Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daryl

Fry!

RyukinGirl knows - at the resent goldfish show, I brought a nice Goshiki colored broadtail Ryukin. She did ok for herself. Unfortunately, during my problems, I had lost my big blue male Ryukin. At the show, a friend offered me her winning blue male for breeding. Unfortunatly, for some reason, my female dropped early. (show water, water change tones of storms, etc..... figures. She dropped at night, too!!!! Unusual)(she is the fish in the front. The one in the back is the male that died. :( )

ANYWAY - the only male I had in with her is "Maple" - a nice big red/white standard tail - a really NICE fish in my opinon (from my own line) I gathered what eggs stuck to the upright plants and filter intakes.... they ate all the eggs that were on the floor of the tank.

They hatched to day!!!! Whoop!!!! It only looks as if I will have 3-4 hundred - not a good selection for unrelated fish, but perhaps I may get something!!!!

:bounce

I hafta get the shrimp hatcheries out and sterilized and ready for hatching! I have only 2 days....1 day to shrimp brew!!!! Yippppeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

I love fry. Perhaps there will be a blue Tamasaba for Sarah.........

post-27-124835821945_thumb.jpg

Yay! Finally some good news from the fish front via Daryl! :D I can't wait to see what you get from this batch!

After I have lost so many fish and so many were sick for so long, I had all but given up on having fry this year. :) I started up the brine shrimp breweries. Food is brewing!!!! Whoop! Now I have to set up the cwe systme for the tub.

I've never had fry before,this is exciting. Post lots of pictures. We look forward to sharing this experience with you.

yayyyyy...ryukin fry...maybe if time and luck permit..I might get a ryukin from you too.. :) ...I have fallen in love with your ryukins and would love to have 1... :) ..Hopefully I would have a job and then maybe I can start over with 1 ryukin from you.. :) ..

Congrats on the fry..and yes please keep us posted.. :)

I happen to be notorious for my poor camera skills. I shall try. Right now they look like 3/16 of an inch long fine pencil lines in the water. There are even a few that are free swimming already.

When the fish spawn, (or I strip) I place the spawning media (in this case the filter intakes and silk plants that were in the tank - a failure on my part) into a bucket. A sponge filter is set up with a slow bubble. The water is 100% fresh - for spawning fouls the water quickly and the fry need fresh water. The eggs should not touch. The water is kept between 70-72F. I usually add Meth Blue until the water looks like Windex.... it stops any fungus from forming on the eggs.

When the fry hatch out, they attach themselves to the sides of the bucket (in this case it is a 10 gallon bucket). I start brewing baby brine shrimp when the fry are about 12 hours out - for it takes 18 hours to hatch the shrimp. The bucket of newly hatched fry is set in the bottom of a large tank or tub and the tub is filled with fresh water to the edge of the bucket. In a day or so, I will raise the level of the tank water so that thewater is over the edge of the bucket. A heater is placed in the outer tank water.

When the fry become free swimming, they can swim out into the larger tank/tub.... 80 gallons being better than 10. The shrimp are harvested as close to hatching as possible (most nutrition) and are syphoned out through the bottom of the hatchery into a coffee filter. They are rinsed and swished into the fry's water where they swim around in a cloud of neon orange/pink. The little fry will feed on these - their little bellies swell and are brignt pink/orange. They are fed every 4 hours - skipping 8 at night.

I also set up a large bucket of balanced fresh water over the fry tank - and this is run into the fry tank at a given rate. A drip syphon is used to run used water out of the tank - continuously exchanging the water so that it never gets an ammonia reading. Within a week or two, the sponge filter starts growing a cycle - and can be attached to a power filter head to increase biological filtration.

That is where I am now - newly hatched fry that are mostly attached to the sides of the original bucket which is sitting in the middle of an 80 gallon tub. :)

If they look anything like mom and dad they well be stunning.

I am so happy to hear some good news! And this is very good news. I bet they will be stunning.

:Congrats: Daryl!! :tbanana

Wow..Carol..your planning and water system and brine hatchery for raising the fry is spot on...so very impressive... :thud

OH what I wouldn't do for some fish from Daryl!!

The last time I stopped by the LFS just to check out the selection, one of the ruykin had a louse/lice (which is singular, which is plural?) attached to it's tail. When I pointed it out to the guy in the fish dept he didn't seem all that concerned!! Ugh. Unfortunately they are the only store around that I can find any decent looking fish. So frustrating. I would love to order on-line but I want small fish that I can grOW into big fish. And since I'm looking to get 5 or 6, I don't really want to spend $50 and up per fish plus shipping. $$$

Ooops. Sorry for the rant.

Congrats on the fry! Can't wait to see them grow!

The fry have tripled in size. I have done the first sorting. They look to have a majority of good looking backs and tails. That is good - it holds promise when 90% make it through first culling!!!!

They are now a good 3/8 inch long and have bright neon-orange shrimp filled bellies. They love to chase the little brine shrimp around in the water and gulp away. I am still feeding every 4 hours, with a break during the night.

I need to up the exchange rate for the water, though. I got an ammonia reading yesterday. Today I will turn up the exchange rate.

congrats daryl....I love the excitement of fry raising...it never gets old

Me too, it is exciting. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Great Carol!

TFR9C.gif

Cool! Raising fry sounds like a lot of work, but also fun :)

It is a lot of work - you have to plan their meals 18 hours ahead of time because the brine shrimp take that long to hatch. My counters are full of bubbling brews of shrimp. I also run continuous water exchange - but have to add to the mix tank multiple times a day to make sure the water is full and flowing. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.

To reward the hard work, though, the fry are tons of fun - so much potential to guess at! This batch looks SO promising. It is not a big spawn - but every one in there is super strong and growing HUGE! They are easily a solid 1/2 inch now - and the dorsal fins are rising high. (Broadtail and Veiltail heritage in there). There are a few obvious broadtails in the bunch, too, with others that may be, also.

I do see a few "pinkies" - but in this day and age, many people do not mind a white fish - so I will not cull them this time. If I had 5000 fry, I would. But not with a few hundred.

I am excited. I am working on getting a start of fresh Daphnia and I have Artic cyclopoids for color - something new and yummy next week. It is nice "cooking" for such enthusiastic eaters.

:)

I like the white fish, I've always liked the white fish with the matte scales.

It sounds like it is time for more pictures...... :D

It sounds like it is time for more pictures...... :D

:exactly

Today, I split them into two 80 gallon tanks. They hit about 3/4 inch. Normally I would have separated more by size than anything, but this group - with the exception of only 2 fry - is a very uniform group in size, conformity and all. Wow. Maybe I hit upon a really good match for parents! When introducing unrelated fish, it is common to get such a high percentage of so-so or poor quality fry. These actually look pretty good!!!!

(I really really really want some tri-color or blues.)

Today, we also graduated from Daphnia to Frozen Brine shrimp - not baby, but standard. They are chonking them down like little pigs. I will start feeding fish flakes, in about a day - as soon as they settle into the shrimp well.

Congratulations. You must feel like a grandma all over again. :D

wow...I cant wait to get there...mines are two weeks as of today....making a`video of them