Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
maddy1997

Goldfish 15 Gallon Tank

Is 15 gallosn big enough for one 3 inch fantail and one 2 inch fantail? I know it should be 20 but how long will it take them to outgrow their tank? they have both grown about 1 inch in one-two months

It is big enough for one to live in. It would only be big enough for two for about 2 or maybe three months with 2 water changes a week and 150 gph filter.

It is big enough for one to live in. It would only be big enough for two for about 2 or maybe three months with 2 water changes a week and 150 gph filter.

When my goldfish gets to about 4 icnhes I will upgrade

you could look up on criagslist to find a used tank

they have lots of good deals.

you would also have to clean them out good

good luck with the upgrade :D

Edited by FishCrazy

You could also for less then the cost of a 15 gallon get a rubber maid that is already the right size and save some money to go towards a proper size tank.

it will be a long time till I upgrade until they are maybe 5-6 inches

when they get that big they wouldn't be able to swim much

I had my guys in a 15 gallon for a while and it was hard to look at they didn't have much room.

but

if you half too i would increase your gph by getting a new filter.

when they get that big they wouldn't be able to swim much

I had my guys in a 15 gallon for a while and it was hard to look at they didn't have much room.

but

if you half too i would increase your gph by getting a new filter.

but my goldfish will live fine in there for a year or two right?

I think you'll probably have a lot of issues with nitrates, which can cause problems with swim bladders, among other things. Try checking your local for sale ad5/craiglist, you wouldn't believe how cheap it can be to find an aquarium on there :)

A nice 30 gallon would be good for them for a couple of years

I think you'll probably have a lot of issues with nitrates, which can cause problems with swim bladders, among other things. Try checking your local for sale ad5/craiglist, you wouldn't believe how cheap it can be to find an aquarium on there :)

A nice 30 gallon would be good for them for a couple of years

but I will keep the tank clean and clean it once a week same with my betta. Waht I have done seems to be working

If you really can't get another tank, I'd take the suggestions made by others and get an extra filter. It can make a huge difference, especially as your fish grow and produce more waste.

If you really can't get another tank, I'd take the suggestions made by others and get an extra filter. It can make a huge difference, especially as your fish grow and produce more waste.

I am not able too if I can make a homemade one I will if I have thr right stuff to do it with

Guest emilyt

or you could buy a storage bin like one at wall mart or something, just until you find something bigger. i know they can come in pretty big sizes! i would wash it out (no soap of course) a couple of times.

Edited by emilyt

Your fish won't get to 5-6" in 15 gallons. I had two goldfish in a 15G for two years and they grew from about 1" to 2-3" but just stopped there.

No they can not stay in there a year or two it well stunt them and cause them to live much much shorter lives. If you can't get a rubber maid or a bigger tank for that long the kind thing to do for your pets is to find a new home for one of them or return it to the store.

you could get another tank 10 gallons from the store i've seen them for 8 bucks.

http://www.videojug.com/film/fishkeeping-t...f-the-fish-tank how big do you think the fish tank here is? I think that my gf are fine cuz gfs are mostly all all tail and I know they have a lot of waste. but if you take out their tail (which does not count) they are only like one inch or less than that

No they can not stay in there a year or two it well stunt them and cause them to live much much shorter lives. If you can't get a rubber maid or a bigger tank for that long the kind thing to do for your pets is to find a new home for one of them or return it to the store.

On this video this guy have big 8 inch feeder fish and has had them for 5 years in a 15 gallon tank I know it is way too small but they have lived

Just cause that guy did it does not make it right. Five years is only about half of a goldfish's life. They can and well if given the proper care live up to 10 years.

Your fish are living in their waste and when you cramp them up they are living in a much stronger dose of their own waste.

Even your own sig says what we are telling you.

But unfortantly it seems you have made up your mind. I learned the hard way about goldfish needing lots of gallons each but only cause I did not have this wonderful place to go to for me to learn the proper care of goldfish.

Goldfish have been kept by man for thousands of years. It is true that for many people a common cultural icon was the "goldfish bowl" - a small round bowl that had one or two little commons or comets swimming around in it. These fish would live, for the most part, for a month or two and then die. Some did better. BUt the majority did not.

There are plenty of stories - most of them true - about fish that have lived for years in small water volumes. If you were to stuff a puppy in a 2X2foot cage or a human child in a 5X5 foot room, they might live. The same goes for the fish. So much depends on what else is going on in the environment. If there are no parasites, no diseases, no extraneous stresses other than the room, many WILL live. If you assume that there are easily a million little fish in bowls .... finding one that will live may not be so hard. Crying for the 999999that do not is also a fact.

When you have fish in very small volumes of water, multiple things happen. As the fish live and breathe in the water, they let off waste. If you control the waste with a biological filter and water changes, you can keep the water parameters under control for the most part. But it is not an easy thing - and, I can tell you right now - not something you can do once a week. (I have 4 in a 15 gallon tub right now. They are 2 inches total (tails included) and they require 80% water changes every 3 days and careful monitoring. They are scheduled to be shipped to a friend - and will have the proper volume there.) Several other, less visiable, factors come into play when dealing with small volumes, too. Fish let out a growth hormone suppressant. As this builds up in the water, the fish slow and stop growing. They become "stunted" - a permanent condition that is eventually deadly to all of the fish.

Any time a fish is in small volumes of water, they may do ok, but if a parasite or a simple disease comes along, the fish have no immunity reserves to fight it. They die. In a large volume of water, you may have days or weeks to respond to a problem. In a small volume of water, the fish may die before you ever even know something is wrong. It is also very very difficult to cure in a small volumes - the stress is simply too great. Many parasites do not kill - they just "stunt" - something else to keep in mind. In a stressed fish, they stunt and kill more often.

