Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lachfa

Pond Liners

Hey everyone - I'm an older memeber who has been gone for a while. I have two ponds and one has a major leak so we had to move everyone to the other pond and my hubby decided to tear the leaking one apart - I've got to stop leaving him home alone! Anyway he wants to make it bigger but I am not sure what to use for a liner. I have always used the heavy duty tarps and they last for years. If we make it bigger, the tarps won't work because I can't find them bigger than what I have used in the past. The largest liner Lowes carries is for a 13x20x18 and is $128. I might go this route, but I am not sure how big he wants to go. What have others used for their ponds?

Home Depot sells rubber liner. I would get one cut to fit. It should last near 20 years. I am hoping mine does anyhow. I just went through 2 PVC liner in the past years and it costs fish and lots of backaching work to keep fixixng.

Firestone PondGard 45 Mil EPDM Pond Liner is the best pond liner around & has a 25 year warranty.

It costs more than other cheaper ones, but you get what you pay for.

Sometimes, you can get great deals on it, on eBay.

It's heavy, so shipping cost is an issue.

Firestone PondGard 45 Mil EPDM Pond Liner is the best pond liner around & has a 25 year warranty.

Agreed.

After PondGard 45 Mil EDPM (IMHO) next best is 20 Mil Polyethylene Pond Liner.

It is about 1/2 the price of EDPM.

There is a guy (LinerPro) selling 20 Mil Polyethylene Pond Liners, right now on eBay with FREE SHIPPING (USA) only.

20 Mil Polyethylene Pond Liner is a bit stiff.

To overcome that, lay it out flat in the sun on a HOT day for an hour or 2 before moving it into place.

Heat makes it far more flexible, so you can contour it to your desired shape.

I would NEVER use any type PVC pond liner.

It gets brittle & cracks over time, causing leaks to spring out. :oops:

I couldnt be happier this build, with the epdm rubber liner. Now I can go years.............without worries.

The one and only possible problem is that I put 3 KOI in there. They have already doubled in size. I know they suggest 4' deep for KOI. I went 32" deep and hit hard clay bottom. I had to fight each scoop of clay off the shovel, what a job that was.

I have never seen my Goldfish so happy and playfull.