Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
autisticfish

I Think I'm Addicted...

aaaaaahhhhh! I cannot resist fishy cuteness! Today I got to go to King Ed Pet Center - one of the best sources for fish in BC. Of course I was blown away by their goldies and wound up taking FOUR home!

I did some shuffling, so everyone is set up with temporary digs that work. I'm going to start digging on that pond this weekend, because the water changes I'm having to do with so many tanks on the go in QT are crazy!

Without further ado...

This is "Marty", named by my son. He's a little male, about 2 1/2" without tail, a good size. I LOVE his bright yellow head, and his pretty yellow fins. The red eyes are cool too. All his fins are paired and a nice deep body. Very healthy.

P1070062.jpg

P1070063.jpg

P1070069.jpg

Now here are the big 'uns. Each of these fish's body is as big in height/diameter as a tennis ball - they're BIG. With tail, the orandas are about 8", the ranchu is about 5".

"Sherman" (male)

P1070089.jpg

P1070094.jpg

such a cute face!

P1070097.jpg

"Jupiter" (I'm *pretty* sure male, but haven't been able to have a close enough look for breeding stars to be sure)

P1070091.jpg

P1070108.jpg

P1070123.jpg

This beauty is as yet unnamed. She's got some swim bladder issues going on, which is part of why I bought her - very active and lively, but floaty, and I felt bad for her in the crowded tank. Hopefully with gel food and peas she'll improve - she seems considerably better already. Her tail is stunning - looks just like a butterfly, and when she's swimming it makes me think of a flamenco dancer's skirt. Fairly certain she's a "she".

P1070126.jpg

P1070082.jpg

(notice Jupiter mugging in on the pic of her tail!)

P1070118.jpg

getting cozy with Sherman (they're from the same tank in the store, and were buddied up in there too)

P1070109.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That's so wonderful you kept shermen and the other fish together :) can you imagine being seperated from a good friend you've known all your life and never seeing them again? Probably happens in fishstores all the time :( but I'm glad these two got to stay together! SImply marvelous fish!

Wow...these are stunning. They must have come from a pretty amazing store!

Wow! They are all really georgeous. Do you mind me asking if you paid a lot for them? I think they would be worth a fair bit :)

They are really beautiful, especially the 'flamenco dancer' :heart

Suggestion for name: Andalusia

Wow very nice oranda's. Love that first one but I have a soft spot for white fish. Gratz.

You have a beautiful group of goldies, and your tank looks great!!

Wow! They are all really georgeous. Do you mind me asking if you paid a lot for them? I think they would be worth a fair bit :)

Thanks for all the nice comments!

They were actually, given their size and quality, CHEAP.

The lemon-head was in a tank where the fish were $15 each, or 3 for $30.

The two large orandas were in a tank of $40 each, or 3 for $80. I didn't want three of the big orandas, and did want the lemon-head, so I got the three of them for $80!

Jupiter, the Ranchu, was listed at $60 (in a tank of equally big and beautiful ranchu, including lots of black ranchu with massive headgrowth, for the same price), but the store manager gave him to me for $45, since I was getting the other fish.

They had every type of goldie you could want there - calicos, red and whites, solid reds, etc. orandas, pearlscales, ryukins, telescopes. They had the most beautiful tank of fancy butterfly telescopes, in all shades of lavender, chocolate, some pandas, etc - only $15 each!!!!

It was HARD to walk out of there with just 4 fish I tell you.

The fish I got had all been in store for 2 months. They came from China - all their goldfish are imported from China, Koi from Japan. You can read a bit about the store I got them from here:

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/travel...lk_VAS_III.html

WOW... those are some amazing fish!

(wonders if somehow i can convince beany that we need to visit vancouver... and bring back fish :lol2 )

Wow,they are all just gorgeous! And the prices are amazing. There's nothing like that around here and it's probably just as well,lol.

Yeah, Vancouver is over an hour drive for me - it's 3 cities away. We don't get anything like that as far as quality and selection in the lfs or even the big chain stores around here though. What we do get around here is generally smallish, in poor condition, doesn't have great conformation, and expensive. For example, in the local stores, to get a regular red cap oranda the size of the lemon head oranda I got, but lower quality (not such a deep body or such good head growth), I'd pay at least $30. For a fish like Jupiter, who again, would not be as high quality, if they ever got a fish in that big, I'd pay over $100 for sure.

So yeah, big score :)

Beautiful!

So, I named the big red and black girl - her name is "Mai". It's Chinese for "ocean" or "elegant", and Japanese for "dance". Thought it was fitting.

And Jupiter is a boy - he's got tubercules on his pectoral fins.

I started treating all the new guys with Prazi today, under the assumption that they'll have flukes. I've also started feeding a course of Medi-Gold, since Jupiter's got a bit of red streaking on the end of one fin, and Mai is so floaty (her bum floats, she's head down pretty much all the time). I think Mai's floating issues are actually swim bladder related, but best to rule out bacterial infection. Plus I read that if fish have flukes, they usually have an internal bacterial infection too.

Overall, the fish all look really good. Eating well, active, fins upright. I'm very pleased with them :)

Wow! Those are some fantastic looking Goldfish! I haven't been able to find a store that even comes close to that kind of quality with Goldies here in the Lower Mainland. Where in Vancouver is this shop? I hope it's not too far from BCIT because I'd love to check this place out after school!

Beautiful fish and great pics!

WOW... those are some amazing fish!

(wonders if somehow i can convince beany that we need to visit vancouver... and bring back fish :lol2 )

Ok. I always wanted to visit BC.

But do you have to bring fish back? Haha!

Wow! Those are some fantastic looking Goldfish! I haven't been able to find a store that even comes close to that kind of quality with Goldies here in the Lower Mainland. Where in Vancouver is this shop? I hope it's not too far from BCIT because I'd love to check this place out after school!

It's reasonably close to BCIT. Address is the 7000 block of Kingsway (on the corner of Kingsway and Edmonds). So, if you headed down Canada Way then hung a right on Edmunds, it would take you straight there. Less than a 10 minute drive from BCIT I'd say.

Oh that's perfect! Thanks alot AutisticFish!

Hmm... how to convince the girlfriend to let me expand the family a little... She must think I'm a little crazy for giving so much care and attention to my fish. If she doesn't understand, at least all of you do!

Very cute! You have beautiful fish! Hope your fishies swim bladder issues go away! :thumb: