Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Petperson04

Ack! They All Died. :(

I had some anacharis in my tank, and I had them in small pots with the bottoms of the stems stuck down in between gravel/river rocks. They did well for a few days to a week, then turned brownish and went limp, and presumably died. Leaves and small sections of plant broke off after they turned brown. I took the brown ones out and threw them away. I thought that the cause could be that they were stuck down too far into the gravel, so I lifted the remaining plants up and set them on top of the gravel in the little pot. These aren't doing well now, either.

I thought that some of them might be doing OK because they had grown many little "roots" and sent out new growth, but eventually the bottom-half of the leaves would turn brown and limp, and eventually spread upwards.

I'm not using any fertilizer or plant food, and my light is a standard hood lamp (19 watts). It's a cycled 10 gallon tank with 3 guppies in it, and the tank is in the basement, so the plants don't get any sunlight or much other light except for the hood lamp.

So now most of my anacharis is gone, but I still really like the look of live plants, and want to keep some in this tank.

Any suggestions as to what I did wrong, what plants to buy to re-decorate, and how to properly care for them? Much appreciated!

Thank you for the link! It's very helpful.

So it appears I need a higher wattage bulb... probably need to upgrade to at least a 40 watt.

What about fertilizers? I'm probably going to choose from java fern, java moss, anacharis, or anubias.

So it appears I need a higher wattage bulb... probably need to upgrade to at least a 40 watt....I'm probably going to choose from java fern, java moss, anacharis, or anubias.

Or, as I'm doing a little more research on these plants, a 30 watt bulb.

Those plants dont really need it...the Java and the Anubias plants. The Anubias doesnt need much light, I have had them for years, there great. Goldfish wont eat them much and they will flower too :)

Oh, okay...

So java fern, java moss, and anubias would all do alright with my 19 watt bulb? That's good news! :) I was worried about finding a bulb that had enough wattage but would still fit in my fixture. I guess I'll just scratch the anacharis.

What about fertilizers? From what I have read, java moss shouldn't need it, but what about the other two plants? I'd like to have a variety of plants.

And if these plants do need fertilizer, what kind would you reccommend?

It sounds like it is the lighting like Koko mentioned. Since the plants sent out roots, it would indicate there are adequate nutrients (fertilizer) already present in the water column. If the bulb is older, it may not be putting out the same amount of light that it once did. Also, if the gravel/substrate has gone anerobic, that could be what is killing the plants. A good, thorough cleaning should take care of that.

Well, yesterday I went to the pet store and got two bunches of java fern and an anubias plant! :) I tied one fern and the anubias to an ornament, and the other fern to a modified miniature fake palm tree (The 'trunk' of the tree is a small plastic rod and has a suction cup on the bottom to hold it down, and I took off the little green top). Hopefully these plants do better in 1.9 watts per gallon.

One last question: Do the roots of these plants need to be covered/buried in substrate? Because right now I have the roots exposed, above gravel.

There is two roots on them...There is the big green tubular one just off the stems, this doesnt get covered at all with gravel the small longer roots can be, but the plant will take hold in time by its self. :)