Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shamu23

Woah, Whats This?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? havent tested since we just got back, but its always been 12.5 (i think cuz thats the lowest reading on my test kit)

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.8-8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? same

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API, hagen, tetra

[*]Water temperature? was 66 now is 69

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125g, since around last xmas, almost a year now!!

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 2xaquaclear 110, aquatech 5-15, rena filstar xP2

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? usually once a week 20%, sometimes every 2 weeks when i cant get it done, but only if water quality will allow it, which usually it does but i try to get it done every week and usually do

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 single tailed fish, 1 oranda, all between 2 and 3.5 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime, flourish

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? lots of stuff, twice a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? nope

[*]Any medications added to the tank?nope

We got back from Arizona yesterday!! All my fish r doing great except 2 things. First, someone turned off the heat so most of my tanks except 2 heated tropical tanks dropped from 76 to 66 degrees. Poor fishies looked so cold and my poor hammie is sick cuz his cage is on the floor, I really hope he gets better! Also, Chinook my Shubunkin has these weird white areas all over his fins. He's not acting any different but it just looks weird, could it b cuz of the sudden drop in temperature? It looks sorta like the white spots here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=73906

not 100% exactly like that poor fish, but it does look kinda like that. Its only on the fins and not in bigger areas, they're all perfect little circles, about 3-5 mm in diameter, and they're raised a tiny bit on the tail.

Edited by Shamu23

It's hard to say exactly without pictures Shamu. But 3~5mm (are you sure?) is rather large for ich. Ich cysts are usually under 2mm at their largest and most usually only 1mm.

Although the sudden drop in temp is a typical ich attraction.

White spots can also be fungal or they can just be an indication that water quality has slipped and the fish is struggling to fight off infection. Often co-incides with high nitrates or filter probs (media needs rinsing). These kind white spots often turn pink soon after as infection and bacteria get hold if the water is not corrected. Hopefully now you are home this is as far as things will get.

Would love to see a pic.

Meanwhile get your nitrates down with several temperature and pH matched water changes till you can test them. And rinse your filter media.

Sounds like Ich to me......Huge temperature changes can cause ich......

Does it look like this? http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Ich.html People often describe ich as looking like grains of salt.....

no its defianently not ich

It's hard to say exactly without pictures Shamu. But 3~5mm (are you sure?) is rather large for ich. Ich cysts are usually under 2mm at their largest and most usually only 1mm.

Although the sudden drop in temp is a typical ich attraction.

White spots can also be fungal or they can just be an indication that water quality has slipped and the fish is struggling to fight off infection. Often co-incides with high nitrates or filter probs (media needs rinsing). These kind white spots often turn pink soon after as infection and bacteria get hold if the water is not corrected. Hopefully now you are home this is as far as things will get.

Would love to see a pic.

Meanwhile get your nitrates down with several temperature and pH matched water changes till you can test them. And rinse your filter media.

i will try to get a pic, and yup they are turning pinkish, will do waterchange and clean filters tomorrow! Poor baby, I hope he'll b ok. I will test for nitrates tomorrow too, but everything else is looking A ok!

Okee. If they turned pink= bacterial infection. Waiting on updates.

should i do anything else about it? Im gonna do the waterchange once I get home later, he's bottom sitting a little now but Im not sure if thats because of the white spots cuz he's always kinda done that a little.

oooh I'm so sorry Shamu! I hope it will recovers :( I hope someone can come by and help you out soon.

CG

Yikes. If they're turning pink, that's a sign of a bacterial infection. Maybe be on the lookout for some good meds to take care of that...In the meantime, I'd keep up the water changes and keep the temperature constant. Good luck!

the temperature is back to normals and I did a waterchange. When I got home yesterday the spots had turned white again. Is that a good sign? He was moving around more this morning.

:krazy: ok so he's feeling much better and the white spots are almost gone but now it looks like his eyes are sticking out the slightest bit!! I started them on medicated food today, it doesnt look too bad right now so hopefully i got it in time!!!

good news! He's doing much better today and its almost gone!!