Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest secuono

55G 6 Golds ^.^

Guest secuono

I only have one air pump and my 120g warmwater tank in my garage is using it. I do not have money for another air pump yet. I need to buy 2 more, 3 heaters and prolly 1 more filter, so...lol

I only have one air pump and my 120g warmwater tank in my garage is using it. I do not have money for another air pump yet. I need to buy 2 more, 3 heaters and prolly 1 more filter, so...lol

In that case put the kiddie pool next to that tank and run a gang valve off of that pump and you can use those to add sponge filters in the kiddie pool. I recommend using the hyrdo 5 sponge filter.

Guest secuono

Nope, 120g is in the garage, aka freezing temps. I don't have a heater for the Golds. I had to move them up into the living room for winter.

Guest secuono

Hmm, my Male Shubunkin is suddenly acting afraid and skiddish, I also saw him flash a few times after dinner.

Also, one of my newer commons has been fighting(?) with my larger comet, any reason why?

I feel badly that people keep reminding you that you're overstocked. :( Obviously you're doing the best you can. I tend to think that people should really know when to mind their own; that being said however, I would pipe up if I saw any goldfish in a bowl or the equivalent in size!

Anyways, your fish are cute, I especially like the calico ryukin!

Guest secuono

Shub is acting normal again, I added some Kordon herbal Ich & Fungus meds and a drop of QuickCure that same night and it seemed to really help. I'm going to post a video of the happy fishes. I think if I was really overstocked for their size and tank, they wouldn't be doing as well as they are or acting so cheery when they see me walk by.

Guest secuono

Click to play Videos, will open a new window/tab.

th_DSCN3867.jpg

Edited by secuono

Great video. But it's weird. That is nothing like what my tank looks like from the top. I could post a video and it would be a hilarious difference but i am too lazy at the moment. But anyway all you can see are LIPS LIPS LIPS everywhere! :D

Guest secuono

Yea, it's not feeding time, it's look at me time, lol. I usually sit in front of the tank watching them or taking pix and they swim around posing or dancing and being silly. I soak their food before I give it to them, so unless I disturb the water's surface, they wont bother going up.

Were you fish sick or did you just treat them with those meds to make the one stop picking on the other?

Guest secuono

One was sick and I don't have another filter for a qt tank, so I always treat the whole tank. I don't give full doses either because most of the time, it's unnecessary.

I didn't do anything about the Gold that was starting fights, it seems to only be around food time. So I will be watching them when they eat to make sure they don't hurt each other.

Edited by secuono

Guest secuono

I know you guys might have issues about giving meds when they don't have a bad infection, but for me, it's always worked to give them a fraction of meds to keep it from becoming a real problem. If it say's one drop per gallon for 55g, I will only add about 5-10 max in total instead of the full 55 drops.

Yeah but ick meds are really hard on fish, a lot of us won't even use ick meds if our fish do have ick. That quick cure you were talking about is some really strong stuff containing malchite green AND formilun (formaldehyde) can't imagine this being good for your fish when they aren't sick. If you end up getting a sick fish i would reccommend posting on here in the diagnosis part of the forum so someone can help you diagnose your fish and tell you exactly how to treat it.

Guest secuono

Well finally someone told me about Quickcure, since I've been asking a million times in diff chats n forums and people either know nothing about it or don't have much to say.

It's like the toughest of the tough ick med....you could have asked someone here and i'm sure someone would have told you about it.

Guest secuono

Well, either way, they are all fine and acting like their good 'ol selves. I'll withhold on the Blue stuff next time and just use the herbal.

Do he fish actually have ick? Is one of them just acting funny or something? If you are having a problem with one of your babies you can just post in the 911 or disease diagnosis section of the forum, answer all the questions at the top in the box and then someone cal help you determine what is wrong with the fish so you can treat it approprately. That way you aren't using unnecessary meds on the fish for something they don't have:)

Guest secuono

No point in it now, after the stuff I gave them, he is acting normal again.

But I do have a Q about what fins should look like. In this pic, I circled the start of the fins. There are white spots/blotches on them on my two original fish, Shub & Comet, but they were always there. Is that normal?

DSCN2810mmhhkjh.jpg

Hmm it's hard to see what you are talking about in the pics....do they kink of look like ribs? On the start of a dorsal there is usually like a hard piece in the front that kind of looks hard...it's what actually raises and lowers the dorsal fin same with the front fins on the fish. If your fish are male and of breeding age (all depends on genetics on when they reach "adult male" status) they will have what looks like hard spots in their dorsals and it will kind of look like sugar (imo that's what it looks like) along the front...those are breeding tubes. Is there any way you could get a closer pic of just one of the fins?

Guest secuono

Since I moved them out of the freezing garage, there's no slowing them down. So no, I can't get a better pic, they wont sit still, lol. On the Comet, one looks like ribs when viewed with the fin going away from you.

Well it sounds like the fins are normal then....they have to have a way to control them you know? If you look in my sig at the white fish named lelu you can see her's on her dorsal...is this what you are talking about?

Guest secuono

Small pic, but I guess so. I was thinking it was normal, just wanted to make sure.

Guest secuono

There's a 3in gold Dojo loach in with the Golds now.