Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
dfernandez77

Creatures From The Green Lagoon

16 posts in this topic

So the water was a little cloudy in my tank. I thought, "If I get a little green water, it will help the condition of the water while I'm away for 3 weeks in June."

Be careful what you wish for...

20090505-095058.jpg

It's not as obvious in the goldie cam, but still noticeable:

http://dolphinnet.dlinkddns.com:8088

user: kokonuts

pass: kgw

Wow what I wouldn't give for a little of that green water. Think you can ship a few hundred gallons my way! :heart

I am still waiting to hear back from a couple companies to set up whole house system.

Water softener RO/DI....def need buff it up and RO Right...correct?

Have you ever heard of distilled water system to get all the nasties out? Or would I have to be adding way too much stuff in?

See what you get for showing off your green water! :rofl Sorry.

I am still waiting to hear back from a couple companies to set up whole house system.

Water softener RO/DI....def need buff it up and RO Right...correct?

Have you ever heard of distilled water system to get all the nasties out? Or would I have to be adding way too much stuff in?

RO/DI water is already very soft - all the dissolved solids including calcium and magnesium are removed.

Usually you would only need RO for drinking, and RO/DI for special purposes like fish tanks and laboratories.

Sometimes whole house "Water Softeners" release salt into the water produced, because the salt is used to recharge the water softening DI resins.

If you use a specific purpose RO/DI filter for tank water, you will need to add salts and carbonates back to the water. I use RO Right and Buff it Up. It can be rather expensive, which is why I am glad the tank is 30gal. But it beats unhealthy fish.

Ack!

The goldfishcam is down right now. I have to fix it when I get home. :unsure:

The water looks like its just beginning to bloom. If you want to keep the green (and it is sooo good for floaty fish) it will start to get a brighter green soon. The bright green is really luminous and attractive and will bring you zero nitrates. I strongly recommend it!

The water looks like its just beginning to bloom. If you want to keep the green (and it is sooo good for floaty fish) it will start to get a brighter green soon. The bright green is really luminous and attractive and will bring you zero nitrates. I strongly recommend it!

I would still have to change water though, right? Then it all goes away.

True, not all the benefits though, you don't need to change green water nearly as often. And the suspended algae consumes nitrates very fast. You have to be more concerned with oxygen at night to avoid a sudden algae crash but even if you added nitrates from the tap water once a week you would still prob get 6 days nitrate free if you had a strong green base to start with.

Aww that's awesome, your oranda's head seems too heavy for him though! What size tank are they in that they got that big??? (sorry if you have said this elsewhere)

your oranda's head seems too heavy for him though! What size tank are they in that they got that big??? (sorry if you have said this elsewhere)

Yes, Charlie has a huge wen - even on her face. Her mouth is just a slot in the gel on her face. She swims around just fine when she suspects she'll find food - otherwise she's in the corner on her head.

The tank is a 29 gallon long with a Fluval 405 and an Aquaclear 30.

Guest Cardboardboxprocessor

Is your oranda alright man? Why is he always upside down?

Is your oranda Okay?

His oranda is upside down because of her massive wen.

It's gotten to be so big that the mass of the wen has completely messed up Charlie's balance for swimming.

She's head-heavy. :) Don't worry though, she rights herself when food is near. :rofl

Otherwise, she is usually backstroking her way through the tank. :D

sorry about the double post. my forum will not show posts. only this little sumerized thing at the bottom.

His oranda is upside down because of her massive wen.

It's gotten to be so big that the mass of the wen has completely messed up Charlie's balance for swimming.

She's head-heavy. :) Don't worry though, she rights herself when food is near. :rofl

Otherwise, she is usually backstroking her way through the tank. :D

Indeed. Tonight she's a little tippy. Which means she's a few degrees off of exactly upside down. :)

Well, your fish are a bit... special....

My tanks were both bright green. Water changes did not help!!!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...ic=76732&hl=

I had to use AlgoStop to get rid of the green.

Now the tanks look OK again!

Edited by OldHag