Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Saitama Sachie

What Do I Do In Case Of Another Fire And Evacuation?

Guest Saitama Sachie

So my housing district was evacuated on Monday because of the brush fires and I wasn't home. My hubby packed up all our valuables and shut all the windows and I met up with him at his Sergeant's house. Unfortunately my fish were left home and my husband didn't do any extra precautions for them. I actually saw my housing district from a block away and saw the thickest amount of smoke going through the neighborhood. It was total chaos. There were people walking their horses from the stable down the street with no where to go because the owners couldn't get to their trailers, the poor horses looked so agitated and scared. I thought for sure that my fish were dead because the smoke was probably getting in the house and into the filter. But I came home yesterday evening to find all my goldies alive and happy to see me! So I am just wondering for future reference what should I do if there is a fire and we have to be evacuated? Had I been home I would have thrown blankets over the tanks and maybe turned the filters off. I even joked to my husband that he should have grabbed Henry in a plastic baggie and we could have put him in Sergeant's giant tank with a bunch of commons, lol.

This may sound insensitive, but if it's an emergency don't risk your own lives to save your fish..

but yeah if you can, definately turn off/unplug filters and lights (if you are throwing a blanket over you don't want that to catch fire!) and if you have time and know somewhere you can put the fish, just net them into a bucket or something and take them with you.. but if the risk is low, I'd just leave them there, it'd be less stressful for them, even though you might worry more.

Usually these alarms are just a precaution.

Edited by x-Lucy-Fish-x

I know that you can get battery-powered air filters, and it's possible (somehow) to make jacked-up filters that run on batteries too, so you might want to look into that if you think you'll only be out of your house for a battery-length period of time.

Otherwise, I know there are people on the board here who have had to evacuate due to things like hurricanes, and I'm sure they'd have better ideas about long-term care.

(I suppose the Sergeant wouldn't be up to you keeping a spare tank over at his place? ;) )

Guest Saitama Sachie

We had a good deal of time to evacuate, my husband managed to get all my formal dresses out into the car before he had to leave, lol. So we weren't in immediate danger, it was the air quality they were worried about at first. After we left is when the fire came closer (I can look outside my window and see the charred, black earth in the valley across the street). I was just wondering what I could do at home, whether I should unplug my filter or leave it on. Or if I should cover my tank or not, I thought of that because when we had to get the kitchen sprayed for ants they told us to unplug our filters and cover the tanks. I'm really surprised that my fish did make it through the fires because my house wreaks like a smoker's house. I had to buy carpet fresh and used half a bottle of fabric freshener to get it smell semi decent again.