Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest secuono

55G 6 Golds ^.^

Since you can't get a bigger tank rehoming two or three would be doing the best you can. Keeping them is not the best for them. Sorry but my concern is for the fist first. Well always be. And it should be for you too.

You wanted help for your fish. I am sorry you don't like what needs to be done.

Edited by Hidr

Guest secuono

There are other people who have the same amount of fish in their tanks and the tank is even smaller than mine, or more fish and only slightly bigger tank. They are on this forum and no one is telling them to change. They fish are small, thus they WILL NOT be moved. They have plenty of space for their size and don't even use all of it.

After the move, all the fish were chasing the ryukin and seemingly trying to breed with her and/or chasing the other fish that just tried to breed with it.

shub and comet chased the calico ryukin, then the commons. commons chased the comet/shub in return, but those two(commons) didn't follow the ryukin. were they just annoyed and scaring off the fish that followed them? I am guessing the shub and comet are male.

Guest secuono

well, I'm selling the 30g and 55g. They will be in smaller tanks now. So when those are sold, these guys will be temp. split up as follows;

shubunkin + comet in the 20g

2 commons in the 10g

2 ryukin in the 55 livebearer tank

Guest Melodium

I'm going to echo what everyone else has said to you in this thread...

You need to consider rehoming your fish. It doesn't matter how "small" you consider them, they have a HUGE waste output and need to be in larger tanks.

Each of your single tail fish should have a minimum 20 gallons EACH. That means that your comet, shubunkin, and 2 commons need 20 gallons each. Even then, single tails get quite large and I'd really recommend them as pond fish more than tank fish unless you have super filtration and religious water changes.

By moving your ryukins to a livebearer tank, do you mean they're going in a tropical tank? That really isn't a good idea. Goldfish have very different needs than tropical livebearers.

Listen, it may seem like people are ganging up on you and telling you things you don't want to hear... But this is the best for your fish. Please listen to the advice people are giving you! We are here to help your fish and you!!

Guest tiffsgold

I havent been at this forum as long as a lot of the others, but I will say, as far as my OWN EXPERIENCE that keeping the 2 comets in the 10 gallon tank is gonna be quite a chore!(Its already been stated, and by now you know that they need a bigger tank than that so theres no need to get into it)I have 2 black moor frys that are rescues and are currently in a 10 gallon tank, because of QT, and I dont want to worry about overstocking my 40 gallon while I already have 3 babies in there already. But in my experience, trying to keep the water parameters stable is not easy in a tank that small.The two fry I have in there right now are quite a bio load, and here in the next 2 months are gonna have to go into a 70 gallon along with my other 3. An awesome place to check for cheap tanks is CRAIGSLIST, I got a 35 gallon for free, and there's even someone selling a 90 gallon that SUPER TEMPTING for 125 tank, stand, canopy, filters and all.

Guest secuono

I know about CL, and I've been looking forever with little luck.

As for waste, there are so many sites claiming to be experts and knowing everything about them. One site says one thing, the other, totally different things.

And for heat, same thing.

I am going to ignore every bit of 'advise' and prolly will delete my account since all I am getting is the same thing and none of it is what I asked for.

We understand that you are trying your best and will always do our best to support both you and your fish, no one is intentionally attacking you and no one means to offend. There are some very knowledgeable people here who have taught me a whole lot and their advice WORKS!!

I imagine the reason you haven't found the answers you were looking for is the way you have been speaking to everyone. I understand how expensive fish keeping can be, we are all feeling the pinch of this recession and if your current tanks are the best you can offer right now then that is totally fair enough. Your fish should be ok in the short term in these tanks as long as you keep on top of regular water changes but in the longer term to offer them the quality of life they deserve it really would be worth saving for that big tank. If you do decide to stick around I know everyone here will be happy to hear how your fish are doing and help out with any issues.

How did all of this go so horribly, horribly wrong? I am so sorry. This really is a very nice forum even if it doesn't seem that way right now. And i know that is how it seems. People around here just REALLY love their goldies. Stick around. You won't be sorry. Sure there are other ways of taking care of goldies. But what these guys are doing on here is working. And you can benefit from their knowledge IF you chose to. All of this crap in this thread can be forgotten in a few days so don't give up. This really is a great place to learn from. And your goldies deserve the best. Welcome!!!!!!

Guest secuono

Before I read the new comments, I might have a 60 gallon coming in the next few days. I know it's only 5g more, but it's a plus, no? I'm selling the 10 and 30g soon, hopefully I can afford more than the 60 afterward.

