Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nastymonster

My Ranchu

He definitely is gaining size and bulk. Very nice fish you have! What do you feed him? Feeding him high protein diet might accelerate his wen growth. I use Hikari Lionhead for that.:)

Yep he's been on Hikari Lionhead since I got him as well as the occasional pea and tank vegetation. He must be about a year old now though so I'd hav thought the wen would have been more developed by now?

He's looking great! I'll bet that upgraded tank made a big difference. I think I can see the beginnings of a wen there. Have patience, it should come. In my experience, the Hikari lionhead really helps to grow wens.

Thanks Chrissy! To be honest I don't mind too much, I mean, when you hear about wens that cover gills or eyes it doesn't sound too great. I wouldn't mind a bit more growth there though, at the moment it's a kind of velvet covering that if looked at very closely has slight wen growth on it. Whether is develops or not will just be a matter of wait and see I suppose!

very adorable!!!!!

I have a similarly sized and colored Ranchu (Shrimp Louie, the fish in my avatar). Like Sushi, Shrimp Louie doesn't have much in the way of a wen yet. But I've heard that's actually very desirable! I was told that for the first year or two, you want the fish to put all its growing energy and resources into developing their body, and that it's good if the wen (or extremely long finnage, if it's that type of fish) comes later.

Sushi is lovely (and not just because he/she looks like one of my Ranchus!).

That's really interesting. Do you remember where you heard that information? It'd be interesting to find out more about the wen growth process.

Has anyone else had a ranchu that didn't develop wen growth until after a year old?

That's really interesting. Do you remember where you heard that information? It'd be interesting to find out more about the wen growth process.

To be honest, I really don't remember where I heard that -- could have been as long as 10 years ago. But I could swear I've seen it posted on Koko's too. Perhaps one of the more experienced folks who have raised numerous wenned fish can chime in with their opinions.

Lovely looking Ranchu you have there! I think I might try the Hikari Lionhead food if it aids the growth like this! Very well done.

Very cute Goldfish I love her coloring :) Thanks for sharing your Pic's :)

Aww, she is so pretty! I love the red in her tail!