Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
benandjamie22

One More Lighting Question

I had asked a while ago about what kind of bulb to use in my hood, everyone reccommended fluroescent bubls. I went and got a 36" 30w fluroescent bulb from the hardware store that said cool white, put it in my hood and it looks TERRIBLE it puts an awful yellow cast in my tank and makes it look kind of dirty. What type of fluroescent bulb should i be getting I can't stand the yellow cast..if it has a cast at all i would a blue so it makes my water look just as crisp and clean as it is! Any help would be greatly appreciated as usual!

Try going to a pet store. They have incandescents, but they also carry flourescents. I bought my flourescent at WM for $5 and it lights up so well that I only have to use one, but that may be because I only have a 10 gallon. The only thing with flourescents is that algae grows much quicker when left on for long periods of time.

Edited by whitner

oh, i did....brought it home..put it in my hood...and it made my fish GLOW like they were in a black light without the purple color lol! Today was my 2nd shot at a new bulb and it truely was awful! I have a natural daylight bulb in there now but I want whatever type of bulb that's in my smaller tank, it has absolutely no markings on it and they woman i got it from had no idea what kind it was so my search continues!

the one i bought is daylight. and it isn't yellow at all. it says daylight ecolux t12. Bot if it isn't t12 that you need the bulbs were called something different.

Flourecent bulbs that are designed for plants work well. They give off a different hue that makes the tank look cleaner and the fish look brighter. Plant bulbs are very similar to aquarium bulbs color wise.

Thanks guys. I was reading last night that any bulb that's 10,000 k and up give off that slightly blue hugh that i'm loving in my smaller tank. I was looking at some with that rating but they say stuff about marine tanks would this be too hot to use in my hood for my goldies?

Phillips and GE are two major brands of floresent bulb fixtures and bulbs. Go to thier websites.

I wish I could help more but I threw out all my catalogs when I closed my Electrical business. Never had the pleasure of working on Aquariums.

Thanks I will do that!

Is that a snapping turtle in your picture? Please tell me thats not one of the critters that took up residence in your Koi pond lol!