Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Peanuts

New Tank

I've just been given a brand new (still in the box) Arcadia Arc 35liter tank. http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?psu...lan=en&id=4

One of my work friends decided that they didn't want it (it's never been used!). My problem is.... what shall I do with it? I was thinking of using it as a new home for my fighter, but he's really old now and struggles to get to the surface if it's more then 5inchs deep.

Then I thought of using it as a 'growing on' tank for a baby goldie but 35l is far too small..... or is it?

Any ideas?

No idea how many gallons that is but from looking at the pictures ya way to small for goldfish. Mabye a couple apple snails with some plants or some red cherry shrimps but they need an aged tank with heat....

What a cute little tank! I agree, no goldies. How about another fighter? Or a few guppies could look realllllly nice in there.

I think 35l is 8/9gals. I would like to try and grow some live plants in the tank.... I have half a bag of black fine gravel that will cover the bottom and I have a spare small heater.

When it's pay day I think i'll have a look at plants etc.

I like the idea of having a school of fish in there, but I also love Hillstream loaches. Does anyone know how much room a HSL needs?

by the look at the tank there isn't a full hood

so I would say no the the loaches they are known to be escape artists

Also no to the betta idea it could jump too. 5 or 6 small tetra's would love that for a home with the plants. And they wont kill themselves by jumping out.

Or guppies....did I mention I love guppies?? :rofl

Ya a few male guppies would look stunning in that tank. Give them some plants and they would be very happy. lol

LOL,

Guppy's are very nice and pretty.......but i don't actually like them :peeka sorry.

The tank does come with a hood. it's a glass sheet that sits on top of the metal corners, but there is a feeding hole in it.

I was thinking of setting the tank up in my bedroom, my LFS has one set up in store with some neons and shrimps.

Are shrimps a good idea? what are they used for?

I've never kept shrimp, but another possibility I just thought of would be a single dwarf gourami. They get along with most other fish too.

I love my shrimp but they are in a tank with no fish. Fish would love to snack on them and I like them to much to turn them into fish food. lol

I like the idea of a school of neon tetras with a bunch of live plants OR of shrimp with live plants.

I think I would go for the neon tetras.

I would go with a small school of tetras. With tropicals, and loaches too I think, the rule is one inch of fish per gallon... or 2cm per 3 liters.

The tank would probably be acceptable for a young goldfish for a while, with particular attention to water quality, but it's easier (and better for the fish) to keep fish in a larger water volume. The tank is well-suited for a few tropicals.

My two hillstreams have never even hinted at trying to get out of the tank. I have a ten gallon with 2 loaches and a few white clouds, all very happy.

My two hillstreams have never even hinted at trying to get out of the tank. I have a ten gallon with 2 loaches and a few white clouds, all very happy.

I've just heard story's about them on this board

35 litres would be about 9.3 gallons (at 3.75 litre to 1 US gallon). It should look quite nice with plants and tropicals. I have a 12 gallon with White clouds, panda corys, pygmy corys, a couple of amano shrimp and about a dozen red cherry shrimp. The red cherry shrimp reproduce like crazy (the White Clouds ignore them, even the shrimplets). The shrimp help keep the algae down and the corys are super cute. For your small tank, a half dozen pygmy corys should be really cute (they only grow to about 30 mm). Also, rasboras would also be a good choice.

Thanks guys, I knew the tank would have been too small for goldies (Wishful thinking on my part). I snaped the tank up before my friend had a chance to say change his mind and didn't really think about what I would do with it.

I'll have to get another tank to 'grow' goldies in ( :D ).

I like the idea of having a variety of things in the tank, I love Cories so for me these will be a must. I intend to plant the tank up so before I rush off and buy fish I really need to get plants.

I've half a bag of really fine black gravel for the substrate, What plants do you think I should plant with?

The type of plants depend on the lighting available for the tank. Most tanks come with inadequate light for plants. You can go low tech and just plant low light plants such as Java fern, differnet types of mosses (looks nice tied to branches), crypts and anubias - although the java fern will grow quite big eventually. Check out sites that specialize in aquarium planting such as www.plantedtank.net and www.aquaticplantcentral.com

a dp puffer!!! :D

I thought about having a puffer, but my local stores don't sell them :(