Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
emilydelong

So I Guess I Got Some New Fish

I have been keeping my sister's oranda in my QT for the last 2 weeks because she "couldn't handle" salting his tank (he had some beat up fins and prominent red veins in his fins). Well tonight I came home from work, went up to my room to change, and found 3 new fish in my 10 gallon QT. I asked my mom where they came from. My sister had dropped them off and my mom put them up there (I was pleasantly surprised the she knew to put them in there instead of the 90 gal). I called my sister. She told me that while I was taking care of the oranda, that she didn't want an empty tank, so she bought 3 more fish for the tank (2 orandas and either a ryukin or fantail). Then, today they decided that they didn't want to keep goldfish because they would be limited to how many they could have, so she dropped them off here and then bought a bunch of tropicals. I was thinking about having her take them back, but I would rather keep them and know that they are going to be taking care of.

Good thing I was already tank shopping!

Wow, that's a lot of unexpected additions all at once! How are they all doing and, of course, where's pics?!

My tanks are off limits to anyone. If they expect to get some new fish for me, they just put them in clean buckets until I arrive home. I told them every new fish is quarantined and should therefore not be combined with my other stocks.bingo.gif

Wow, that's an interesting surprise... you'll share photos, right? :D

What types are they?

Penguin, she mentioned two orandas and a ryukin/fantail.:)

Here's what I got before my camera died:

100_4146.jpg

100_4154.jpg

100_4159.jpg

100_4167.jpg

100_4168.jpg

100_4156.jpg

And then Cauliflower, who I was already taking care of for her.

100_4073.jpg

Penguin, she mentioned two orandas and a ryukin/fantail.:)

Oops. Apparently, I need to pay more attention :P

I like the little daisies.heartpump.gif

Those are some seriously good looking fish! Lucky you! You better start looking for a couple of 125 gallons or something! That first oranda is very unusual, I've never seen an oranda with such a smooth wen.

You really should make sure your sister understands that she can't just buy animals, get bored of them or change her mind and then ditch them on someone else. How old is she? It's great that they've gone to a good home but with the huge space requirements goldfish are a lot of responsibility, as you're aware, and I bet she doesn't contribute to the tank. That extra 40 gallons is gonna put a big extra chunk on the new tank, plus you'll need to buy more prazi and salt to deal with them. We have two dwarf hamsters my boyfriend really really wanted, I was dubious in the first place, now we've had to split them up and have four hamster cages around the house as our syrian has two stuck together. The last thing I need is 4 cages but they are our responsibility and we'll take good care of them regardless, she should really be doing the same.

Those are some seriously good looking fish! Lucky you! You better start looking for a couple of 125 gallons or something! That first oranda is very unusual, I've never seen an oranda with such a smooth wen.

You really should make sure your sister understands that she can't just buy animals, get bored of them or change her mind and then ditch them on someone else. How old is she? It's great that they've gone to a good home but with the huge space requirements goldfish are a lot of responsibility, as you're aware, and I bet she doesn't contribute to the tank. That extra 40 gallons is gonna put a big extra chunk on the new tank, plus you'll need to buy more prazi and salt to deal with them. We have two dwarf hamsters my boyfriend really really wanted, I was dubious in the first place, now we've had to split them up and have four hamster cages around the house as our syrian has two stuck together. The last thing I need is 4 cages but they are our responsibility and we'll take good care of them regardless, she should really be doing the same.

She's 30. She really should know better, but she has a history of this. In the last 8 years, she's had 2 rabbits, 10 cats, and 3 dogs.

I'm thinking about getting something between 90 and 150 gal. I can leave up to 8 of my fancies in my 90 gal that I have right now and then put the rest in the new tank.

They are absolutely stunning. I love the cute little ryukin. Congrats on new beautiful free fish!

Ahh this is the sister with the odd habit of losing cats isn't it? Sounds like you've got a plan in place for dealing with your new additions but you might want to leave some space for a tropical tank...is there nothing you can get your parents to do? I know that refusing to take them might have nasty repercussions for the pets involved but it's really not fair on the other people involved, I think I read a rant about her before...

Yes, Sarah, that's her. My parents are hoping that one day she'll wake up and be more responsible. :doh11:

One of those....sorry you have to deal with that. You can bring your goldies and come live with me??? Not that my house doesn't already contain too many tanks and cages compared to the amount of space :krazy:

One of those....sorry you have to deal with that. You can bring your goldies and come live with me??? Not that my house doesn't already contain too many tanks and cages compared to the amount of space :krazy:

Very tempting, but it's a hassle to move fish and tanks across the ocean! I'm moving to Lansing in a couple years for the vet program, then I won't have to deal with her anymore. It sounds bad/mean since she's my sister, but if you knew her, you'd understand.

And it is so hard because you are such an animal lover. You understand the responsibilty in taking any animal in. I get so frustrated with people who don't get that a kitten will turn into a cat who will mostly sit on your bed and be a great friend to you for the next twenty years if you are lucky. A kitten is fun and playful, but you are getting it for the grown up it will become not for a whim. Sigh...so frustrating.

Congrats on the new additions :) They are all beautiful!!!

Oh my gosh! You are handling all that very well. I would be so pi##&*f i couldn't see straight. To walk into a bunch of someones else's fish. Without them asking. I could go on. But i won't. But i am glad you are happy because that pretty much makes it okay. And i am loving the Orandas. :heart:heart:heart:heart

beautiful orandas! I love them all! i will gladly take them if you dont want them! :)

Oh my gosh! You are handling all that very well. I would be so pi##&*f i couldn't see straight. To walk into a bunch of someones else's fish. Without them asking. I could go on. But i won't. But i am glad you are happy because that pretty much makes it okay. And i am loving the Orandas. :heart:heart:heart:heart

Oh, believe me, I had about an hour long rant, cursing up and down the walls. Funny thing is, I had told my sister when I agreed to treat Cauliflower for her that I COULD NOT keep him. I told her I have no room and that she bought him, so he's her fish, not mine, and she agreed to take him back.

Well, if you really can't handle them, I have some extra space in my tanks. (I have an empty 20 gallon and room for 1 more in my 40). I am not that far from you, and ready and willing to take one of those beauties!