Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RanchuDressing

How Bad Is A Hex Or Cylinder Tank Really?

So I've had someone offer me a very beautiful aquarium, 50 gallons, for such an unbelievably low price that I'm flabbergasted. It's truly a gorgeous tank, with a lovely stand and custom hood and lighting. Only problem is that it's a hexagon tank.

I know goldfish like more space from side to side than up and down, and that the water-surface-to-air ratio is much lower in a vertical tank setup. But what if it was seriously understocked (like 2 goldfish in 50 gallons) and I aerated the heck out of it? Could two goldies be happy and healthy in there? It's a truly lovely aquarium and would fit perfectly in my living room, but the health and happiness of my goldfish are important to me too.

I'm trying not to imagine getting two new fish...

I would think that kind of a set up would be fine. :)

I think it would be fine with two fancy goldfish in it.

Sounds nice. What are the dimensions of the tank?

Sounds nice. What are the dimensions of the tank?

I'm not sure. I found a formula online for calculating the capacity of a hex tank, so I'd definitely be doing measurements before committing. He says it's a 50 gallon "or more" tank, but that's not a standard hex size. I wouldn't want to do anything less than about 40 gallons.

a hex or cylinder tank is fine if you have fancy goldfish becausee (im not sure how to explain this but ill try)

they grow fatter rather then longer if u ratio it out.. and they dont swim around as fast

comets would be bad to do becaue their more streamlined and swim around alot more, so it would be like keeping a hamster a jar.. weird idiology i know.. :S

does that make any senceE? lol

may31226.jpg

This is my 45 gallon hex. It currently houses tropicals, but I had 3 goldies in there for over a year (2 ryukins and an oranda if I remember correctly). I will have to look for the pictures sometime.

The only advice that I have would be to get one of those really long gravel cleaners and a sturdy step stool. My tank stands almost as tall as me so it can be a bit more tricky to clean.

Also, as you can see I have an internal whisper filter in my tank. That way you can push it neatly into the corner walls without worry of filter intakes not being long enough or a HOB filter sticking out. But that is a personal preference.

I say go for it! :Jig:

I would use a canister or two. Wont take up much needed swimming space that way and you can get extensions to get the intake further down in the tank.

Edited by Hidr

Ooooh, pretty hex tank! Thanks for sharing that photo! I'm starting to get excited now -- if this happens, I'm so glad to hear that it could work for goldfish!

Great tip about the internal filter (and from Hidr, about canisters with intake extensions). I was thinking of using one or two canisters, most likely. I used to have Fluval 404s and loved 'em. I'll want the tank to be as close to the wall as I can get it, otherwise I think it will look weird.

Now I'm really hoping this happens! Thank you, everyone!

I've had 2 in my hex and they have been good, one is quite large now but one also died early on :(

Plenty of aeration should counter the lackof surface area. To calculate a hex tank gallonage:

Work out the square section LXBXH and a triangle (0.5b*h)*2

Since the hex is made up of a square shape and 2 triangles. Sorted!