Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shelopie

Nipping & Chasing

I have a black moor that I think is probably at least a year old. He (i think it's a he) was kinda big when I bought him, he's about 3 1/2 in. long now. Then I bought a little oranda about 3 weeks ago (about 1 in. long). He hasn't bothered it at all. I bought another little one last week about the same size, and now all the sudden my black moor chases them both around nipps at them. He hasn't hurt them, and I keep looking for signs on his fins or gills for mating but haven't seen any. If he was ready for mating, would he try to mate with other fish that young? I can't tell what sex they are yet. They are in a 15 gallon tank for now and have plenty of room since the other two are so little, and water conditions are good. I am planning on upgrading to a 55 gal. tank in the next week or two. Why is he doing this all the sudden?

I stumbled onto my ryukin's breeding stars by pure accident. He was swimming along and just the right light hit him and, lo and behold, I saw tiny little spots shining on his gills. But, look again at him straight on, I could see nothing. You really have to struggle to see them. Sometimes it's easier to see them on their pectoral fins. If the fish is white where the stars are supposed to be, it's going to be double hard to see.....

And yes, if a male is ready to mate, he will try to mate with anything. Large, small, female, male. Cat, dog, it doesn't matter. :tomuch:

But, it could be a territorial aggression thing. The two little ones are new. He was there first. It was his tank. Sometimes aggression can be from just saying this is my space and sometimes it can be from saying there isn't enough space, so getting a larger tank soon may help this issue as well. If it's just an "I was here first" thing, that should go away once they get to be pals, and they will.

Thanks for the info, his belly is a whitish yellow so it is very hard to see. I've looked everywhich way I can and don't see any stars, and he doesn't chase them but for a few minutes at the time so I think maybe it is a territorial thing. :thanks

AT 3 1/2 in. long it may be hard to see breeding stars.

Especially if he is a light color

Try shining a torch at night into the tank.

Other than that just watch and observe.

Either way watch as you dont want the chased one to get over-stressed.