Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
feelmyarmsbreak

Another Pleco Id

hi there,

i just inherited this monster from a friend and want to know if it is goldie friendly before i get it anywhere near my babies. he is beautiful. if someone can identify him, i would sure appreciate it. i would love to keep him... if not i have a lfs that would surely take him.

thanks

reid

bigpleco2.jpg

bigpleco.jpg

Common pleco? A lot of people do not trust those guys with goldies, I have a tiny one and he never has bothered them!

hi there,

i just inherited this monster from a friend and want to know if it is goldie friendly before i get it anywhere near my babies. he is beautiful. if someone can identify him, i would sure appreciate it. i would love to keep him... if not i have a lfs that would surely take him.

thanks

reid

bigpleco2.jpg

bigpleco.jpg

Can't identify him I'm afraid but most certainly agree with you on him being beautiful! Hope he's compatible & you can keep him.

TC

How big is he? Looks like a common to me, but I may be wrong. I had a common pleco for years, grew to 9 inches. Eventually, I had to find him a new home because he started sucking on my Ranchu.

He looks like a Tiger or Clown Pleco to me... I'm not sure if they're compatible with goldfish or not though.

You should take this pic to a pleco forum - those guys could ID him for you in about ten seconds! I haven't lurked on a pleco forum in a long time, I miss it. They are truly the geekiest of the fish geeks, and I just love geekiness.

Many plecos have not been properly described yet, so they have "L numbers" and not names - like L149. there are hundreds of pleco types out there. I personally can only ID Zebra plecos, rubbernoses and bristlenoses.

wow! thanks for all the help. i will see what i can find and let you all know.

thanks

reid

someone told me that he is a hypostomus, but certainly not a common.

does this mean that he is not goldie compatible?

thanks everyone!

reid

Hypostomus is only the genus, which the common pleco is also a part of, so that doesn't help very much, but at least it's a start since there are literally hundreds of different plecos. It could be Hypostomus Borellii or Hypostomus Boulengeri...

2.jpgBorellii

1.jpgBoulenger

But they don't look exactly right...Not sure about compatibility.

Edited by Aiyklen

Hypostomus boulengeri

so says the pleco forum. good job aiyklen. i agree that they look a bit different, but im sure that breeding and the way they are cared for means just as much as with anything. i am not going to put this guy with my goldies... but what to do with him? i sure dont love the idea of getting rid of him. hes just so darn pretty. guess i might have a new project. thanks for all the help everyone.

reid