Sign in to follow this  
Guest Merlin

? Is It Big Enough

14 posts in this topic

Guest Merlin

Hi, I'm new on here but have been keeping tropical fish for quite a few years, even breeding Bettas for a time, so I'm not new to fishkeeping.

I've developed rather crippling arthritis and have had to downsize, and have gotten rid of all my tanks except a 20 litre Arcadia Arc which was home until last week to my final Betta. Sadly he died, and at the moment I have a neighbours Platty 'tank sitting' until I decide what to do with the tank.

Now I have had an urge for some time to try Gold Fish and really like the look of some of them, now I know 5 gallons isn't very big, but would it be big enough for a single small Oranda? I may be able to upgrade in a year or two but will never be able to keep more than a 10 gallon max. because of the water changes.

I'd appreciate your opinions

That would not be big enough for a small oranda sorry. They can get big and if kept in a small tank will have stunted growth. Hopefully others will give you better advice.

Unfortunately, no. Oranda's, as well as most Goldfish, get very big. My Tuck is now pushing nine inches and may or may not be done growing. He is only about 2 years old. You would need at least a 10 gallon tank to start and would need to upgrade to a 20 within just a few months if you want a healthy fish that will not end up stunted and sickly. I have seen Oranda's that were over 10 inches long and they have a lot of bulk as well.

I have exactly that tank which I used for a Comet which sadly died when I started letting fish live in my house, within 2-3 months I could see he was getting too big for that tank.

Edited by stalepriest

:welcome

That tank would be big enough for about two months, if that. Goldfish are big and dirty. The full size of an adult fancy is at least ten inches. If you put him in that tank you would have to do water changes probably twice a day or more to keep the water quality good. Even then you would have to upgrade after a few months. If you really want to keep an oranda, I suggest getting a 15 gallon tank from the get go and you will be off to a better start.

I wish I could reply more in depth but I'm on my boyfriends iPhone and it is driving me crazy!

Look around the forum, there is a lot of information on here! I look forward to seeing you around the boards.

Hello and welcome.

When it comes to goldfish the bigger the aquarium the better.

Is the water changes the only thing that's preventing you from wanting a larger tank?

If you would like a larger tank and have the money and space for it. But just don't want to carry buckets for the water changes you could get a "Python" syphon. With a "Python" you can syphon out the water without buckets. Then when you want to refill the tank you just hook the Python onto the faucet (add conditioner directly in the tank) turn on the water and let the python fill it up. Eliminating the need for buckets.

I would not even try to put a goldfish in that tank not even for a couple months. You would have to do LOTS of water changes.

You can't go wrong with a python. I have had one for about 10 years now and don't know how I would ever do without and have my big tanks.

Welcome to Koko's and Good luck.

Guest Merlin

Thanks for all your replies, what a nice forum :hoho

I guess I'm going to have to rethink my plans, I was remembering my sister and myself winning two goldfish when we were children, and putting them in a bowl, hers died within the week but mine lived for about 5 years, unfiltered and no dechlorination, he did grow quite big, and my mother used to put the bowl under the tap every day to freshen up the water, letting the cold water run over the top. :badidea It was my job to take him out of his bowl on a Saturday and clean the bowl properly. I wonder how long he'd have lived in a good environment.

Anyhow, I'm afraid a python system is out of the question due to where the tank would have to go and too many corners and rooms to the nearest tap, but thanks for the suggestions.

I'll read up more on the site and see what's best. Pity I can't use the tank, its such a nice little tank as well. :iwill

My python works around corners. lol I can use it on the fish tanks in the bed room without any problems. I have a 50 foot one but I think you can get up to 100 foot.

There are things that will do fine in a 5g that aren't goldfish but very fun and interesting. You could make it into a dwarf puffer or african dwarf frog tank. Dwarf puffers are ridiculously cute and entertaining. One would fit well into that tank. I used to have one but can't get them around here anymore :( African dwarf frogs are fun too. I have a 5g with 3 in it and they're always arranging themselves into hilarious little piles or standing up on the tips of their back feet so they can stare at me through the side of the tank. I have to admit that in a fire I'd probably grab the goldfish first, but I enjoy my little tank guys too.

You can always get two Pythons and connect them. I used to have my own and one that my mom's boyfriend's mom used to have. I just cleaned the used one with bleach water and put the extra pieces in storage. I had I think 50 feet of Python. Buying two new ones would be kind of pricey, though.

Guest Merlin

That's what I was thinking, it's all a bit expensive for one little (or not so little) goldfish :idont

However, I've got a BiOrb stand in my loft that I could put in the room next to my kitchen and I could probably manage the water changes if I bought a tank to stand on that. Now would a BiOrb be a suitable home for an Oranda? or maybe a Ranchu that I'm beginning to fall in love with. The shape of them is something else, I just love the little round backs and as Ranchu don't grow as big as Oranda would I be able to put one in a BiOrb? :unsure:

Unfortunalty Biorbs aren't great for goldfish, the filter isn't really good enough to deal with the amount of waste even one goldfish makes, plus due to the shape of them they have smallish surface areas which also isn't ideal.

I had the largest 60 litre version and now my goldfish who were moved to a larger tank after just a few months would easily touch the outside with the tails against the bubble tube :( and that one I have only had for a year.

To be honest if you are going to struggle with water changes you would be better with another fish as goldies require lots of large weekly water changes to keep even larger tanks clean as they produccce so much waste.

I have had dwarf puffers and they are great little characters but also due to there rich diet are pretty messy but a few in your arc tank would probably be ok.

Edited by hpsauce

Dwarf Puffers are indeed great! :D

I have 5 in a 60L biorb and agree that 1 or 2 in your 10 gallon tank would be good :D Mind you, 50% weekly water changes are the norm for these little fish so maybe you would struggle a bit still?