Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
benandjamie22

Eggs Eggs Everywhere!

So last night my three new fish were moved from QT b/c the ammonia levels were getting to 2.0 in just one day! They have all been prazi'd, treated with parisite clear and fungus clear. As a precaution I prazi'd the main tank and it's salted at .1% as of right now...i will be increasing the level of salt tomorrow. Everyone looks good and healthy so I was pretty comfortable adding the new fish.

Anyway I had suspected that my new Moor Poseidon was female (i'm not changing the name though lol) well this morning Citrus fish (my little yellow and white lionchu..who i had guessed was male a few months ago..even though he has no stars or tubes or anything) was just up Poseidon's butt and nudging her everywhere all morning until it was time to eat breakfast....i thought this was spawning behavior but citrus is tiny compaired to Poseidon so i didn't think anything about it. Then my red cap ( who has been in qt with the moor for over a week now and is about the same size but has no breeding stars yet) started bumping and follwing Poseidon everywhere..putting his face in her butt lol etc right before my water change...i was getting my stuff all set up and i looked up just in time to see Poseidon spraying eggs EVERYWHERE lol...it was amazing! She must have sprayed eggs like that like four of five times!! For some reason indica who is def a male wasn't bothering her which i thought was strange. I planned on just sucking the eggs out with my python b/c i have no where to keep fry at this point....I come back after turing the python on and there was a huge "net" of sperm in the water and Indica was swimming away from it...eeeewwwww!!! Unfortunately that didn't change the fact that i don't have room for babies so everything was cleaned up with the water change:(

I just thought the whole thing was super duper neat and thought i would share!

They're obviously full of the christmas spirit lol!!

Shame you couldn't keep any this time but at least you know they are willing and able for the future - always good to know what sex everyone is :)

WOW! That is cool, you shoulda taken some pics! Saucy little fish!

They're obviously full of the christmas spirit lol!!

:whistle:heart:rofl

lol they are showing their appreciation for their new home in the 75 gallon...crazy kids! Poseidon must have been filled to the brim with eggs b/c she just got done spraying again...geezzzz. I feel bad for her though...she hasn't gotten a break all morning!

What a surprise! Goldies have love on the mind besides food! LOL!

Really cool. Too bad you don't have room for fry...it is really neat that you would have known who the parents are.

Yay :rockon! Congratulations. Isn't it amazing to see them spray? Did they eat all the eggs? Sometimes a large water change (changing tanks in your case) encourages the eggs to come out...again and again...you should raise some fry!

It is so much fun.

lol thanks guys it's quite exciting! My entire tank is COVERED in eggs right now....the boys only tried to fertilize that one time. Yes they are eating the eggs...they have been snacking on them all day long...I'm debating on weather they are going to need dinner tonight though he he. I would really love to see what a moor/oranda cross would look like but unfortunately i'm not ready for fry yet:( Will the eggs rot or anything being in there like that...that is if they all don't get eaten?

Yes the ones that are well and truly stuck on the bottom or ornaments will start to get fuzzy fungus growths. Its best to try and scrape them down and do repeated water changes as they will make the water cloudy.

Also DONT feed again today, the eggs are extremely nutritious and also quite fatty. Think they have dined well enough already :heart

Ok they have been eating non stop all day long so i was wondering. Will it be alright to vaccum them up once a week? How many eggs can she possibly have...seriously the amount the poor girl has put out today is absolutely nuts! And will my red cap stop pestering her eventually...he's got to be annoying the crap out of her!

There's only so many eggs in her...it wont go on that long. Maybe every few days for about a week. The big worry is her getting stressed out. If she starts to hide and bottom sit that is whats happening. Its sometimes tricky as you dont know if she is bottom sitting bloated with more eggs on their way or if she has finished and is just plain exhausted. I lost a fish once to exhaustion from egg spraying so do keep an eye on her, but mostly they can handle it!!

Well he seems to be letting her have a break right now...for the first few hours this morning he was non stop! I can't imagine her having many more in here i mean WOW she has released so many eggs today i'm kind of in shock lol! Weird thing is that the boys only did their job one time if you catch my drift lol...lazy men hahahahahaha~

Oh.........maybe the attraction wore off :o lol. Guys like curves :rofl

I doubt it lmao...she's a pretty sexy moor if you ask me!

lol :D

Congrats, dahling!:D Aren't orandas so sexy?yeah.gif

Can you imagine what a black moor and an orange oranda would look like....an oranda with telescope eyes??!!!

Of course orandas are sexy lupin....that's why they are my fave...although my orandas are pretty fond of my moor!

Oooohhhh...Had you seen Pandaoranda's telescope x oranda cross, Jamie???

ooohhh i did see that i just didn't think of it....sweet! I think it was indica that tried to fertilize the eggs but it was the red cap that was causing her to spray the eggs everywhere...could you imagine a moor with a goosehead wen lol!!!

PS: did you see my new red cap?! It's even prettier than Lelu was!

Hmmm..Not yet I think? unsure.gif

I posted a thread when i first got them and then there is a video from a couple of days ago...you have to see him!