Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daryl

Fry!

Would a kiddie wading poo, make a suitable fry tub? That is pretty much all I have available to me, and I am thinking of trying goldfish breeding.

Would a kiddie wading poo, make a suitable fry tub? That is pretty much all I have available to me, and I am thinking of trying goldfish breeding.

sorry, meant to say pool

Yes - many people use varieties of children's wading pools as growout pools for fry. I do not think there are many left out there onthe market that will have the plasitsizers still leach out of them. It is all about water volume. I like to keep fry in 18 inches depth or under when growing out.

By the time fry get to be 1 inch in total length, you really need at least 7.5 gallons PER FRY for proper growth. If your fish spawns 5000 fry, you need to be capable of culling or of placing them in LARGE volume very quickly......

Hey! I'm from Mass too! Central, what part are you from?

Hey! I'm from Mass too! Central, what part are you from?

I live about 40 minutes outside of Boston.

are there any pics of the little ones?

Well, I now have a dozen pictures of fuzzy gray dots. I swear, I am the WORST photographer!!!!

AFter second cull, I have exactly 70 babies. There are a few this less than perfect tail set - but by and large there appear to be a GREAT set of marvlous babies!!!! Some blue and calico, perhaps!!!! And some that look to be pretty nice broadtails! I am excited.

They have graduated to fish fakes and Hikari pellets - smashed up a bit. They now have more than a gallon apiece - and are growing strong. I will see if I can con my hubby into taking a picture for me when he gets home.... He is far more talented with a camera than I.

Can't wait to see pictures of the babies!!

Well, once again I have tried to take pictures. Some have rather nice tails. Some have pinched tails a bit. Some have too open tails. Some look like they may be calico or blue and red. Some blue. Some most likely will be red. There are a few pretty neat little fish in there - potentially really NICE ones. I am happy.

I have slowed their growth now, only feeding twice a day with a mixture of protien and greens. Still 75% protien, but they should grow slowly and fill in well, I hope. They are in an 80 gallon tank - that is more than 1 gallon per fish, but I am going to need to separate/cull them again soon, as they grow.

The pictures do not show anything much..... but perhaps you can tell they are fish, rather than boogers on the glass.....

I wish I knew how to take better pictures. They just do not seem to work for me. Sigh.

post-27-125140308928_thumb.jpg

post-27-12514031055_thumb.jpg

what kinda filter system are you using?

They originally had only the large sponge with an air bubbler. As the fry grew, I added in a power head that is stuck into the sponge with an attachment I designed to seal them together. The powerhead pumps water through the sponge, through a hose up into a filterbox that is hanging on the tank side. The filterbox is full of hard media, the overflow was originally buffered with a piece of extra plastic for flowout.

As the fish grew, the plastic flowout diverter was removed. Next, I added an Eheim Ecco - the one with 4 basket stacks. It has a single return and a small intake that is bagged off so the fry are held off by 3 inches on all sides. The cannister is stuffed with media.

The fry have been growing well - and it is time to up the GPH on the filter system. I most likely will hook up one or two Emperor 400s - with large sponges (the seeded original and another) as covers for the intakes. These, in conjunction with the Eheim cannister should give me plenty of turnover, aeration and biological filtration.

I also have had a continuous water exchange working since the fish hatched. This consists of a 50 gallon drum that contains a mixture of RO and well water that stands 3 feet above the tank. It has a syphon (1/4 inch tube) that leads to the tank and a home-built outflow syphon that is fry proof. The inflow is set such that I get 100% turnover every 24 hours or so (according to a formula) - requireing many times the volume of the tank, actually. The 100 gallon tank is plumbed to the RO and the well water - so that it refills slowly 24/7.

With this setup, I get biological growing for when I want the fish to go into "regular" tanks, but still get 100% clean water every day. There is never any ammonia/nitrite/nitrate for the growing fry to deal with.

How did I miss this thread until now!!?!?!?

I am so excited for you!

I can't wait to see what these guys turn into! That goshiki really was GORGEOUS! And of course, I love Maple :)

Big hugs from me! I am so happy for you :)

Edited by ryukin girl

Awesome Daryl! :nana