Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kerriliu

Horrific Scene At Local Pet Store

Hi, I'm a newbie and I'm at the end of the fishless cycling. I went to the local megachain petstore with my little one to get couple goldfish. There were about four cubicles at the pet store for goldfish. Each cubicle had about 10-20 goldfish in it. Most of the fish were dead, I think, because they were lifeless and stayed at the bottom. I'm not sure if they were dead because they weren't belly-up. And some fish looked like they were stuck by the filter. The scene was disturbing for me and my three year old. I understand that this was probably no big deal for a petstore, but why they did't remove those dead looking fish.

And for the few fish that were still alive, they didn't look healthy. There were tiny little white dots on the fins and body. Only 1-2 of the entire goldfish section looked okay.

Where can I get my fish? Should I go save the only ones that looked okay?

Hi Goldlover. Welcome to Koko's! Many have had similar experiences with their big chain store fish department. I would not suggest buying from a selection of unhealthy fish. It really is just asking for trouble, and as a new hobbyist, it wouldn't be the best start for sure!

How big is your tank?? I always suggest looking first to the smaller petstores and if possible, the ones that specialize in fish only. The odds of getting a better quality fish are greatly increased, although even that does not guarantee - especially with goldfish. Sadly enough, some fish stores still see goldies as the bottom-of-the-barrel fish and will toss them in mass into a small tank. :(

What you want to look for is fish that are active, bright eyed, not hovering around the top, no visible sores or cuts, fins are not shredded and appearing to be "eaten", and you were definitely right to question any blemishes such as white spots and fungus looking growth. Also, crowded tanks are usually not a great sign, but it depends how quickly the store moves the fish from store to consumer.

Depending on where you are located, check out your Yellow pages to see whats availible. :) Good luck. Keep us posted. Oooo - and do share some pictures when you do get your babies.

Edited by ~SHAWNA~

I second Shawna's advice :)

It's tempting to want to rescue fish from those horrible tanks but for one, it supports the store so they just keep buying more and treating them badly, and two, it is not an easy task, especially when you're establishing a new tank. Looking for a smaller, locally owned shop is definitely a good way to start. Hopefully you have other options where you are aside from that chain store.

And I will attest, if the big box stores are your only option (which at one time, it was for me) not all of them are bad. My local W-store used to have perfectly kept tanks. I was also at a "SmartPet" chain store this weekend for the first time this past weekend. Kudos to them!! Not only did they have crystal clear tanks and healthy looking fish, but they even had the tanks aquascaped! So it really does require you to shop around. :D Good luck!

Edited by ~SHAWNA~

Thanks for all your replies. I just went to another megachain today. I got info that they have new batches coming in every friday. They have new black moors and telescopes today. I figure new batches should have no problem.

Not sure what I'm gonna get, I was planning on getting ryukins and fantails, I love red/white colors. But I don't think I have patience to wait another week after the long wait to cycle my 56 gal tank. And there is this beautiful orange & black oranda, not from the new batch though.

Had a similar experience at WM a few months back. My mom was with me and she complained to the manager! Whether they did anything about that or not I don't know.

Orange and black orandas don't stay that color unfortunately. They are in the midst of a color change. Turning orange.

Not sure what I'm gonna get, I was planning on getting ryukins and fantails, I love red/white colors. But I don't think I have patience to wait another week after the long wait to cycle my 56 gal tank. And there is this beautiful orange & black oranda, not from the new batch though.

Just remember that not all goldfish keep their color. (In my sig) Lloyd and Winnie were both orange when I got them, and Björn was a chocolate pompom who is currently a tri-color pompom on his way to orange and possibly white (since I am apparently only capable of raising white fish :P )

Good luck! Pics of new fish are a requirement :) lol

Edit: Oh! Stephanie beat me to it! lol

Is it normal for baby orandas to be less active than black moors? I noticed from different stores that the black moors are always the most active ones.

The one I fell in love with was not actively swiming up and down the tank, but everything else looked good.

And I did check other nonchain stores, none of them carry fancies. So my only choices are "pet corp" and "smart pets".

how are your goldfish doing?

When I worked at a big huge chainstore, the fish all had ick. They wouldn't spare one of the treatment kits we SOLD to treat the fish. It was ridiculous. My co-worker (Who acually worked in pets, I was in crafts, technically) bought the medicine herself for the poor fish. My guilty mind is calmed though, as when I came back after moving away for university I noticed that the fishtank wall was gone.

I'm just glad I got my fish at a little hole in the wall in chinatown that specializes in goldfish. The owners brother breeds them in china or something, it's pretty neat.

Another option is to advertise in your local paper, something like "Wanted- Fancy Goldfish". If any local breeders see or hear of the ad from someone else, they will probably give you a reply. Their fish may cost more then the stores, but in my mind the quality and health of them is worth it.

And another way is to look in the paper for breeders ad5. In mine theirs currently someone selling a 200L tank complete with four large fantails for a measly $70 Australian. That's a fantastic buy for someone just entering the goldfish world, four good sized fish and a cycled tank. If I had room, I would consider buying it, putting the fantails in the pond with my own ones and using the tank for the telescopes! Make sure to look under both 'pets for sale' 'livestock' and the general 'for sale' categories, as goldies with accessories will probably be under 'for sale' and the rest divided between livestock and pets.

You can also try you local fishkeeping club. And plenty of people have their goldfish spawn, and end up with fish they don't need (happens every summer in my fantail pond), particularity in ponds. You could probably get those cheap, and they should be very healthy specimens.

Either way, good luck!

You may have to but there. I did too.Not top quality but i love them any way. They would just need quarantined before you put them into that precious newly cycled tank.Just wait for the new shipment and snatch them out as soon as you can and do a rubbermaid quarantine for a few weeks.

Where are you in Chicago? There are LOTS of good stores by me (south suburbs).

A few that I can think of are Petland Aquarium Adventure in Bolingbrook, Capture the Sea in Orland Park, and one in Evergreen Park that I forget the name of.

Let me know if you want help! I will totally meet you half way and help you out! I love meeting new people :)