Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shrtshaman

Algee Eaters!

hello everyone,

i have lost my calico bubble eye, :( i had gotten two algee eaters to clean the tank of the mass alge over growth. i had to give up my pleco it kept jumping out of the tank, would shoot up the filter waterfall. wierd thing!!!

so any way, after two days or so...i got up in the morning and turned on the light, and both the eaters were clamped on my calie!!! they had stripped her of all her scales and bubbles!!! WHY??? can anyone tell me why they did this??? i almost fed them to my oscar!!! will they eat any new golds i choose??

thanks so much for any advice or reason for this....

rita

Hi there! That's terrible news about your fish! :(

Typically, any algae eaters and bottoms feeders will go for anything that's not moving near the bottom of the tank. And a lot of the time, when goldfish are sleeping, they're not moving near the bottom. That's probably why they got your fishie.

I don't think its ever really a good idea to have algae eaters or something similar in a goldfish tank. Once in a while, people get lucky, and the two might live well together, but usually they don't. Plus, algae eaters are tropical community fish, and require warmer water than goldies.

You definately want to get them out of the tank before yo uput any new goldfish in there! Just in case, you know? Better to be safe than sorry!

Hope this helps!

I am SO sorry..That is horrible....

I'm not exactly sure WHY. The only thing I can think of is that it may be similar to plecos, and I've heard that plecos can develop a taste for a goldfishes slime coat, and this can happen. It's possible that the algae eaters are the same way. What did you get.. Chinese Algae Eaters?

Anyway, I hope someone else can help you out more, but I want to say I am very sorry.. That had to be horrible to see...

C,L.

yes they are chinese algae eaters...little buggers...i will have to take them back to the store...they will give me a trade in...

i think i will rest a bit and wait for the right new goldie to call to me...i'm still sad at the mo..

thanks

rita

Oh no! Please remove the CAE immediately! These are the worst algae eaters there is. Ugh..They are not typical algae eaters. As they mature, they resort to slime coat as their protein source and their aggression worsen as they mature. They'll reach 10 inches max eventually and are best left with more feisty species. I had six clung on my own goldfish much to my horror a few years back. :(

Edited by Lupin

lupin,

yes.... they are gone..

what would any of you suggest to keep down the algae in my tank?? just common pleco??

rita

No not a common pleco they well also eat on your goldfish.

So far nothing really helps with algae except take scraping and less light time.

BN plecos well eat on it some but you still have to clean it off the tank ever week when I do my weekly water changes. My apple snails do as good as a job as the BN's but still have to clean it off.

So you can do like I do just let it grow on sides and back to help keep your water healthy or you can scrap it off every week before you do your water change and then suck as much out as you can when you do your water change.

If you swish and rub tha algae off at every water change, you should not get too big of a buildup. Every year or so, I break down the tank and really scrub it out. But in general, algae is best removed by plain old elbow grease.

I am so sorry. I do so love a pretty BubbleEye..... :cry

I'm so sorry :(

I had the same thing happen once with a common pleco, that was how I learned that 'algae eaters' and goldies dont' mix, it really is a horrible thing to see. I've battled algae before as well, it can be quite frustrating. Search some of the threads on this forum, there are good suggestions to deal with it without resorting to adding more fish. I have found that live plants can help (they out compete the algae for food) as well as brighter lights and low nitrates. You will always likely have to do some scrubbing, but not as excessively.

Aww,I'm so sorry about your Bubble Eye. i had to get rid of two Otto's for doing that. They were fine while small but once grown kept trying to attach to my Telescopes. Mostly poor Skye. Guess he must have been extra tasty. :blink:

Aww,I'm so sorry about your Bubble Eye. i had to get rid of two Otto's for doing that. They were fine while small but once grown kept trying to attach to my Telescopes. Mostly poor Skye. Guess he must have been extra tasty. :blink:

I've had an otto go after a cory before. I think it's just that we are keeping these fish in very cramped (regardless of tank size) and unnatural conditions. In the wild they'd probably never get close enough to another fish to attack it unless it was dead or dying, but in a tank there are many more opportunities...so, why not?

lupin,

yes.... they are gone..

what would any of you suggest to keep down the algae in my tank?? just common pleco??

rita

You still have the option to try nerite snails or ramshorn snails. Apple snails are very poor algae eaters unfortunately otherwise compatibility is not an issue.

So sorry to hear about your bubble eye! I know how frustrating it is when one fish attacks another and how much you just want to throw them in the yard! However, it is not the fish's fault, they are just doing what is natural. :(

I had my shubies attack my poor Oranda's wen and eat nearly half her head off! So no algae eaters, no plecos, no single tail with other fancies!

Cleaning the tank once a week should keep it under control! :)

I have a pleco in with my goldfish and it has not been a problem...but I guess in some cases the plecos can get aggressive so you have to be careful. Before I got it to clean the algae I would just use a long stick thing with a sponge thing on the end to clean the algae off the sides...it worked pretty well. But I don't even have to worry about that anymore.

Well it has been twelve hrs and the eaters are still ok..

Buddy is not an live food eater, he realy likes his pelets best!! I have them in a side tank and they will to back in morn. I do have the scrubber one for each tank..

Thanks everyone!!!

Rita

lupin,

yes.... they are gone..

rita

You still have the option to try nerite snails or ramshorn snails. Apple snails are very poor algae eaters unfortunately otherwise compatibility is not an issue.

I had Ramshorn Snails, and the fish absolutely WOULD NOT leave their eyes alone!

I've had fishtanks for about 3 yrs now and have never had any algae grow in any of them. I have gf, tropicals and bettas and no problem. I'm guessing it's because I never have the tank lights on?? Might be worth a try. :)

I had Ramshorn Snails, and the fish absolutely WOULD NOT leave their eyes alone!

Goldfish? None of my ramshorns were bothered although my ryukins' clumsy movements kept knocking them off the glass. :doh11:

Well, my late Commons would actively go for the eyes of the adults.