Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gunbunnyj

I Have Babies!

My fish, the black and white ryukin, laid eggs again sometime Friday night while I was asleep. They did a pretty good job of eating most of them and I didn't really see any until they started turning white today. So I got in there and started cleaning up. And what did I find but about 30-40 clear eggs with little black eyes and spines looking at me. Had there been no little, tiny fish bodies in there I easily could've disposed of the eggs but when I touch them and the little fish wiggled I couldn't kill them.

ukulele026.jpg

Several of the little guys hatched after I moved them, I hope they'll be ok.

So I know that I need a brine shrimp hactcher thingie for them. I'll go pick that up tomorrow.

This cup is not permenant. I just moved them here while I was cleaning the tank. It will go inside the tank I move them too. I have a 3 gallon and a 10 gallon. Knowing nothing about raising fry, should I put them in the 3 gallon until they get a little bigger or should I put them directly into the 10 gallon.

I also have little seed filter which I will use with some media from the big tank.

Is there anything else I need?

:happyb

Congrats on the babies!! good luck with them.

How exciting Jenny!!! :D

I'm so glad you posted your cup picture.

I can't wait to see how they develop as they grow. :):heart

Thanks you guys.

From reading some around the site I've decided to put them straight into the 10 gallon. It seems I don't really need any filtration till about the third day. From what I've read I should salt the tank to 0.3%. Should I do this all at once or gradually?

Do I need to add prazi? Or anything else?

All the help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks you guys.

From reading some around the site I've decided to put them straight into the 10 gallon. It seems I don't really need any filtration till about the third day. From what I've read I should salt the tank to 0.3%. Should I do this all at once or gradually?

Do I need to add prazi? Or anything else?

All the help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I never add any salt or meds to my fry tanks. They are really delicate especially when new. In the 10 gallon I only fill it halfway for the first two weeks. Then gradually add water the third week to bring it up full. Also a sponge filter for the first 2-3 weeks is best. I use Liquid fry food for the first week then at 2 weeks start using Hikari First Bites and Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp. I use a piece of airline tubing to clean the bottom and to do daily water changes for the first few weeks while they are so tiny.

OK. So no salt or meds. Got it. I'll fill the tank only half and slowly add. And I'll get a sponge filter. Do I need to do the brine shrimp hatchery or is just a liquid food fine? All I have near me in the way of pet stores is a Pet CO. and a pet*dumb. Will these have a sponge filter and some form of acceptable fry food?

OK. So no salt or meds. Got it. I'll fill the tank only half and slowly add. And I'll get a sponge filter. Do I need to do the brine shrimp hatchery or is just a liquid food fine? All I have near me in the way of pet stores is a Pet CO. and a pet*dumb. Will these have a sponge filter and some form of acceptable fry food?

They should have what you need. I get Wardley's Small Fry Liquid Food for all baby fish. A lot of folks hatch the baby brine shrimp but I just use the frozen. It's just less hassle for me,lol. Just be sure it's baby brine and not adult ones. I also use a gang valve for the sponge filter and air pump so I can control the air flow. It needs to be very slow for the first weeks. Hopefully some of the folks who have way more experience with fry than me will chime in here as well.

I seem to be having a hard time finding a sponge filter. I did find one at Pet CO and I'll go back and get that one if i can't find any others but I wondered if something like this work instead.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCatalog/c...nal&offset=

It appears to be close to the same thing except no sponge on the outside and the water goes inside through media. I really have no idea about these things so tell me if I'm wrong.

If this can wait, I'm going next week to Big Al's in south Florida and I know they'll have sponge filters.

Edited by gunbunnyj

I seem to be having a hard time finding a sponge filter. I did find one at Pet CO and I'll go back and get that one if i can't find any others but I wondered if something like this work instead.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCatalog/c...nal&offset=

It appears to be close to the same thing except no sponge on the outside and the water goes inside through media. I really have no idea about these things so tell me if I'm wrong.

If this can wait, I'm going next week to Big Al's in south Florida and I know they'll have sponge filters.

That would be way to strong for new fry. The current needs to be very,very gentle especially the first few weeks as too strong of a one can damage the fry. Yes,it can wait,I'm pretty sure. Personally,I don't add the sponge filter until the second week usually.

Edited by Kathy B

OK. I had to go off to Orlando for school so I went to the Pet*dumb there. I found a penguin internal sponge filter. It has a 170gph which from what you're saying would probably have to strong a current as well. If it can wait I'll probably take that back since it was kind of expensive and just go buy a lower power one from Big Als next week.

Thank you so much Kathy for being so helpful. I'm sorry I have like a million questions but I really have no idea what I'm doing. :thanks

OK. I had to go off to Orlando for school so I went to the Pet*dumb there. I found a penguin internal sponge filter. It has a 170gph which from what you're saying would probably have to strong a current as well. If it can wait I'll probably take that back since it was kind of expensive and just go buy a lower power one from Big Als next week.

Thank you so much Kathy for being so helpful. I'm sorry I have like a million questions but I really have no idea what I'm doing. :thanks

I have the kind that hooks up to an air pump. I use a gang valve to control the air flow. It lets me bleed off extra air so that the flow to the fry is gentle but doesn't cause too much back pressure on the air pump. Then I can increase the flow as they grow.

Congrats on the fry! : )

I'm sure with Kathy's advice you'll have great luck since Kathy is becoming our resident fry expert LOL

Do you have any stores near you that specialize in aquarium stuff only? I have seen the types of sponge filters Kathy is talking about at many stores near me, but it's so much harder to find them at the chain stores.. I looked for them forever (cause I wanted on JUST in case) and finally found one at a fish only store...

Congrats on the fry! : )

I'm sure with Kathy's advice you'll have great luck since Kathy is becoming our resident fry expert LOL

Do you have any stores near you that specialize in aquarium stuff only? I have seen the types of sponge filters Kathy is talking about at many stores near me, but it's so much harder to find them at the chain stores.. I looked for them forever (cause I wanted on JUST in case) and finally found one at a fish only store...

I looked on the one I know of in Orlando and they had nothing. I doubt the one here in Titusville has any, they're really small, way overpriced and anything you buy from there tends to be dusty because it's been sitting on the shelf too long. But I'm going to South Florida this weekend and there's a Big Al's store there. I'm sure they'll have what I need. If not Big Al's has it online and I can order it.