Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  

So Strange

Why isn't my goldfish not growing, I swear they look the same, and I keep the water in good condition, I change 20% ...sometime like 10% each weeks, and i fed it all kind of good food, from flakes, pellets, to dry blood worms, to frozen blood worms and brine shrimps, they aren't growing...-___-" this is making me sad, like seeing your own children not growing ...haha maybe that's not a good example but I'm start to get worry. The tank is 55 gallon and I have 1 fantail, 1 ryukin, 1 oranda, and 1 sarasa. I dont think it's over crowded .....hmmmm

lol oh and in the summer i'm planning to take them outside to see the sun, going to buy a big kiddie pool and use that as a mini outdoor above ground pond haha....should be fun.....and i'm dying here, we have a 50,000 i thing above ground pool, and I wanted to use it as a goldfish pond, but mom wouldnt let me, she want it to be remove wahhhhh

How long have you had them for? And I would increase the water changes. 10 to 25% isn't very much at all, and if you want to see fast growth, you should do big water changes (like 50%), very often. Apparently pristine water works wonders for the fish!

How long have you had them for? And I would increase the water changes. 10 to 25% isn't very much at all, and if you want to see fast growth, you should do big water changes (like 50%), very often. Apparently pristine water works wonders for the fish!

well i got them for a while already...not sure..maybe a year? depend on which one you are talking about haha. The Fantail is a dropsy survivor so is the tiny Sarasa.

Lol I am still scared of big amount of water changes, the last time I did 50% water changes, it shocked my fish so much they all almost died haha......even tho I did put conditioner and everything, i mean even 10% of water changes can harm them without conditioners, even tho i put conditioner in everytime i have water changes. S

Shameful to say that I do not have a lot of time as I use to, on weekdays, school, home is homework and projects, Sat and Sun. 8 in the morning I go to temple and wont return home like very late, sometime I haven't come home yet and it's 10 pm! But I try not to let that be an excuse to not taking care of my fish haha

Hmmm, large water changes shouldn't shock fish so badly they die, unless the temperature and pH of the new water is very different from the water in the tank....I did 50% water changes twice a day on my 5.5 gallon when I was waiting for my 35 gallon to cycle, and my little ranchu did very well with that.

Can you test the water in the tank and the water from the tap to see if the pH is different?

Large water changes like 50% shouldn't shock your fish much unless:

1. Your pH of your water and tap water a drasticly different, and large water changes severly alter your fish's pH.

2. The temperature of the water you add is sufficently greater/less than the water in your tank.

I advise you to take pH readings of both tank water and tap water and see what they are. This can sometimes help.

Also, it dosn't hurt to leave water out overnight or for a few hours to let it sit while adjusting to room temperature and also dechlorinating it's self automaticly.

Just a few things to try when attempting large water changes. Try to do more than 25% a week though. That's not much for all the goldies you've got in that tank. Especially with the sarassa's and other large goldfish.

This is good advice, Chubby.

10% just isn't enough to clear the growth inhibiting hormone (or nitrates) which will be building up in the water. You will also be allowing the bacterial count to escalate which can easily lead to bacterial infections.

Wny don't you post back with all your readings for today. Take the tap PH, too, as Bubbleboy has suggested.

lol the water is good, I dont have money to buy a whole bunch of filtered water for water changes, so I do use Tab water, Tab water pH is 8.3 while my normal tank pH is about 7.

You don't need filtered water as it generally has too little alkalinity, so don't worry about that. Tap is fine as it has all the right minerals, providing you dechlorinate it.

There is a large gap between the PH of your tap and your tank. This would lead me to believe that you have a highish nitrate. Nitrate is acidic, so when you get too much it pulls the PH down.

You should use the nitrate reading as a guide to when to change water and how much - once it reaches 20, you need to make a change. Try to aim for 50% changes rather than 10/20%

Can you tell us your readings today for nitrate, nitrite and ammonia, too? It will give a good indication of how things are.