Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fade066

Just Want To Knw,

hello again everybody! I just want to knw, does this fish have velvet? I was on a local forum, and there's a fish like that, with whitish stuff, and the ppl there said it has got velvet, but the rest said it was perfectly alright.

Btw, this is my new fish :) I call it Jebby :heart I knw i said i would get goldfish again in June, but i couldnt resist his lil face when i saw him. I also got a new oranda. it's a she, and she's called Pureen :) I knw im overstocked, but im gonna perform daily water changes from now coz i stripped everything dwn today, and threw away the filter media coz I was afraid Wall E's sickness bacteria were in the filter. now there's 3 buggers in my lil tank. I think i should be able to hold out till june.

Im afraid that Jebby has velvet tho. I got Pureen and Jebby just ytd night. Hope he's fine.

The two of them are active, and looking very bright! I think Reyna is still mourning Wall E tho.. She is not sick or what, just that she tends to hang alone, but she would join the other two sometimes. I think she's perking up alr tho ^^

Erm, it did not let me edit ... Anw, i am such a dumbass because i forgot to upload the photos :doh11:

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

See all the fuzzy areas? Is this a cause for worry? I am so scared to lose this lil bugger coz he's so cute.. The white areas on his wen, are they signs that his wen is growing or sth ?

Here is a pic of him with Pureen.

IMG_0659.jpg

Also, Pureen has a couple of red streaks in her tail. I think they are just signs of stress coz i got her just ytd, when i got Jebby.

They will go off right?

Thanks everybody ~ :D

Hey pristine! Your new fish is absolutely adoreable :D ! And guess what, that is not velvet :)

Velvet is rather difficult to see. You need to shine a torch usually along the back of the fish and see if you can see the distinctive glimmer of gold dust. First time I saw it I thought the fish had been dusted with yellow paint.

What your fish may have however is another parasite. When fish are battling parasites like flukes for example the slimecoat starts to slough off and get milky in a kind of self defence. I think it would be a very good idea to start all the fish in the tank immediately on a salt treatment. It is very simple (as long as you keep track) and very cheap. You can use sea salt, pickling, kosher, rock. Please see the link in my sig in how to go about salting your fish.

Then, when you have salted for one week I suggest you find some prazi and treat all the fish for flukes, which is a parasite that salt won't budge and is also a possibility.

Thanks for the fast reply Trinket! I went to check on Jebby repeatedly today, and the milkiness seemed to go off. Now he doesn't look tht milky anymore:D

I dont have a test kit because i am currently low on cash, so i dont think i will salt them just yet because my tank isnt cycled yet. Thats why i will do water changes everyday. Thanks, i knw they're cute :heart They are active, and their fins are all erect (that's a great sign r8?) and they look happy :D

Btw, do you knw what i should,and should not do w Jebby? Because i dont want him to lose his black. I read that Black ranchus shld be fed foods w/o colour enhancing stuff added?

I will post back here if Jebby shows any signs that are cause for worry :)

IMG_0709.jpg

Dont they look so small? :rofl

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

Sooo beautiful and a lovely set up/tank by the way. Really shows the fish off well.

I think light helps with the black, but remember to turn off the lights at night as they dont have eyelids and need some shut-eye.

Jebby looks so much better, perhaps he was very stressed only. Please post back if you see any flashing or anything at all you are worried about.

Yes do post back. You have beautiful fish! :)

Just want to make sure they are nice and healthy! ;)

Hi everybody ! Thanks for the compliments ! I saw Jebby flash once ytd. That really freaked me out! And Pureen has got two white "lines" on her wen! Omg, are those fish lice??? Can someone show me a pic of a fish with an orange wen with lice? I would really appreciate it!! Other than these, they have been active, and swimming well :D Oh i forgot to mention, Jebby's poop has had no colour ytd and im afraid he has got some internal bacterial thingy going on ??? :( I tried for the first time feeding them frozen bw ytd, and they loved it !!!!!!!! :D :D:D:D

Ok so i took some shots of Pureen.

IMG_0784.jpg

The clearest Pic i could take :X See her wen, there's like a white line there? It's like deep in her wen if im not wrong? Because there's a lil less whitish line to the right of th more obvious line. The white line on the other side of her wen has disappeared. This morning, i found what seemed to be an "egg sack" or sth. It was white, and i suspect it dropped from where the white line on the left of her wen used to be. I scooped it out, and pressed it real hard, but it didnt burst or anyt.. So maybe it's not an egg sack. So does anybody have any idea as to what this white "thing" is?

Pictures :

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

And this is just a grp shot of my three self raised platies in the ten gallon.

Hi again! Great pics btw :thumb: .

