Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pixiesrock

Air Pumps

In this summer heat I find that my power filter does not oxygenate the water enough because of the water's decreased oxygen capacity. I am thinking of buying an air pump (I already have an airstone and tubing) but I don't know what kind to but. I have had two in the past, but one was terribly noisy, and the other was a "silent" one, which was silent, but broke and became noisy after a week of use. They were top fin and tetra whisper. Anyone have any suggestions as to what kind I should buy? Keep in mind that silence is very important. I don't mind if it gently hums, but I don't want a vicious buzzing, since it is going in my bedroom and I wouldn't mind being able to sleep.

I have had great luck with the Tetra Whisper models, they have never broken. I think you probably just got a defective one. If you get another and it becomes noisy, I would bring it back for sure :) You probably know this, but make sure the pump is rated for whatever sized tank you have. And to oxygenate the water, you want an airstone or bubble wand that gives out tiny bubbles, larger ones don't do as good of a job.

I have had great luck with the Tetra Whisper models, they have never broken. I think you probably just got a defective one. If you get another and it becomes noisy, I would bring it back for sure :) You probably know this, but make sure the pump is rated for whatever sized tank you have. And to oxygenate the water, you want an airstone or bubble wand that gives out tiny bubbles, larger ones don't do as good of a job.

Give the Tetra Whisper another try? Well, they are fairly inexspensive, and, as you said, I could always bring it back if it becomes noisy... Yeah, I'll give it another try. The chances of getting two defective ones are very low. Thanks for the post!

Just get another tetra whisper and keep your receipt :) . You can always take it back later if it breaks.

I have had great luck with the Tetra Whisper models, they have never broken.

Definitely go with a Whisper. I use those on all of my tanks, and I have only had to replace one. What happened with the one I had to replace was that a rubber piece had split inside that controls the mechanical moving parts. (Hubby is very mechanically inclined and just had to take it a part and see how it works and see if he could fix it).

I bought a Rena 400 more than 10 years ago and it's still going strong. It has two outlet nozzle thingies and each one has an adjustable air flow. It's also so silent that you have to put your hand on it to see if it's plugged in.

An expensive initial investment, but I totally recommend it. One of my tanks is in the bedroom, and an ultra-quiet air pump is a must.

I bought a Rena 400 more than 10 years ago and it's still going strong. It has two outlet nozzle thingies and each one has an adjustable air flow. It's also so silent that you have to put your hand on it to see if it's plugged in.

An expensive initial investment, but I totally recommend it. One of my tanks is in the bedroom, and an ultra-quiet air pump is a must.

Rena 400? Let me google that...

$50 dollars! That is an expensive initial investment, but if it lasts as long as you say it does, then it might be worth it. I would rather pay $50 dollars now than $15 every couple years on a new pump. Can anyone give me the lifespan of their Tetra Whisper?

$50 dollars! That is an expensive initial investment, but if it lasts as long as you say it does, then it might be worth it. I would rather pay $50 dollars now than $15 every couple years on a new pump.

You might be able to find it on eBay for as little as $35-$40 if you're willing to wait for a low-priced auction. I've also seen them sold on Craigslist for about $10-$15. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one, as long as it ran well (and silently!).

$50 dollars! That is an expensive initial investment, but if it lasts as long as you say it does, then it might be worth it. I would rather pay $50 dollars now than $15 every couple years on a new pump.

You might be able to find it on eBay for as little as $35-$40 if you're willing to wait for a low-priced auction. I've also seen them sold on Craigslist for about $10-$15. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one, as long as it ran well (and silently!).

I'll probably pay the $10 or $15 for a Tetra Whisper now and buy a cheap Rena 400 when I see it come up on Ebay or Craigslist