Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jen626

Georgie And/Or Lisa Are Mommies!

I just moved Fry, my teeny black moor our of my 55 gallon tank so that Georgie (who is female), my black/blue oranda that I bought at the Portland goldfish show could move in after two months in qt. Everyone seemed to mbe getting along well the first night and before I went to bed last night I noticed Leela, my male one-eyed black moor, chasing Georgie and Lisa (calico telescope) around.

A few monites ago I looked over at the tank and saw Lisa being all floaty and upside down for a minute and freaked out. But then I went over to the tank I saw EGGS everywhere! Not sure if they are Lisa'a or Georgie's or both. I am not sure if they got fertilized though, the yucky bubbly stuff that usually appears when my other fish breed wasn't present, so I don't know if Leela and Bart finished the job or not.

Just to see I took the egg covered filter intake off one of the filters and popped it into a bowl of water to see if anything hatches. This is what I did the first time Cherry, Johnny, Pony Boy and Soda Pop bred-I took about 100 eggs thinking nothing would happen, 70 hatched and I ended up with two beautiful fish. Usually I just let them eat the eggs because I am too lazy to raise fry but this is the first time my telescope tank has tried to breed so I figure what the heck? I doubt these will hatch, especially since they are fancies and I am not trying very hard, but I am still so thrilled that they are healthy and happy enough to breed. :-)

Edited by jen626

wow that sounds so exciting!!!!keep us posted please :)

I always wanted to breed my teles, but could get them in the mood...lol...you are so lucky. cant wait to see the pics

LOL, I wish I would have pics but I don't think I will actually get any fry. They did get fertilized though, I wasn't sure, as I am used to my giant commons/comets breeding and they make a HUGE MESS!

But since I didn't know they were going to breed I didn't have anything in there to catch the eggs, I don't even have gravel so they are all stuck to the bottom of the tank and mostly got eaten. There are two in the tank that I can see, stuck to the side, that have baby fish in them, but I don't think I can get them out without smooshing them so they will probbly be lunch for mom and dad or get sucked into the filters. :-(

I took the filter intake off one of the filters that had eggs stuck to it and put it in a bowl to see if any in there would hatch but most of those turned white and fungusy so I doubt anything will come of that. Now that I can probably get them in the mood though I may try it for real (with an egg mop)...as much of a pain in the butt as fry are I would LOVE to have little baby telescopes or telescope/oranda combos...wonder what THAT looks like, lol?

The sad news is I think my teeny black moor, Fry, is not going to make it (post in 911) :-(

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! There are some tiny fry in the tank and I want to get them out but I can't. I actually tried to get one out and I am pretty sure in the process I splashed him out of the tank into the carpet :-( My fish are terrible parents and are running around gobbling them up. Grrrr. I may actually TRY to breed them one time, with an egg mop and everything. My other fry were accidental and I got lucky by taking eggs that were stuck to the filter intake. But telescope (with possible oranda mixed in!) fry would be SO CUTE! Oh well. Here's to next time!

EDIT: There is at least one fry in the little bowl I put the filter intake in the day they laid the eggs, so i have at least one that is out of the tank. I am 99.9999 % sure I won't get any live ones but still. :-)

Edited by jen626

Just an update: In the bowl where I put the filter intake with eggs there are at least 6 fry that I can see, and I actually saved one from the big tank. We shall see though, they are SO TINY!

Eee! That's so exciting! I hope they survive! Super cute!

That is so cool!!!Please keep us up to date... and pic's asap!! when there big enough (LOL)I hope they make it!!!

Well, they are moved from their butter dish home into a tank now, i think there are about 25 fry. What happens when you cross an oranda with a black moor? LOL. I don;t know if any of them will make it, last time I pulled out 70 eggs and got 2 fish, so the odds are against me, plus I have heard that fancies are more fragile. But I will certainly give it a shot!

I can't remember if you are supposed to have an airstone in there with them? I have a sponge filter seasoning for whtn they get bigger, but couldn't remember if I used air last time. Off to search old posts and look for my goldfish books...

Here are some pics, although they are still REALLY teeny:

You can see two of them pretty well here

fry.jpg

Most of them are blurry here but you can see a few

fry2.jpg

Well, they are moved from their butter dish home into a tank now, i think there are about 25 fry. What happens when you cross an oranda with a black moor? LOL. I don;t know if any of them will make it, last time I pulled out 70 eggs and got 2 fish, so the odds are against me, plus I have heard that fancies are more fragile. But I will certainly give it a shot!

I can't remember if you are supposed to have an airstone in there with them? I have a sponge filter seasoning for whtn they get bigger, but couldn't remember if I used air last time. Off to search old posts and look for my goldfish books...

Here are some pics, although they are still REALLY teeny:

You can see two of them pretty well here

fry.jpg

Most of them are blurry here but you can see a few

fry2.jpg

Also, Koko sent me a pic of an oranda/telescope cross, pretty cool! http://www.goldenphoenixfisheries.com/MB%20-%20red%20white%20dragoneye%20oranda.jpg

I see the teeny little babies. Good luck!

How COOL!!! You think they are Oranda/Moor mixed? Man, I wanna see that!! Shoot I WANT ONE!!! :) That would be one neat combo!!!

Quick update...I ende dup with about 25 hatched fry and sadly I am down to four. Most of did that thing where they get to a certain age...10 days maybe?...and they sort of curl up and die. But if I even got one out of 25 hatchlings that would be amazing.

Also, they bred again yesterday and I did the same thing with the filter intake so i have more eggs. AND later today i went and bought those plants that go on the bottom of the tank like grass so next time I can actually remove most of the eggs instead of scrounging around!