Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Guest I*LUV*ORANDAS

Not Sure What My Little "ducky" Is

16 posts in this topic

Guest I*LUV*ORANDAS

Hello Everyone,

I am VERY new to this site. I have been just reading and reading and reading for quite a while now. I learned of the site after spending hours drooling on the Goldfish Connection site :)

I plan to introduce myself and introduce my babies real soon but have been really curious to know what this little guy is.

At first I thought he was a fantail but some days he looks like a pearlscale (although his skin is smooth not "pearly) and other days I think he's growing a wen *lol*. I do believe he is a stunted fellow though as he hasn't grown much the past few months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my little Ducky (first time I post, hope my pictures come through):

Picture010.jpg

Picture067.jpg

I look forward to getting to meet you all. I have learned so much so far just from reading and surfing this GREAT site.

Kim

:welcome Kim!

Your ducky (sweet name) looks like he could possibly be a very young pearlscale :heart . Just a first impression. You may have to wait some months to see if he plumps out and gets rounder and the pearls also plump out. He could also be a fantail though. Or he could be a mix of both. That's my opinion!

Love his button eyes (the black eyes that trademark calico color fish).

Guest I*LUV*ORANDAS

Thank you so much for the reply.

I do believe he is a mix of some sort also.

He was the only one like that in the tank when I purchased him and his unique coloring and tiny size is what stole my heart.

I don't think he will grow to be a very large fish at all as he's quite small and doesn't seem to grow much.

His coloring is quite strange, it's almost like a yellow/pink.

I loved his big eyes also.

I'm going to find the forum where I can introduce myself and my babies this morning :)

Kim

Great :D ! We love to meet goldfish keepers and see pix! Here's where you can introduce yourself: link

Guest I*LUV*ORANDAS

Was playing with the camera the other day and noticed that Ducky does this strange little thing with his mouth. Is this a normal gesture? Everything seems just "ducky" with him and he seems to rather enjoy doing it as I see him doing it quite often. He seems to be the only one in the tank that enjoys this motion and I think it's just adorable.

Picture144.jpg

Hope this just means he's a happy little guy :)

Kim

Here he is again doing a dive bomb with that cute little expression on his lips *lol*

Picture133.jpg

Kim

I think he looks like a pearlscale. Not the best pearling but that may improve with age.

Guest I*LUV*ORANDAS

I'm still a little baffled by this one. His body shape reminds me of pearlscale and yet some days it looks like he's getting a wen. I certainly don't think he will be a very large fish as he's just a tiny fella.

Do you know if that thing he does with his mouth is normal? I will sometimes see the other fish do this but not nearly as much as Ducky seems to enjoy doing it. Is it a yawn?

Thank you,

Kim

Guest I*LUV*ORANDAS

I meant to say, I saw some fish at the store the other day that had the same exact coloring and gills as Ducky but they were MUCH longer body types and were in the fantail tank. Maybe he's just a big fat fantail? *lol*

My first impression was just like Trinket's...

At first I thought "oh that's a fantail.."

then I noticed her little pokey scales...

and I thought "oh wait... maybe she's a pearlscale".

:) She looks to me like she may be a baby pearlscale as well.

It'll be interesting to watch her grow! She's such a cutie!

Guest I*LUV*ORANDAS

I just love Ducky too. Very hard to photograph and so tiny.

It's almost like he doesn't have any scales at all and although he looks like he has bumps on his skin, he really doesn't. It's not like they stick out like pearls.

Again, maybe it's because he's so young.

He is so chubby though *lol*

I love that little thing he does with his mouth. I don't think it's anything to worry about because it's not like he has anything stuck and he's certainly not gasping for air but he does that little pucker action alot, I think he thinks he's part kissing fish *lol*

He was the only one in the tank when I bought him and it was his unique coloring and black eyes that stole my heart. For his size though, you should see him at feeding time *lol* He certainly doesn't let his size get in the way *lol*

No matter what he is, to me he's just "Ducky". I actually named him after that little character in the Land Before Time. When my daughter was little, she LOVED that series and Ducky was my favorite character :)

Kim

Yep looks like pearl scale he's very cute.If he's growing a wen then he might be a crowned pearl scale.

His appearance has me confused as well. The way he looks, I thought he's a fantail as well since my Alessandra almost looked like one when she was filled with eggs. The scales look uncannily like the pearlscales. Could either be a pearlscale or a mix of both like Trinket mentioned. Either way, he's such a cutie. :heart

Don't worry...the thing with the mouth is just clearing the gills. A little cutie, who just might grow up to be a crowned pearlie.

Guest I*LUV*ORANDAS

I would just love it if he turned out to be a pearlscale as I don't have one but so far his body is smooth from what I can see. Pearlscales don't start out with their "pearls"? His body type would lead me to believe that he is a pearlscale also but because of the lack of pearls I wasn't sure.

He was the only little guy in the tank and he was only $4.95 and I just felt so bad for him. He had those big black eyes and just said "please take me home".

I really love his coloring and was wondering if he would stay this color or change colors? It's almost like a yellow pink kind of matte color. He' s the smallest fish in the tank but he doesn't seem to let that get in the way.

He sure is a little fatty for his size though.

Thank you all for your advice, I can't wait to see this little guy grow!

I have only been keeping goldfish for about 4 months as I used to keep tropical fish so this is a whole new adventure for me.

Kim

I would just love it if he turned out to be a pearlscale as I don't have one but so far his body is smooth from what I can see. Pearlscales don't start out with their "pearls"? His body type would lead me to believe that he is a pearlscale also but because of the lack of pearls I wasn't sure.

He was the only little guy in the tank and he was only $4.95 and I just felt so bad for him. He had those big black eyes and just said "please take me home".

I really love his coloring and was wondering if he would stay this color or change colors? It's almost like a yellow pink kind of matte color. He' s the smallest fish in the tank but he doesn't seem to let that get in the way.

He sure is a little fatty for his size though.

Thank you all for your advice, I can't wait to see this little guy grow!

I have only been keeping goldfish for about 4 months as I used to keep tropical fish so this is a whole new adventure for me.

Kim

Kim, the part near the pectoral fins appear to have beady scales which indicate it already has "pearls". I have one inch pearlscales with beady scales already although one lost most of her pearls after she accidentally grazed her on the gravel while nudging a calico ryukin for some strange reason under his belly. The ryukin was unfazed by her nudging which amuse me but the part where she lost her beady scales really blew me off since she was prettier with the pearls than without them.

pearscale

looking good too :)