]Water temperature? room temp, unheated, 20 degrees?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gal hospital tank, running two months, seeded with materiel from 55

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? No name, ten gallon kit type filter

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 50% a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? one comet, almost 4 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime and salt to.3%

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? New Life Spectrum Goldfish formula, once every two days, about five pellets

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Salted to .3%, that's all

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nope

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? "shaking" her head from side to side sharply; darting about jerkily, "nervous" behaviour

Ok, so this is Clementine, my fish who is recovering from her time on the floor. Half her scales are gone and her tail and fins are tipped white and ragged, but I attribute that to her dried-uppedness. It's her behaviour that worries me.

Today she has been doing a couple of odd things. She was shaking her head sharply, almost like a person trying to knock water out of their ear would. She's also been darting around a bit - up to the surface mostly, then racing back down. She does not do it often, but enough for me to notice that she does do it. No other odd behaviour - no gasping, no laboured breathing, no bottom sitting. She actively forages among the few large rocks most of the time. But that head shaking has really freaked me out. It's like she has moments of hyperactivity or being startled.

I treated her and Boris for Flukes when I moved in here about four months ago. Do I need to run another course? Is she itchy from the scales coming back in?? ...can goldfish get itchy?? Is she just going stir-crazy from boredom?

Thanks guys. My poor Clem.

I think it's her nitrate that is 5-10, not nitrite. Nitrite at that level would instantly kill the fish.sad.gif

I was going to suggest the salt but I see you already added it, Chloe. Any photos of the affected area? Are there open wounds? I'm still baffled by the head shaking. Imo might know something here and explain better that I don't.

Okay, a few more thoughts...

When she fell, where did she fall? Carpet? Why did she jump to the floor? If her gills were coated with dust, then I think that might kinda explain the head-shaking. I don't see anything wrong with treating another round of praziquantel but I don't suspect flukes here so perhaps keep the prazi aside for now. It just doesn't strike me that flukes is involved the way you described her condition. How do her gills look?

Edited by Lupin

I know it has been a little while since she fell. Hmm. It sounds a little bit like parasitic behavior, but that is confusing. Any extra reddness around her gills? I know a prazi course wouldn't hurt. Sorry I'm not more helpful here.

Chloe, Clemmy fell out on November 23rd right? Does that mean you have had her in 0.3% salt for about 4 weeks? If so, I would attribute the shaking to the salt. Over longer stretches of time its effects can be reversed and it can become an irritant. Head shaking can mean there is an irritant in the water. Since the params read good I would say that irritant is the medicinal level salt.

I'd take it out slowly down to 0.1% for a few days and then out altogether. Maybe some melafix instead?

Also notice you have very soft water (gH - kH =0) meaning low mineral content even though you have stable pH with the high kH. Its just an idea but you may find wonder shells or some other mineral block might be longterm something to look into..maybe, I have little experience of them but have heard they work.

:heart

Thanks you guys!

I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you but I was out babysitting all day.

Trinket - I will slowly remove the salt. I wasn't sure how long to keep her salty for since she's got that big open spot without scales. I might have some melafix around here somewhere. Since this is a temporary tank it's the only one I don't have any crushed coral in the media basket, but I will scoop some out of another tank to use here. I had no idea about the KH-GH calculation, cool! You're so smart.

Lupin and Kelsang - I always always get the trites and trates mixed up! You are right, it's nitrate. She fell on hardwood flooring about four weeks ago, as Trinket calculated. Her gills look good. Clear and normal.

I am very relieved that it's possibly the salt and not something worse! Thanks again you guys. I'll keep you posted if anything changes!

Ahh..Good thing flukes don't seem involved as I thought earlier. Looks like Imo nailed it right there with the salt as the possible cause.