Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
acenorm

Trash Day Find

Well, I was on my way to work this morning, and what do I see in someones trash but a tank and stand, so I stop and grab it. I get to work and take it out of my truck, and I come to find that it is an Oceanic 40 Gallon Stretch Hex tank with stand, light and lid. I wiped it out and it is now sitting til after the weekend filled with water to make sure there are no leaks. I have a Penguin Bio Wheel 200, so I will just get another one of them, an air pump, and bubble wand, and I will start cycling on Monday as long as there are no issues with leaking. There is one scratch on the back, but I'll live with it.

Now, the big question, is what to add in a month or two? I am going to go bare bottom on this tank with a couple plants and that's it. Any suggestions?

Norm

Edited by acenorm

Congrats on your find.

I would first decide which you want, a tropical set up or goldies.

If it was me, right now, I would like to use a 40 for a green water ranchu tank. Bare bottom is perfect for them or some of the fancier fish like bubble eyes too. Or perhaps you want some faster swimmers?

Fun.. :)

Definitely going with goldies, just haven't decided what kind I want. I have the Ryukin and Pearlscale at home, so I was thinking something else here at work.

Lucky >.> who would throw out such a great tank?! At least have the decency to sell it! :) But just goes to show what you can find if you dumpster di...ehem...I mean...apply yourself :) jk haha

LUCKY!!! Congratulations!

Great find! Congrats! Free stuff is by far the best!!!

Last bulk garbage day that we had was in the Spring. Two completely unrelated people at my work came to tell me that someone had put a tank out to the side of the road that was as big as a bathtub. That would have been amazing, but I didn't have room or at the time, the fish loving husband that I have now. :lol

Heck, that was worth scooping up from the trash just to save it from the landfill -- total bonus that you want to use it yourself! I'm continually amazed at the great stuff people throw away. Much cooler to leave things at the curb on a NON-trash day with a sign that says "FREE." It's just good karma.

Whoa talk about good luck! Here's a tip I picked up on the board: Place your tank on newspaper when you fill it and be really careful not to spill any water on the paper while you fill it, and if you have any leaks you will be able to see where they are coming from because newspaper gets darker when it's wet.

Woohoo!! The Tank Fairy strikes again!!

Believe it or not, I have found not one but two tanks in dumpsters. One was a fully-equipped 20gal with hood, lights and decor, and the other is my 50gal that my goldies are currently occupying. It's AMAZING how wasteful some people are!!

OMG I'm so jealous what an awesome thing to find on your way to work!