I think its normal wen growth. There are sometimes little pustule type blistery bumps that change color -as the wen is growing. As long as you cannot see any red at the base of the white (and the fish is eating well and behaving normally) I wouldn't worry too much. It is definitely not lice. Fish lice look green or grey and they..eww..move.

Keep an eye on it and if you see any reddening around the white spot post back here.

Jebbys poop could be stress from the move. How are your water paramaters? Ammonia/nitrites/nitrates/pH today? Are you cycling the tank from scratch or did you use some media from your plattie tank :)

Hi again! Great pics btw :thumb: .

I think its normal wen growth. There are sometimes little pustule type blistery bumps that change color -as the wen is growing. As long as you cannot see any red at the base of the white (and the fish is eating well and behaving normally) I wouldn't worry too much. It is definitely not lice. Fish lice look green or grey and they..eww..move.

Keep an eye on it and if you see any reddening around the white spot post back here.

Jebbys poop could be stress from the move. How are your water paramaters? Ammonia/nitrites/nitou cycling nirates/pH today? Are you cycling the tank from scratch or did you use some media from your plattie tank :)

Oh, that's great news!! I was soooo freaked out when i actually saw a tiny piece from that white stringy thing fall off! Phew.. I dont have a test kit yet. I will definitely get one in June because i will try working. Then when i earn my own money, my dad wont have to spend his to buy fishy things for me LOL ! I have been going to my LFS and they stock Tetra kits. Are those good? If they are, i think i will get those! However, i did a wc today. abt 40 to 50 %. They are acting fine. Active, eating, and swimming well. Pureen is also pooping egg poop. As in her poop has bubbles haha. But they are doing great. and they're even more active after the water change. I started cycling from scratch. I knw i shld not have :ignore but i have been wcs every day, unless im too busy. So far, it's day 3 of cycling. And they have been doing great! :D

Edited by pristine

Just remember you can get your water checked at the store....most of them will cooperate. Just ask for the numbers..not fine or ok. :) That way when Trinket comes to check on you she can have the exact parameters.

Looks like wen growth to me. If you start to see something different, definitely let us know.

Just remember you can get your water checked at the store....most of them will cooperate. Just ask for the numbers..not fine or ok. :) That way when Trinket comes to check on you she can have the exact parameters.

Looks like wen growth to me. If you start to see something different, definitely let us know.

Yup i knw. I tried asking at my LFS, but the guy there said he doesnt provide testing because he doesnt even test his water! He said he only tests his water when sth is wrong. The white has disappeared, so yes it's wen growth :happydance Thanks for your help everyone! They are doing great , and i will be sure to keep up w my water changes :D

I don't know enough about parasites, wens, etc to comment on that stuff, but I just have to say, as for Jebby (the black one I believe?) That white filmy business looked a lot like he was in a yucky tank. Especially since you said he started to lose his white filmyness after being in your tank it seems like maybe there was a lot of ammonia or something bothering his slimecoat.

I've seen goldies in a poorly cycled and/or infrequently cleaned tank where ammonia was pretty sky high for a goldie, and all the fish had this fuzzy white coating all over them like your jebby had, only a lot worse, even over their eyes! They just sat there respirating painfully labored.

Well of course I had to intervene and they are all happy and healthy now! With nothing more than and IMMEDIATE change of location and incessant water changes ( this was the ONE instance where I put a goldie in a fish bowl, because 24 hours in that with water changes every four hours must have been a cool, soothing heaven compared to the pain and burning of that foul tank!)

Anyway, long story short, I think it may just have been from his previous environment.

I don't know enough about parasites, wens, etc to comment on that stuff, but I just have to say, as for Jebby (the black one I believe?) That white filmy business looked a lot like he was in a yucky tank. Especially since you said he started to lose his white filmyness after being in your tank it seems like maybe there was a lot of ammonia or something bothering his slimecoat.

I've seen goldies in a poorly cycled and/or infrequently cleaned tank where ammonia was pretty sky high for a goldie, and all the fish had this fuzzy white coating all over them like your jebby had, only a lot worse, even over their eyes! They just sat there respirating painfully labored.

Well of course I had to intervene and they are all happy and healthy now! With nothing more than and IMMEDIATE change of location and incessant water changes ( this was the ONE instance where I put a goldie in a fish bowl, because 24 hours in that with water changes every four hours must have been a cool, soothing heaven compared to the pain and burning of that foul tank!)

Anyway, long story short, I think it may just have been from his previous environment.

Oh! Yes, the blackie's Jebby :D Yup his white filmness has almost all gone off, and he's happy as can be! Thanks for letting me knw! :)