Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Anielynn

Potter

Hey guys i have never had a ranchu before so i am really not sure about their personality. Check this out and let me know if this is typical behavior or is he totally stressing out. He acts totally crazy all the time. The only time he swims straight is when i feed him. Otherwise he is doing flips and loopty loops. It is adorable if its normal.

idk but pretty sure the moderators can help...imo i dont think that is normal.did he act like this before when you first got him?are the parameters okay? it is cute if it is normal though...

Edited by Franky

Is there a really strong current in the tank?

Not really too strong. I have the tank as full as i can get it to cut down on the current. And i have added a couple of artificial plants and that has helped. But he keeps returning to the same spots where there is current to do this. It is the strangest thing.

Oh and everything okay with water. Its quarantine and i am doing daily water changes. As far as knowing if he did this before i got him i don't know. He didn't while we were picking him out. But the tank was FULL of fish. He barely had room to move.

Do a test and turn off the filter or anything that makes the water move for about 30 mins and see if he still does this hun. Let us know :)

sorry. i just got this post. i am not getting all of the new posts when i log in. i will try turning it off first thing tomorrow.

He might just like to 'play' in the current. One of my commets uses the filter outlet as a way of 'working out' and I have seen Quasi (tripodtail) tumbling when he tried to get to the very tasty algea besides the filter outlet, and then get caught in the current.

well consider the fact that it doesnt hav the fin at the top to navigate with (i think its called a dorsal fin i dunno) and its small, probably just curious

Edited by PurpleMyth

omg that is too funny to watch,i'm hoping it's just his happy dance for having a great new home :) please keep us posted :)

That video is from July but yes he still does it. When he tries to swim fast he just goes everywhere. I have to bring the food to him. He can't swim fast and go chase it. He shoots straight up through the water. He is a mess. :heart:heart But we love him anyway. It's just his way i guess.

Hehe would love to see an updated movie of him. Looks like he loves to play.

I'll try to get that done tomorrow. I'm too sure if he loves it or not.He is a big chicken and it makes running from stuff pretty difficult.

This is a very short clip of my goldies and Potter is on the end swimming his crazy swim.

Aaaww looks like he's dancing in the bubbles, how sweet!

One of my fishies likes to ride in the bubbles too!

They are funny little things aren't they?! :)

omg steph hahahahaha that's too funny...i have two ranchus and they don't swim like that:)

It definitely gives him his own personality. He is such a scardie. He is terrified of everything that moves and when he tries to rus he shoots straight up through the water. Its actually kind of sad but adorable at the same time. His fins and tail look fine i don't know why he can't make them work right.

sometimes i just think ranchus have so much power in that little tail that they loose control of themselves...they are like little motor boats. Come to think of it when i first got mine they always swam UP instead of straight....they swim well now:)

Oh good! Maybe as he puts on weight it will slow him down. That is what i have been hoping for months. He is fine when he is coasting along using fins only. But when he turns up the power he is totally out of control. He can't even aim for his food. He shoots through the water after it and passes it up. I always try to give him a big bite first to spare him the ordeal. lol. But maybe he will still outgrow it.