Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Faust

Sad....

Ok, so I have a female Ryukin that I had picked out of a local petstore. She grew large as heck, as my other goldfish. She is on her way out now sadly.... I can tell by how she hardly eats and after treatment, she is not getting any better. I am going to give her a bit longer to see improvement, and if nothing, I may have to put her to sleep. So sadly, I am going to need a new female ryukin. Is there anyone who breeds these, who takes good care of their fishies and willing to sell one? I dunno about how you measure their size, because it seems some people measure with tail, and plus they have round bodies. But she is about the size of a average woman's fist, or just a tad smaller. Sorry if I didn't post in the correct part, I haven't been active on this site in quite some time due to the destruction of my last computer, and waiting to have the funds on this new computer (because I was building up my car).

I just don't want to get a smaller Ryukin, out of fear my other two big boys will hurt her, as one barely tolorates my other ryukin, because my black moor is the man of the tank and he is MEAN! He hates ranchus and will suck out their eyeballs.

You should post in the disease section to see if you can't figure out what's wrong with your female. How old is she? It seems weird that she would just kinda give up, unless she was closer to 10-15 yrs old......

The best bet you would have with finding a big ryukin would be the goldfish connection auction. But be warned, they are really pricey.

maybe you can post over in 911/999 or the D&D for some suggestions on the ryukin? sorry she's not doing well. :k055:

I agree with Sarah and Martha. Post in the disease section and see if there isn't some sort of help you can get first, for your ryukin before just giving up on her. It's so frustrating, I know. I have a little lionhead that has permanent swim bladder damage and she putters around sideways all alone in her 10 gallon tank, only halfway in control and I feel so sorry for her and sometimes I wish I had the courage to put her out of her (or maybe my) misery. But, she seems totally fine and healthy otherwise. Point is, I haven't given up on her, so I would encourage you to do the same. Just knowing you tried everything and didn't give up will make you feel better.

But, yeah, without a doubt, if you want a large, healthy fish, Goldfish Connection is the place to find one. They are a bit pricey, but, with goldfish, the saying, "you get what you pay for," is completely correct.

Edited by Lynda Von G

Well, I had bought her from nnnn when she was the smallest size they sell them at. She grew to about 5-6" and now even being in the same tank with others who may slightly have this problem (I was away for awhile and they got hit with fin rot), she has it severely! She also has major swim bladder problems and hides in a corner and doesn't eat. The other fish appear quite healthy, but I am treating the whole tank right now. I do not have a quaritine tank, nor the room for one. I was hoping she would make it until I install a pond in the back, which could be sometime this week. She rarely eats, and just sits off in the corner upside down, breathing very slowly. The other fish have been doing well on not bothering her, even though they are in the mood for breeding. So I dunno......

(Sorry, it did not let me edit my previous post with this)

OH! Also, typically how long do these auctions last? I was waiting around all morning for this. I see them up now, so I am going to go ahead and bid or buy now that I registered. Took me awhile to find this guy again, because yeah, he does have nice fish all the time. Anyways, wish me luck, because I am going to give her some time, but if she doesn't recover soon, I may have to do it. It isn't the first fish I have had to this to, because breeding betta, I had to do it quite often as they can be very weak and deformed. Ok, so I am going to watch these auctions, I just wish I knew how long they are, unless I am blind and do not see. I just registered real fast and came back to edit this post with what I am writing right now.

EDIT AGAIN: Oh wow, only 24 left?! I guess I will keep my eye out for the next auction then, the one I had my eye on is gone. Dang! I wish I knew what time these started, because I was up and here until 7AM before I decided to "Nap" before I headed out to Pick A Part for car parts. UGh!

Edited by Faust

The auction lasts one week; Sunday to Sunday. With some breaks, Ken has his auctions almost every week, so if you miss one or have to wait or don't see a fish you particularly like, you can be assured another one will come along.

A suggestion, in general, about how to bid on auctions: never put in your bid at the beginning of an auction. You just end up bidding against yourself in the long run because the other person then feels like they need to outbid you. You wait and watch. See how many people you're going up against, via the usernames. Then jump in at the last few minutes and bid the most you can afford to bid.

But, I see a big problem. If you don't have a qt tank, how can you get a new fish? You have to qt. Now, while Ken has really nice fish, you still really need to quarantine. And, maybe in this case, because of the other way around. You have a potentially sick tank and you don't want to introduce a nice, new, healthy fish to it.

The auction lasts one week; Sunday to Sunday. With some breaks, Ken has his auctions almost every week, so if you miss one or have to wait or don't see a fish you particularly like, you can be assured another one will come along.

A suggestion, in general, about how to bid on auctions: never put in your bid at the beginning of an auction. You just end up bidding against yourself in the long run because the other person then feels like they need to outbid you. You wait and watch. See how many people you're going up against, via the usernames. Then jump in at the last few minutes and bid the most you can afford to bid.

But, I see a big problem. If you don't have a qt tank, how can you get a new fish? You have to qt. Now, while Ken has really nice fish, you still really need to quarantine. And, maybe in this case, because of the other way around. You have a potentially sick tank and you don't want to introduce a nice, new, healthy fish to it.

Good point. What I was going to do was use my current tank as the qt tank when I add my new pond this week. Well, with that said, I suppose I would have to give the pond a bit to be fish ready like I would a tank, and possibly much longer than a tank as well. Either way, the tank in my room would be used for such. That way I can keep a close eye on the fish. I just have too much stuff in my room and would either have to get a much larger tank once I tile my floor, or just go with the plan mentioned above.

Oh, thanks for the heads up, but I am famous for "Sniping" on eBay. I should have a medal and a Purple Heart for my efforts there! LOL Unless I feel I must go beyond my means out of respect to the seller, yeah... I snipe the heck outta auctions and amazed by the outcomes. I have access to it all no matter where I go.

