Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

Sexing Goldfish

I feel like such a dummy because I cannot for the life of me tell the sex of my goldies!! Every now & then I pull my chair over to the tank DETERMINED to tell who is what......only to put the chair back totally frustrated!!

So help me out here! I am spending my afternoon looking at the north end of every south bound goldie I can find. I see on each a rather GAPING "V" shaped hole (where the you -know-what comes out :blink: ) So if that V shaped hole is a HOLE (innie) the fish is male? But on a female there would be no gaping v-shaped hole? There would be a protruding "button" if it where female?

I NEED GOLDFISH SEXING FOR DUMMIES!!! Please straighten me out once & for all!! :krazy:

Only way I can tell is behavior or/and breeding stars on males. Star spewed eggs so Im 100% sure that is a girl. Mongo chased her all over the place so think he is a boy but no stars yet. Moon I think is a girl no stars but never seen eggs come out of her yet either.

Yep, you got it! A "button" means you have a girl and a "gaping hole" :lol means you got a boy!

I know there is a geocities site somewhere floating around that has illustrations....let me see if I can find it.....

here it is!!!

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4468/fishsex.html

Hopefully this works! Now get your chair back out and look at some fishie butt!! :5: :goldfish:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=18264

i learn all bout gf from up there.hope it will help u too.

but again to identify male is easy.u can look for the breeding star n doinh hand spanwing if milf come out then it`s a male.n if some how a gf develope egg dan its a gal.

Wanted to ask, can goldfish be tomboys? I looked at Harry's anus, and I am pretty sure I saw a "button", yet I have seen him sniffing at Luna's anus.

Don't worry!i kno its really hard figuring out but with the advice i think u can get it.i kno that one of my fish is a male but have no clue with the others......

Took another close look at the anuses.

Harry - Mostly white with a little bit of red, a "button" appears to be present.

Luna - Mostly appears to be red.

this is something I have had a tough time with however I think I have figured my ryukin and fantail out. The ryukin has no interest in the other 2 and never does belly fly bys or anything so I thought might be female but I have a tough time sexing as well. I do know the fantail is male cause I have seen the spots on his gills for when he is "in the mood" the black moor I have no idea what but named it Omor tough name if he's a gal. Plus my moor lots of personality and is fun but I think god shorted the poor fella on brains so I'm not so sure he would no what to do if one of the fish propositioned him. 22 he shows most interest in my hand cause he likes to be hand fed so I gave up long ago.

Ok so I'm a tool after reading that link that was posted a sat their with a laptop in front of my tank and watched my fish for 25 minutes figuring it out comparing all of the info. I'm stuck with 3 dudes they so need a chic in there. Very disappointed that maybe hsif is falling in love for another man but I guess its like jail.

maybe hsif is falling in love for another man but I guess its like jail.

Maybe it's like jail! omg! lmao

I think there is a social interaction micro study to be done here about our fish and their tendencies regarding their environments. I got 3 dudes in one aquarium does that encourage risk taking poor decision making and falic comparisons? Does a larger tank encourage individualism? Do crowded tanks spawn gang warfare and fighting....... oh wait that is just taking this thread out on another tangent.

buttons seem pretty clear so I'd say harry is a luna sorry bob but I think the chic wears the pants in your tank. On the bright side I have the worst episode from 'OZ' going on in my tank. I'm getting those men a woman this weekend.

But if Harry is actually Ginny (and for that matter Luna is actually Albus), then how come I see her sniffing at Albus' anus? I thought only boys did that. (I actually saw her doing it earlier today, as well as Albus showing interest in Ginny, as he often does.)

You could actually have two boys. A lot of times boys will poke at anything that looks like it could be round and full of eggs. They aren't exactly the smartest animals, you know?

Also, when I added my female (outtie) ryukin into my main tank gave my big male (breeding stars) ryukin a "dogs hello" if you catch my drift. It stopped after a while, but sometimes I think our goldies get confused......

You could actually have two boys. A lot of times boys will poke at anything that looks like it could be round and full of eggs. They aren't exactly the smartest animals, you know?

Also, when I added my female (outtie) ryukin into my main tank gave my big male (breeding stars) ryukin a "dogs hello" if you catch my drift. It stopped after a while, but sometimes I think our goldies get confused......

lol as a man I will second the boys aren't the smartest comment. Fish have a tough time telling gender I think cause as I said either the boys in my tank like boys (they always giving each other the old how she doing) or they just can't figure it out. At least us human mean are only stupid enough to chase girls way out of our leagues.

I think we already determined the Harry is actually Ginny because of the "button" in her anus.

Did some more reading and apparently from what I have read none of these methods are 100% fool proof sorry