Guest secuono

All I wanted was comments on the actual fish, not the home they are in.

I hear people saying that their Golds rip out plants. Mine did that only to the plants that were too close to the glass. They made a path for themselves and left the others alone. Maybe that's what other Goldies are doing too?

Guest secuono

Btw, the Golds LOVE having the tank up here. They get to make faces at the dogs, even a rabbit or two that escape. Water is a bit warmer, so they are far more active and It's also warmer for me, so I can sit and watch them. Only down side is that they seem to be too fast for my cam now. That or my cam's settings are off. I get a weird shadow, so no new pics until I work that out. I've bought plants for my other tanks, what should I get for the Golds? Any good egg laying plants they seem to like?

That's great you might have a 60 :) Upgrading in stages seems to work really well for some people and it's often the easiest way when money is tight, I know that's why I did it that way. My tank was overstocked briefly when I was waiting for my 59 gall to arrive and my fish were fine with frequent water changes. It's great you're sticking around - everyone here is lovely and you'll find some awesome friends!

Your goldies are really cute, it's good to hear they're more active now they're warmer!

Guest secuono

I went from a 55g to a 120g for my warmwater fish. I was going to go from a 55 to a 110g for the Golds, but i was a few $10s short...

I know everyone has those really HUGE tanks. But i can't figure them out! :unsure: I mean my 55 gallon is so deep i practically have to go swimming to get to the bottom. :bath when I move rocks around or clean off the red gunk. I REALLY don't understand how to take care of a big tank!! But i would love to have a :druel 100 gallon tank myself!!! :druel Good luck on the hunt. :goodluck

I know what you mean! Doing water changes for my 59 gallon nearly breaks my back each week and I have to stand on a chair to reach the bottom to move anything around!! Huge tanks look so amazing though so I guess it would be worth it!

Guest secuono

My 120 is on 6 8IN cinder blocks, so it's low, but I like it like that. Easy to get to all spots. It's easier for me to clean the 120 than the two 55s. lol. My Golds 55 is also 8IN off the ground on 4 blocks. Livebearer tank is on a reg. stand and it annoys me so much since I have to get on a stand to reach in.

Oh, bad news. The 60g I was going to buy, turns out it's a 55, owner gave me the dimensions and it's the same as my two 55s. So, anyone have a 60g or larger in VA???

My 55 gallon tank is on a stand a smidge over 3 feet high!!! I thought it would be cool to have it a little taller. So it could be seen over the couch. WRONG!!! I have to use a step ladder. And i have wheels on my filters. I have to get the ladder out all the time to make sure they are turning! Huge mistake that isn't easily remedied. Oh well. The goldies are worth it. Keep watching craigslist. Something will turn up. People get tired of their setups all the time. Seems like there are a lot of impulse buys where aquariums are concerned. And if you check every day something has to eventually catch your eye. With enough fresh water and (your hard labor)they will be fine until you find something.

Guest secuono

Need help picking names.

shub and comet are males.

calico ryukin is a female.

callin the little ryukin a boy, common all gold female, common w/black male.

Guest secuono

Goldfish for sale! email me

secuono@gmail.com

Guest secuono

I do 20QT w/c every day on the 55g tank. I was able to get some free plants for the tank as well, which they love. The water stays at around 67F, I took some kid's roll paper and painted it black. Once it's dry, I will attach it to the back of their tank, also made one for my 55g Livebearer tank. My 120g warmwater tank is taller than the roll, so I will have to do it in two steps for them. Anyway, here is a pic w/o the black but with the plants. ^.^

DSCN3686m.jpg

Guest secuono

Ok, here is the tank with the black background.

DSCN3698.jpg?t=1257098619

Not much of a difference since the room's walls are dark brown, lol.

Edited by secuono

It looks very nice!

Guest secuono

I have an odd question, I might have to sell my golds 55g tank. I was wondering if I could use a kiddie pool for them to live in? It is about 8IN deep, 4ft diameter, no slide, just empty space.

I have an odd question, I might have to sell my golds 55g tank. I was wondering if I could use a kiddie pool for them to live in? It is about 8IN deep, 4ft diameter, no slide, just empty space.

Yeah that'll be fine. Do you have an air pump? I wouldn't move them just yet if you don't...well actually even if you do. You can buy some cheap sponge filters to run off of your air pump that way .

Edited by brandon