Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Anic

Quick Question

I have pretty much no Prime left (maybe enough left for one 10 gal waterchange) Since my new fishies are in an uncyled tank and I am obviously doing w/cs at least once a day (I try to do 2 50%, once in the morning and once before I go to bed)

Now, if I set a bucket of water out, does it have to be 24 hours for it to be 'safe' or is that just a good rule of thumb? I can knock my w/c down to one a day if that's the case and the babies will be ok until then.

(I'm also going to dose them with Prazi (thanks again Martha!! :) ) just to be on the safe side and when I get more Prime, I'm gonna tackle everyone else ;) )

Is 24 hours the rule of thumb, or is it considered 'safe' at a shorter time?

i think if it is out in the sun the whole day it is fine...then add it when it gets dark...but i am not entirely sure....

Hi Ashley. There are a lot of variables that contribute to how long exactly it takes for water to be "safe", such as - the size of the pail and the surface area for evaporation, the humidity and temperature in the room, the amount of chlorine that is actually in your tap water. 24hrs is definitely a good rule of thumb. And for added effect, add an airstone for water circulation. Now, if your tap water has chlorimine, this will not be removed by a simple 24 hour evaporation process. Chloramine is something that some water treatment plants add as a disinfectant. Ive heard that this can also be removed through evaporation, but it does take much longer. Maybe someone can add some insight on the time needed for Chloromine to evaporate. :)

I can add a little more on chloramines. They are chlorine and ammonia bonded together, and they are used by some water companies, like mine, because they do NOT dissapate quickly. That way they can insure that the water will be disinfected all they way into their customers homes. It can take weeks for them to go, and they are very bad for fish. If you have them you really want to use a dechlorinating product.

Great replies to the question. The secret is to find out if your source water uses chloramines or not. In some areas they do not so it is perfectly safe apparantly to let your water sit out 24 hours before use. An airstone has two benefits, will dissipate chlorine faster and will hold pH level better.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

I found my city's water company website and I learned that pretty much the enitre county sits on an aquifer. I can't decide if that's cool or dangerous :blink: lol

I want to send an email asking about the chemical levels, but I don't really know how to word it. Any help with that? I'm no good at writing formal emails :P

Try this one on for size:

Good afternoon,

I have recently become interested in the water within our jurisdiction and it's chemical breakdown. I am an Aquarium Hobbyist, and was looking to find out more information in regards to additives and the makeup of our city's water in order to improve my fish keeping skills. If you could provide me with any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Ashley

:) Keep us posted.

lol

Thanks.

I hope they get back with me soon because I forgot to set a bucket of water out last night! And for some reason I have 3 empty Prime bottles in my fish tote..

* 45 seconds later *

Thanks!

Thank you for your request and it will be processed in a timely manner.

You're welcome!

lol

It was on the site, duh! I didn't see the tiny link: http://www.columbusutilities.org/2009waterqualityReport.pdf It's on the last page

I don't see chloramines anywhere. Does anyone else?

mg/L = milligrams per Liter

(One milligram per liter is the same as one part per million or one dollar out of one million dollars.)

I love the explanation :rofl

mg/L = milligrams per Liter

(One milligram per liter is the same as one part per million or one dollar out of one million dollars.)

I love the explanation

Haha. Maybe they thought you were a 9 year old doing a science project with that kind of explanation. :lol

I had a quick look at the report, and I don't see chloramines anywhere either. It did say in the Treatment section that they treat with chlorine.

Love that explanation of parts per million! :P