Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lirpa1

Tubercles

Ok, I dont know where exactly to post this, but since it kinda relates to breeding I will post here. I obviously have a black moor MALE. He has the tubercles on his gills, and on his front fins. The tubercles are small blueish white dots.

I know it is called spawning, and males have this when they are ready to mate... Problem is I dont want him to do this. He has had the tubercles for a few weeks now, almost a month. He got them in the bowl he was in prior to his tank. He still has teh tubercles. Someone told me it could be the tempertaure of his water, and I accidentally caused "spring" conditions. The temperature ranges from 18 celsius to 23 celsius. It gets up to 23 b/c he is in my room, which is seperate from the house, and can get pretty hot in there during the high 30 celsius to 40 odd celsuis degree days. I keep aircon on 24 during the day so that the water doesnt get too warm for him.

I really can not do too much else about the temperature :( so is there any other way to stop these tubercles? are they normal? will they kill him as I have been told?

Thanks

Hi, there - I'm not able to answer your question, but have noticed the time going by and sensed your anxiety. Until a moderator comes to help you (because it's evening), my suggestion is to input "tubercles" in Koko's search bar. That way, you'll get all the forum's answers regarding tubercles. Or maybe go online and research?

Hope that helps. Until then, hang in there!

aww thanks:)

Yea I have searched it, but everything is on breeding and stuff, which I am not breeding my goldfish. He isnt acting stressed, or wierd, or like it is irritating him in anyway, I just see the tubercles... and yea. it gets stressing at time esp when I cannot make them go away :(

Hi!

Far as I know tubercules never killed any fish :D

They are just proof hes male and of breeding age is all. They don't hurt and the fish isn't aware of them.

Heres a pic, does your fishes tubercules look like this and are in the same place as these?or not exactly?

Tubercles are found on the small flat surface gill plates behind the eyes.....like these white spots..

Anettesfish.jpg

yep, just like that except my fish is black so they stand out pretty well. and then he has them all along the edge of his front fins as well. The tubercles are quite defined too.

Then its really nothing at all to worry about :)

Yes the first spine of the fins can also have them. As long as they are not on the body of the fish or the main part of the tail, you don't have to worry. And yes, on black fish they are really noticeable. They can fade somewhat when the fish is not in active breeding mode.

My moore has had tubercles for the past year or more, they've never gone away. And he's just fine :)

Guest horsemadmum

Congratulations!!! :Congrats: your boy has gone through puberty, you are now the proud owner of a teenage male with rampant hormones.

Be at ease they all do survive this (unless the parent throttles them first) :rofl Opps thats human teens..... :D

but it is basically the same thing and he will be healthy even if he doesn't breed.

Think of it this way. You are 20 years old so this shouldn't be a reach. You are in a "mood" and you don't have a man and ummm don't find another way to excercise the "mood". You are probably going to be in that mood (especially if you are a guy permanent mood issues) until you find a way to satisfy that desire. Just nature at work its one of the needs most animal experience. Fish same thing until his body tells him other wise he'll be rip roaring to spawn. And I don't care how many times your boyfriend has been in that mood and said its killing him trust me your boyfriend will not die from the "mood" and neither will the fish.

ha ha good way of putting it! i understand now lol

so I got him about a month and half ago... he began spawning a couple weeks later, so is there anyway to tell his age?

Tough to tell fish age but easier is size. I have three goldies. two I bought about 1.5 months a part when I first had them both exactly the same size now one is wwaaaaayyyy bigger than the other so really is no easy way to get an age unless you breed them then a bit easier.

The biggest concern you will have with this is a frisky fish like a frisky boyfriend sometimes tries too hard to get his womans attention. I love my girlfriend to death she treats me well but if I am in a "mood" she says I get annoying if she isn't cause I too playful. Your fish is much the same he will start chasing around fish for mating ritual. I have this little fantail he gets in the mood one day..... er...... week...... ok fortnight and I have this wonderfully long tailed ryukin well the fan tail sets his sites on ryukin and tears the poor guys tail up doing the whole mating dance thing. I actually had to seperate them at one point cause he was just destroying the poor guys tail. Since they have come back together but I had to promise Hsif (the fantail) a woman (a promise I am yet to follow through with) because he feels its like jail in there I think with all dudes. I dropped in some BN maybe one of them is a gal lol not really Hsif's type but who knows.

Anyways the moral of the story is as long as white spots watch for fishies not getting along just in case. If you have a male and female spawning will actually get rid of mood, just get a big silk plant to spawn into and make sure someone is of the female gender. Whoa whoa you are saying no more goldfish babies. Don't worry A)they are easy to cull if by some fluke they do survive (sorry fish hippies I know you don't want to hear that) B) Goldfish eat their eggs and their young so most likely won't have any babies anyways.

Yea if they spawned, I think I would try and let them eat the eggs ha ha.

otherwise I could raise some and see if the fish store would take some babies if by chance some make it.

or not feed my fish for a few days and then they can clean their own mess up.

Will a male and a male live together harmoniously? or do I definately need a female since mine is male?

and is there anyway to stop spawning? Do I try and lower the temp, and lower it? Or just let him and her "do their thing"?

Thanks toadie

I have one definate male living harmoniously with two unknown-gender fish. No eggs, no spawning. And they follow each other around! They have started a very small school :lol