Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ranchugal

Unbelievable Goldfish Playing Fetch!

Very cute! But why is your water soooo green?

How cute!:)

Gigi, most people do keep their tanks green as the floating algae encourages much better coloration and body development. Some people find that unsightly but it can be beneficial for goldfish for the reasons above. Of course, you need to ensure there is enough oxygen especially during the night since algae undergo respiration process thus competing with the fish for oxygen supply.

I've heard of people that like algae but that was really green! I can't believe with regular water changes it would remain THAT green. To each his own I guess... It is very cute fish and very smart fish!

Green water is actually very benifical, it's not dirty. We have a few very experienced keepers who keep their prized fish in green water. It's not meant for looks as much as the health of the fish.

Very very cool little trick though, I've never seen anything like that!

How freaking awesome!! What a smart little guy! Loved the Extreme rockin in the background as well ;).

That's pretty neat, my fish would just try to eat it though, they try to eat anything I put in their tank including my fingers, siphon, and the thermometer when I first put it in :doh11:

Fish are smart. That's why I hate when people go fishing.

I just have some questions.

Is the only time the fish gets fed is when it fetches that thing? That's mean.

Is it in that big tank alone?

Where are the plants and hiding places?

And I certainly hope that green water is healthy.

I think your first question is plainly inconclusive, Kindlykritter. The ranchu is perfectly healthy to me. It does not imply she has cruel intentions to her fish nor was the fish seemingly insufficiently fed when you asked if she only feeds when the fish is really hungry until it learns to fetch. I would not jump to this conclusion. People find a way to train their pets properly without abusing them.

I personally commend Ranchugal for giving time to interact and train with her pet. Not a lot of us would have done the same. It certainly disproves these rubbish myths including this 3-second memory myth. I am fairly certain some critics would not find another way to counter the fact goldfish are very intelligent as proven by the video Ranchugal shared to us.

Green water is healthy. As I had said earlier, algae itself is very nutritious and certainly promotes better coloration and growth. Trinket raises her family of telescopes in the same way as does Carol (daryl). Both are well respected staff who have proven a lot of things are possible despite some acknowledging otherwise. Being a member of a few forums myself, I have noticed how quick people criticize when the goldfish tanks are tainted with green floating algae. I honestly was on the same boat before until I began doing the same thing myself with my ponds. That was when I noticed a large difference in their body development compared to the lack of algae thereof.

Just hoping to clarify some matters here.:)

I wanna know:

1) What traing method is used?

2) How long did it take to train him?

3) Did you have to find a "more trainable" fish or will your method work on any fish?

I think your first question is plainly inconclusive, Kindlykritter. The ranchu is perfectly healthy to me. It does not imply she has cruel intentions to her fish nor was the fish seemingly insufficiently fed when you asked if she only feeds when the fish is really hungry until it learns to fetch. I would not jump to this conclusion. People find a way to train their pets properly without abusing them.

I personally commend Ranchugal for giving time to interact and train with her pet. Not a lot of us would have done the same. It certainly disproves these rubbish myths including this 3-second memory myth. I am fairly certain some critics would not find another way to counter the fact goldfish are very intelligent as proven by the video Ranchugal shared to us.

Green water is healthy. As I had said earlier, algae itself is very nutritious and certainly promotes better coloration and growth. Trinket raises her family of telescopes in the same way as does Carol (daryl). Both are well respected staff who have proven a lot of things are possible despite some acknowledging otherwise. Being a member of a few forums myself, I have noticed how quick people criticize when the goldfish tanks are tainted with green floating algae. I honestly was on the same boat before until I began doing the same thing myself with my ponds. That was when I noticed a large difference in their body development compared to the lack of algae thereof.

Just hoping to clarify some matters here.:)

Oops. My apologies to Ranchugal. I read her post too fast. I thought she just found that video on the internet someplace and was sharing it. I didn't know it was her fish demonstrating that talent. Sorry Rancugal. Cute, talented fish.

But I would like to know where the plants and other fish are. lol.

Thanks Lupin for the advice on the green water.

Did y'all see this other video that I saw on YouTube with Ranchugal's? This is really too much. I mean, this fish is ready for the olympics. lol.

Yeah, that was an impressive feat. I kept watching the video not believing what I saw at first because it seemed the ranchu must have a brain transplant from a dolphin to seemingly fetch the hoop just like that.:P

I do wonder now about this video from Japan about four goldfish swimming in a fixed pattern. Was the magnet rumor true? The magnet rumor detailed that the goldfish were fed with magnets and then the opposite side was placed at the bottom and the goldfish moved in fixed pattern as a result. The only thing that does not make sense is the fish never struggled at all if they were forced to swim by magnet.

Hmmm...How much intelligence does goldfish really have if they can do this while I have yet to see a few other fish do the same thing except perhaps for cichlids? Nature mystifies us all the time.unsure.gif

Hi guys, sorry that I have not replied faster. A big thank you to all the great comments and especially to Lupin. Do not worry, I know that it is often a misunderstanding about the benefits of green water. I know of some goldfish owners who would put buckets of water in their balcony to sun it so that it becomes green. I think the cichild breed can be trained too, but personally (I guess because I am a girl) so I like to raise the ranchu because it is just more cute and chubby. It is not overfed, I train it slowly over about 1 month period. Hope this clarifies some concerns.

EDIT: The method of training is found in the sidebar of the video.

Edited by ranchugal

I had thought your training session took even longer which would be frustrating. Thanks for clarifying that, RG! Perseverance really paid you off.Flowers.gif

I'm a guy but I lost interest in cichlids even though I used to keep a few myself. I had hoped to return to goldfish, my first love but something kept me away from it until someone convinced me this time with her constant babbling about her own goldfish. How could I miss they actually are as personable as cichlids can ever be?post-4056-1113060392.gif