Goldfish are not small fish. They are LARGE fish. Yup - they start out small, and will die small if they run into problems or lack their needs being meant. But they are LARGE fish. Just as you cannot stuff a baby shark into a bathtub and expect it to grow into a 15 foot specimin, you cannot put goldfish into cramped quarters and expect them to grow and thrive.

IF you wish your fish to grow to their potential, have a chance at throwing off parasites and disease, and to live a full life, they need more volume of water.

The "10 gallon rule" is actually the bare minimum. I would never dream of attempting to keep a single adult goldie in 10 gallons - and would never consider keeping even small fish in 15 for very long. They will not grow. If I were to attempt to keep those 4 fry in my 15 for much longer, they would lose growth time and become less healthy. They would no longer have the potential to be show winners or good breeders. They need every day, every hour for growing healthy and stroing. I am not willing to force them to spend any more time of their lives sitting "stagnant", waiting for their needs to be meant.

Your fish may not ever reach that magical 4 inch mark. It may be because they were cramped from day one - being produced by a volume breeder for the mass market or it may be because they have not received the volume in your care. It may be because of genetics, too - or a combination of all factors - disease and parasites included.

I would suggest that you read a bit more about these creatures that you have in your care. Keep an open mind - and I think you will be IMPRESSED at just how large, healthy and AMAZINGING beautiful these fish can be, given the proper care and a bit of luck.

Goldfish have been kept by man for thousands of years. It is true that for many people a common cultural icon was the "goldfish bowl" - a small round bowl that had one or two little commons or comets swimming around in it. These fish would live, for the most part, for a month or two and then die. Some did better. BUt the majority did not.

There are plenty of stories - most of them true - about fish that have lived for years in small water volumes. If you were to stuff a puppy in a 2X2foot cage or a human child in a 5X5 foot room, they might live. The same goes for the fish. So much depends on what else is going on in the environment. If there are no parasites, no diseases, no extraneous stresses other than the room, many WILL live. If you assume that there are easily a million little fish in bowls .... finding one that will live may not be so hard. Crying for the 999999that do not is also a fact.

When you have fish in very small volumes of water, multiple things happen. As the fish live and breathe in the water, they let off waste. If you control the waste with a biological filter and water changes, you can keep the water parameters under control for the most part. But it is not an easy thing - and, I can tell you right now - not something you can do once a week. (I have 4 in a 15 gallon tub right now. They are 2 inches total (tails included) and they require 80% water changes every 3 days and careful monitoring. They are scheduled to be shipped to a friend - and will have the proper volume there.) Several other, less visiable, factors come into play when dealing with small volumes, too. Fish let out a growth hormone suppressant. As this builds up in the water, the fish slow and stop growing. They become "stunted" - a permanent condition that is eventually deadly to all of the fish.

Any time a fish is in small volumes of water, they may do ok, but if a parasite or a simple disease comes along, the fish have no immunity reserves to fight it. They die. In a large volume of water, you may have days or weeks to respond to a problem. In a small volume of water, the fish may die before you ever even know something is wrong. It is also very very difficult to cure in a small volumes - the stress is simply too great. Many parasites do not kill - they just "stunt" - something else to keep in mind. In a stressed fish, they stunt and kill more often.

Goldfish are not small fish. They are LARGE fish. Yup - they start out small, and will die small if they run into problems or lack their needs being meant. But they are LARGE fish. Just as you cannot stuff a baby shark into a bathtub and expect it to grow into a 15 foot specimin, you cannot put goldfish into cramped quarters and expect them to grow and thrive.

IF you wish your fish to grow to their potential, have a chance at throwing off parasites and disease, and to live a full life, they need more volume of water.

The "10 gallon rule" is actually the bare minimum. I would never dream of attempting to keep a single adult goldie in 10 gallons - and would never consider keeping even small fish in 15 for very long. They will not grow. If I were to attempt to keep those 4 fry in my 15 for much longer, they would lose growth time and become less healthy. They would no longer have the potential to be show winners or good breeders. They need every day, every hour for growing healthy and stroing. I am not willing to force them to spend any more time of their lives sitting "stagnant", waiting for their needs to be meant.

Your fish may not ever reach that magical 4 inch mark. It may be because they were cramped from day one - being produced by a volume breeder for the mass market or it may be because they have not received the volume in your care. It may be because of genetics, too - or a combination of all factors - disease and parasites included.

I would suggest that you read a bit more about these creatures that you have in your care. Keep an open mind - and I think you will be IMPRESSED at just how large, healthy and AMAZINGING beautiful these fish can be, given the proper care and a bit of luck.

when we went to the store the box for the aquarium said econo 20 but when I got it it said 15 gallons if you just put two together they would be lonley

Edited by goldfish1997

when we went to the store the box for the aquarium said econo 20 but when I got it it said 15 gallons, if you just put one it would be lonley

That indeed is a 15 gl tank. And goldfish do not neccessarily get lonely - provide the fish with hiding spots, rocks and silk plants to make the tank more interesting, and rearrange it every now and then. Some people float golf balls on top so they have something to "play" with.

I would go with a single fish any day instead of a life time of missery and possible illness and death. It is a lot less work for you as well.

That indeed is a 15 gl tank. And goldfish do not neccessarily get lonely - provide the fish with hiding spots, rocks and silk plants to make the tank more interesting, and rearrange it every now and then. Some people float golf balls on top so they have something to "play" with.

I would go with a single fish any day instead of a life time of missery and possible illness and death. It is a lot less work for you as well.

but goldfish are schooling fish it is like putting one neon tetra byitself http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=73194 this person looks like he has a small tank

Edited by goldfish1997