Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bubbleboy

Fiona Released Eggs!

Ok so I got home around 1:00 am from a friends new years eve party, and went straight to bed. I didn't wake up until late this morning, but when I did, I woke to quite a suprise! After glancing at my tank a few times, some small bead-like things caught my eye. After looking at them a little closer, I found them to be all over the tank. I was so excited! :krazy: Fiona finally released eggs!

I was excited because not only is it just exciting, but I thought she might not be able to lay eggs because she had been stunted in her store tank or something. I guess I never thought a fish from a chain petstore could breed! But I always hoped and hoped she could, and behold, on new years day, she did! :D It's like a whole new part of goldfish keeping has been opened up to me.

Now I'm wondering whether or not I should get her a friend to breed with. It sure would be an experience, and now I know she can, I have a little more motivation to do so. Thanks for reading!

Here's a pic to prove it!

fionapics028.jpg

If you can't tell, they're the little round light green things. I count 6 or maybe 7 in the picture. I'm wondering if her pulling up her plants recently was in preperation for laying eggs. I know they have those breeder nets you can buy so eggs stick to them, is this Fiona's version of that? Could she have been making a little goldfish nest? Anyways there you go! :)

Edited by Bubbleboy

Eek! That's wonderful! keep us posted, now. eek! that's so great. lol

Thanks for the compliments everyone! Unfortunately since Fiona dosn't have a boyfriend to help with the eggs, they won't be hatching. But it's just exciting knowing she's ready to breed! :)

Whoo! Good for Fiona!!

If she ever wants a hubby, let me know and I'll mail all three of mine over there in a nice big envelope full of breathing holes. At least one of them is a boy. ;)

I might just have to take you up on that offer Minx....as long as the goldfish is semi-normal :) haha

That's awesome!! Hopefully you can get a male at some point and raise your own little ones. I know I was really excited when my guppy had babies (my first!) last August. She hasn't had anymore since then and I only have 1 baby left out of the 6 I found. He's doing good so far anyway. :)

Thanks Kristi and Snowbabe.

I'm just wondering what to do with them now. She's not really eating them, they're just sitting there. Do I leave them?

Also, how often can goldfish lay eggs?

I'm not sure about how often goldies lay eggs..... :idont

But you *definately* should take the eggs out. Unfertilized eggs make a perfect breeding ground for bacteria and fungus and all sorts of unpleasant things. You should be able to use your syphon to suck them out. And you can take out the plants and rinse them if they are super stick-ified (what, it's a real word! Prove me wrong!)

Ok. I'll take those eggs out pronto. I'm doing a water change today anyway, so it's two birds with one stone :D wooh! Yeah, some are looking rather fuzzy.....lol not so pleasant.

lol Fiona laid eggs a few days after the first session. I was like Jeeze Fiona we know you're a girl now! No need to stress the point haha. Must feel good to get all those dozens of eggs out of her system!

CONGRATS!!!!

Guest Aquarium guy
:D congrats bubble boy!!!!!!! wow, thats amazing, my other 2 fish were about to spawn because i saw turbercles on the male but then i treated them with medicine and BLA!!! so yea, take care of fiona well, shes in good hands. take care :P

well my Chikoo is still making eggs..I think this goes for quite sometime...I have reduced her diet considerably..its good to feed them a bit less...Imo (Trinket) brought to my attention tht underfed goldies will never make eggs...besides making eggs for a long time is stressful...so I hope like my Chikoo, Fiona also stops making more eggs.. :)

Haha I haven't seen any new eggs in the tank for a week or more so I think it's finally stopped.