Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OldHag

Culling Fry

This batch of fry are so many, and many of them have crooked backs and/or curled gills. I will have to cull a few of them, since I can't sell deformed fish. And I have to sell most of my fry, since I can't keep all of them.

Apart from the most obvious, what would I look for? These are common fry, single tails, some of them are calicos, hatched in october!

Ok, I put down three today, the big one with a curled gill, and 2 smaller ones with deformed backs...

The smell of Christmas in my fish room, the smell of death...

I am sorry. It hurts to cull..... but those little fish would never have had a chance. As time went on, they would not be able to compete - either with other fish or with the ever present virus/bacteria assault on their diminished immunities, or with opportunisitic parasites.

When culling, look for fish that will not make successful adults. If you are not looking for a specific "show feature", all you have to select for is strength and viability.

Thanks. Yes I cannot look at them when they swim in the clove oil.But they went fast.

I have a few with crooked tails left, but I will wait. They look good otherwise.

I guess I have 10 left, a few looks really good.

Here is one:

Picture1809.jpg

And here is Bamse, the huge one. Looks good!

Picture1728.jpg

Those two are very cute :)

I agree with Daryl, don't feel too bad about culling. I know I would be the exact same, but fish lay so many eggs because only the most fit will survive - they just aren't all cut out to make it to adulthood. You're just speeding up what nature would do with a little more time.

you are a good fish keeper, culling is hard but I think its harder looking at a fish with a bent back and knowing that he is probably struggling everyday in everyway

Exactly. I can't look at suffering fish...

:D anette your healthy fry look wonderful!

*hugz* i've never had to cull or euthanize a fish so far, but i can imagine it would be a horribly difficult decision since the lives of our little ones are in our hands.

we are their keepers of life and health, so it would be difficult to be the judge of whether or not a life should be taken away.

but like everyone else said, in nature, not all fish would make it...

when our fish spawn, there is no way for the weaker of the fish to be eaten by predators and such,

so compared to survival 'out there' they've had a wonderful existence with you with no worries about hunger or predators. ;)

Your babies are adorable! Never had to put a fish down either, but I imagine its tough! Hugs indeed.

Curious about the 'curled gills' -- what does that look like?

Ive only had to put down one before as i only had a small batch of fry, but yeh, is not very plesant. I am also curious about what you mean by 'curled gills' some of mine jus had deformed backs :( two that you have look very cute :)

can't goldies survive fine with slightly curled gills??

Of course they can, but I can't sell fish, deformed in any way, to my LFS. He won't be able to sell them...

and I can't keep all deformed fish by myself...

By the way, only 2 fry are left now, the big one Bamse and a smaller calico with only a tiny kink on the back...

I hope the last of them do well!!

I suppose in some ways, I am fortunate that my goldies have not spawned. I do not think I would have the strength that you do to be able to cull fry that wouldn't make it. Good luck on the last 2, I know they will grow up big and strong.