Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nastymonster

Please Don't Tell Me She's Going To Die!

Hi.

I do not have a water testing kit yet, so can't answer any of those questions yet. In the meantime perhaps you can let me know what you think might be happening to Sushi.

She lives alone in a 10 gallon tank (I've already been advised that this could be bigger...), 50% clean it weekly, 100% maybe every 3 weeks or so. Sushi normally eats Hikari lionhead, the odd pea, and sera goldy royal.

Recently I've noticed some bad signs that things are wrong.

1.Sushi looked extra bloated.

2.Sushi floats at the top of the water when at rest, although is fully active able to swim normally.

3.She does seem to float with her head pointed down, like her tail is lighter than her head and is pulling her up.

4.I've been reading on some posts about red streaks appearing in fins, but can;t pinpoint what that means. I'm startled to notice that Sushi has these developments. I suppose I thought colour changing is a normal thing.

This is Sushi a month or so ago...

IMG_1661.jpg

This is Sushi now. Notice her strange position. The white fin she has in the photo above is still white, but the other one has more developed red bits than before.

DSC01375.jpg

So, obviously this is distressing for me. I've taken other posts advice and have been feeding Sushi a couple of peas a day, and nothing else.

I've just given her a full clean out but the tank is always pretty clean so until I get a water testing kit I won't know.

Anyway, if anyone is able to explain to me what these different symptoms represent I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for your time.

Paddy

Hi and :welcome

First, sometimes lighter colored fish naturally show their blood vessles more readily than others. Streaking could be caused by any number of things.

Since you don't have a water test kit, you can take your water to a pet store and have them test it for you. Ask them for the numbers. Fine and ok is not enough. Real numbers posted back here and you will have tons of people trying to help you out. :) If something is wrong with your water, then one of the moderators can help you out!

What kind of water conditioner do you use? Are you doing temperature matched, dechlorinated water changes?

Personally, I would start with a big water change. Fresh water is always good for the fish! Just save some of the water for testing.

I have a link under my name where you can read a bit up on swim bladder. :)

My fish get all floaty because: they steal someone elses food and overeat, nitrates get too high, reabsorbing eggs, etc....So we need to start with the water.

If you can get a test kit, get the drops not the strips. The strips are inaccurate almost all the time. No need wasting money. How long have you had this fish, what type of filter do you have, aeriation in the water, how long has the tank been running???

Post back!

I hope Sushi is fine!!!!!! She's such a cutie!! :heart Do post back soon!

Hi.

good news, Sushi seems to be better now. She can hold her position in the water without effort, and doesn't float.

This must mean the peas and the water change worked. I'm still going to get a water drop kit asap though to find out what's going on.

Thanks for your help!

You will need to get that test kit. In the meantime water changes until you know for certain. you can take the water to the store and get it tested. However ask them to please write down the numbers...fine does not suffice.

I am glad Sushi is better! :)

Sushiis a really cool looking fish :)