Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Faust

Too Much Air?

Any idea if there is a such thing as too much air in the water? I am going to be honest. I wasn't the best on supplying enough air, or should I say that the demand is now need more. So now I have a total of 4 air stones powered by 2 air pumps that are intended for 120gal tanks each, and noticed that I have 5gal tank air pump that has an air stone as well that is pumping out about the same amount of bubbles as the other air stones, so I would imagine that the temperature limits exactly how much air can be used within the water, and I guess the rest is just excess. However, I have a feeling that air and temperature also can affect how they grow (which keeping up on water changes and feeding properly as well is necessary).

Does anyone know if there is a such thing as too much air though? Am I wrong? My goldfish aren't the biggest, but they are about the size of my fist and surpassed the size any local fish store here has ever had ever (measuring by body not fins). Anyways, the real reason for asking is because I bought these goldfish when they were very very small and after a year grew to this size. Yet, there are some "Large" Ryukin at the petstore when I looked today, that were half the size of mine and the lady said they had been there for 2 years!!!! In that very same section at $50 a pop!

The reason why I ask is because I wanted to see how fast I can increase the size of the smaller fish I plan on buying to join my other two once I get my pond going. I am going to look at some ponds today or tomorrow and find a way to have those transported to my place. I want babies again already!

It's quite hard to achieve saturation levels for dissolved oxygen in tanks although that's what I aim for. Saturation level is 14PPM. You can get an oxygen kit to check your tank levels, looks like this:tetra-oxygen-test-kit.jpg

The warmer your water the less oxygen there will be in it, you're right with that. As the weather warms we should double oxygen levels- the beneficial bacteria need it too.

LOL goldfish that have been there for two years...you could probably get them for $10 each...

Goldfish grow the fastest during thier first 2 years. Their growth rate slows down each year after. If you want to see how fast you can increase the size of your smaller goldfish. Buy the smallest you can find and hopefully that will be youngest and not stunted. Because the younger they are the faster they grow.

Goldfish grow the fastest during thier first 2 years. Their growth rate slows down each year after. If you want to see how fast you can increase the size of your smaller goldfish. Buy the smallest you can find and hopefully that will be youngest and not stunted. Because the younger they are the faster they grow.

Ok that makes sense then. Because I bought mine very small at 1" and grew to 4" or 5" within 6 months (no joke, then again, I don't know how to properly measure if you add tail or not, but needless to say, they got to the size a very large net was required and I realize this is too much of writing to put in parenthesis! LOL).

:exactly what Trinket said :)

I denied my little boogers air in the beginning as well. I don't think you need to over-compensate for this now. Double what the manufacturer says for aeration is plenty. If the box says for 30 gallon than it is plenty for 15 gallon, given you use a proper air stone. I like the ones with smaller bubbles and the longer the better, don't go cheap with the crappy ones. Get a good one and it will pay off with proper cleaning :)