Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
~SHAWNA~

Why Test Gh And Kh?

So Brent had bought a kit for testing his GH and KH, and both of us missed that it was for freshwater, so now I have inherited my own tester kit. Why do we test for GH and KH?? I understand that they are for testing the hardness of the water?? :)

KH needs to be tested cause it gives you an idea on what level your minerals and such are at. Reason for this is this is the buffer for your PH, with out this the ph will crash and it will kill your fish..

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/65745-ph-kh-problems/

Yes it's sooooo important.... Way too many members (including really really experienced fish keepers) have lost fish due to PH crash simply because the KH was not high enough and/or tested regularly... I don't test mine EVERY week like I do with the other tests, but I still randomly test it now and again JUST to be safe. In my area we have a high KH & GH.. (Sometimes I've read it's too high), and I have never seen it drop, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

And just like having a low KH can make your PH crash, having a high KH can make it harder to adjust your PH if you need to make it lower. You won't need to do that for most cases with goldfish, or even most cases with other fish. But there are certain fish that need a lower PH but if you have a HIGH KH it becomes much much harder to lower it without it bouncing back up.

I didn't read the article koko linked to, so I'm sure it said all of this but in an even better way. But ahh well lol

Don't disrespect the kH :) it's a lesson I had to learn the hard way. It's really linked to the pH which is important to your fish.

Thankyou so very much. I guess I always thought I was good with just testing for the basics: ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, high range ph and ph. Ive never had a ph problem, so I assumed I was good to go. What a great fluke, and luckily for me, I didn't have to learn the "hard" way.