You can always get a rubber tote from a hardware store or a big box store. I have my fish in qt with airstone and filter. I have to do daily water changes...but that is why it is in my spare bathroom!

Have you checked your water parameters...high nitrates flip my fish....! Good luck!

You can always get a rubber tote from a hardware store or a big box store. I have my fish in qt with airstone and filter. I have to do daily water changes...but that is why it is in my spare bathroom!

Have you checked your water parameters...high nitrates flip my fish....! Good luck!

Wow, seriously, (I am a bad owner), I never checked nitrates and such.... I am going to the pet store right now and I am going to stock up on some stuff. Do people also do this with ponds?

Not only do high nitrates cause unstable swimming, but some fish seem to be sensitive to some processed food diets.

It does seem, however, that if your fish is upside down on the BOTTOM of the tank, you are not dealing with JUST "swim bladder". What have you been treating for? Bacteria? Parasites? How long?

It is possible that the fish has been injured by various treatments to the point where she is non-recoverable..... but the tank is "clean".

I like the suggestion to check your nitrates. Nitrate "poisoning" can eventually kill some fish, handicap others, flip some and..... for the lucky ones, not seem to do much of anything!

P.s. I am moving this to D&D. Perhaps your fish can be helped - or at least your tank.

Baffles me how more people don't get the idea of sniping, or at the very least, just don't bid back and forth constantly and raise that price against yourself. Anyway.

Wow, seriously, (I am a bad owner), I never checked nitrates and such.... I am going to the pet store right now and I am going to stock up on some stuff. Do people also do this with ponds?

:yikes Never?! You've never checked your water parameters?! OMG! You only live a couple hundred miles from me...... I'm comin' out to kick your backside! lol! :kickbutt I'm not even going to go into whether that may have been what's happened to your sick fishy. How is she, btw? Did you decide to euthanize her?

You need DROP test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. The API Master Test Kit is a good choice.

While it isn't as important to worry about a pond's water quality because it's usually larger and in a more natural setting, yes, you do still need to maintain water quality in a pond as well. And, you're going to need to worry about cats and raccoons, so start looking for nets that can be secured, yes, secured, not just laid over, your pond. Those sneaky raccoons use their paws like hands. They will pull off anything that isn't bolted down, trust me. Even here in urban Los Angeles, right off Santa Monica Blvd., I have raccoons! They destroyed my pond, plants and patio several times.

Okay, back to testing.

You should have water readings as follows:

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrites: 0 ppm

Nitrates: 5-20 ppm

Anything different than this and you'll need to start working on bringing your water quality back into line. If you need to know how, just let us know.

Personally, I hate snipers. I think it is kind of underhanded. I guess it works, but.........

JMO

I do not like auctions, particularly, either. I usually put in the amount I have budgeted as a ceiling bid. If the item goes above that, then tough. That way I am NEVER tempted to bid more than I am willing to pay. I do not want to have hard feelings about something I have purchased because I ended up paying more than I really wanted to.

I would much rather just talk to the person selling an item and ask them what they want for it. After some discussion, if we can arrive at a reasonable, honest price, I pay it. Otherwise.....not. I hate sitting and waiting a week.

Call me old fashioned, but..............

:unsure:

I don't do that sniper biding either. I don't think it's fair. :twocents unless you've been on the other end I guess you wouldn't understand how it feels to be outbid in the last 30 seconds of the auction by 50 freaking cents! :madrant:cry:(

Baffles me how more people don't get the idea of sniping, or at the very least, just don't bid back and forth constantly and raise that price against yourself. Anyway.

:yikes Never?! You've never checked your water parameters?! OMG! You only live a couple hundred miles from me...... I'm comin' out to kick your backside! lol! :kickbutt I'm not even going to go into whether that may have been what's happened to your sick fishy. How is she, btw? Did you decide to euthanize her?

You need DROP test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. The API Master Test Kit is a good choice.

While it isn't as important to worry about a pond's water quality because it's usually larger and in a more natural setting, yes, you do still need to maintain water quality in a pond as well. And, you're going to need to worry about cats and raccoons, so start looking for nets that can be secured, yes, secured, not just laid over, your pond. Those sneaky raccoons use their paws like hands. They will pull off anything that isn't bolted down, trust me. Even here in urban Los Angeles, right off Santa Monica Blvd., I have raccoons! They destroyed my pond, plants and patio several times.

Okay, back to testing.

You should have water readings as follows:

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrites: 0 ppm

Nitrates: 5-20 ppm

Anything different than this and you'll need to start working on bringing your water quality back into line. If you need to know how, just let us know.

I see.... I am pretty good about their habits for parasites, since bettas react the same and I have breed those for awhile before I got into Goldfish, only my problem was I did complete water changes weekly and I think that was not good for their enzymes. But now I know better, and knowing is half the battle! (G.I.Jooooooooooe! American heroooooooooooooooo!) Ahem!

Where was I? Oh yeah, so now I am checking the water and going to make it a habit, and yes, I had to do it. I couldn't stand watching her suffer, she was upside down, breathing hard, and in the corner. Although she did manage to eat at times, it was getting less and less. The other two fish are healthy and happy as can be. Had them in the tank raised together.

I don't do that sniper biding either. I don't think it's fair. :twocents unless you've been on the other end I guess you wouldn't understand how it feels to be outbid in the last 30 seconds of the auction by 50 freaking cents! :madrant:cry:(

I agree, but there are also people who try to profit from shipping. But the way I see it being both a seller and a buyer, is that I would appreciate those $.50 vs nothing at all, because if people wanted it, it would sell for more. It is all bidding regardless, and we have our methods. They also have the option to do Buy it Now, Best offer, and reserve.