Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
maenterprise

Metro Med

Lately, one of my fish showed sign of a hole in the head disease. I do not have a hospital tank, so I decided to feed all the Healthy goldfish and the one Unhealthy fish Medicated Food brand Metro Med. Can the food harm the Healthy Goldfish in the tank?

The metromeds will not harm the healthy fish. The downside is that if they ever need the meds in the near future, it may not work for them due to the built up immunity.

Since you started them all on metromeds, you must remain on this regimen and feed them all exclusively metromeds for the 14-30 days.

Do you have any pics? I have not seen HITH on goldfish before. I have seen things that look very similar on the wens a few times, but these are usually bacterial or fungal infections and the ultimate cause was water quality.

There is a very good article in my blog on HITH and HLLE that anyone who thinks their fish may have it or has species prone to it should check out.

Good god, that looks awful!! I've also not seen HITH on goldies before; I've only ever read of it occurring on cichlids....

I hope they get better real soon...

Well, from the picture it does look like whole in the head, and no the metro med will not harm the healthy fish in anyway, but as the label instructed that it should not be fed on daily basic because then later on the medicine will not works when you really need it, so I guess you are using it as a prevention, probably no more than 14 days in feeding, I think it will be fine. I hope your fish will get better soon :)

CG

Do you have any pics? I have not seen HITH on goldfish before. I have seen things that look very similar on the wens a few times, but these are usually bacterial or fungal infections and the ultimate cause was water quality.

There is a very good article in my blog on HITH and HLLE that anyone who thinks their fish may have it or has species prone to it should check out.

That looks like an ulcer, bacterial, or fungal infection that happens to be on the head, it is not HITH.

Listen, I don't mean to sound mean or anything, but did you not just contradict yourself there? If you have never seen hole in the head, how can you diagnose it properly?

I said I had not seen it on goldfish and said I had seen things that looked similar but were really bacterial and/or fungal.

Then they posted a pic.

The pic happens to look exactly like those other cases that were bacterial and/or fungal.

I have seen lots of cases of HITH and HLLE in many species and have never even heard of it in goldfish. This does not look like any case of HITH or HLLE I have ever seen. This looks exactly like the bacterial and/or fungal infections which happen to be very typical in goldfish (also making it much more likely than being the first case or one of very few cases of HITH or HLLE in goldfish).

Edited by koko

I'd like to back up and ask maenterprise to provide more information about the fish, tank, water, set-up, etc. Beyond treating for this particular condition - be it parasitic, fungal or bacterial - there may be an environmental cause or trigger that needs to be addressed. And for meds to have a positive effect, the tank and water should be pristine.

Can you try to answer as many questions from the white box as possible?

Also, how is the fish doing? It's been a few days since your original post...

Definitely. Medications and treatment may cure it this time, but if there is a bigger cause (something wrong with the water) it will just come back, or something else will take its place. High water quality and high quality food are essential for recovery and prevention of disease.

Hi Maenterprise. I have just noticed several threads posted by you which all relate to the same problem - I will try to merge them all so that we can keep all the important details together.

In order to help you properly you will need to post back on the same thread and follow up by answering any questions, so that we can get the best picture of your tank environment.

With any disease we must always begin with water quality as this is fundamental to fish health. Could any member helping in the Disease sections refrain from giving advice on treatment until this info is available, please?

Here is a post I have copied from your other thread with details of your tank set-up.

[*]Ammonia Level? I am an amateur and don't know have no test kit

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature? 76-80 F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 Gal

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Emperor, not sure the size

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? once every two week, 70% WC

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 11

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Salt and Conditioner (Tetra Brand - EasyBalance for nitrate Reduction)

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? use to be once a week pellet from Tetra

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Past month about 7 fishes

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? some on white fishes. Which?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Only the white facy fish

Right away we can see some obvious difficulties which will need addressing in order to help your fish.

Water Quality

1) The tank is very overstocked. - There are 11 fish in only enough space for 5. This is very stressfull for them and the bacterial count will be high. Can you get another tub/tank and split them up?

2) You have not been able to test the water as you don't have a test kit. - Knowing your water chemistry is basic to protecting your fish. Did you get hold of a kit yet? When adding fish (particularly 7 at a time) the bio-filter has to grow to accommodate their increased waste output; until this has happened there is insufficient bacteria to do so and the chances of toxic ammonia and nitrite are high.

3) You have only been changing water every 2 weeks. - Water changing should be carried out weekly in a properly stocked and cycled tank. In an overstocked tank it must be much more often. Ammonia and nitrite must be at zero and nitrates should be kept below 20ppm. Let the water results be the guide to how much water needs changing.

Additives

1) You do not appear to have a chlorine remover. :o - Untreated tap water contains chlorine and often chloramine which can kill fish. Easy balance is not a dechlorinator and is in fact an unnecessary product for you right now. Prime (Seachem) would be better. It not only dechlorinates but also helps in detoxifying some ammonia and nitrite during cycling or adding new fish.

2) Salt. - Goldfish are freshwater fish and do not require salt as a regular additive. Salt should only be used as a treatment tool in killing parasites or in helping with nitrites. How much salt have you been using?

3) I understand you have started Metro-meds. The important thing to understand is that medicine will not be helpful if your water quality is poor. Now that you've started, the meds course must be finished and no other food offered during treatment.

Before going any further it's really important for you to give us the following information:

Your water readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH of tank and tap? These should be taken before a water change. I suggest a large change once you've done so.

The size of your filter? - check the box. (The turn over you require for a 55g is 550 gals per hour)

Can you follow up as soon as you have a chance? Sorry for looooong post but there is a lot to sort out here :) Let's hope we can help turn things around for you. Please read the links below my signature as they will help you understand the needs of your fish.

Other members should not add posts until this info is up, please.