Sign in to follow this  
drkslvr

"bubbles, Bubbles, Bubbles!... My Bubbles. :["

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking at getting my 30 gallon tank set up with an air pump, etc, but would like some guidance on what to buy. There is a cheep pump with two outputs at wallyworld that claims it works in up to a 50 gallon, but I'm not sure I trust it, and I have no idea how loud/quiet it is. There are two tetra/whisper pumps I see everwhere that are both much more expensive. One says it is for 10-30 gallons and the other says it's for 30-60 gallons, I think. Since I'm on the line, which one would you recommend I buy? The smaller one only has a single output. Also, does anyone know how quiet these pumps are?

I'd love input on what brands/models of pumps you have had success with in a 30 gallon, and which ones are quieter! I don't think my roommates would much appreciate a noisy aquarium pump.

Also, bubble stones or bubble wands? I'm kind of leaning towards bubble wands, but honestly, how do you make either one stay on the bottom of the tank? Also, I saw something at pets--smart, like a bubble dougnut. it was a little more expensive, though. What do you guys have/think?

Oh, and it would be nice to stay under $50 for the entire set up, if that's possible. Thanks.

I have a whisper air pump that is for 20-40 gallons

it is great and quite silent.

It cost me aroung 18 bucks

at the P e t s mart

I would go with bubble stones

the large ones they are more tough that wands

I cannot recommend the Tetra whisper pumps highly enough! They are very very quiet. If you don't buy one to start with, you'll end up upgrading to one anyway. Generally the cheaper pumps can be quite loud. You can buy one with two outputs, or you can just buy a little splitter. They are cheap and work well.

As for the bubble stones vs wands, I don't think either is really better. I found personally that the wands clogged faster and are a bit more expensive, so I stick with stones. Right now I have two flat rectangular stones, and I attach them to the bottom using suction cups (they sell them at the pet stores specifically to fit airline tubing)

that's great! thanks!

i know that the tetra pumps say that they have siphon protection, but should i use a separate anti-siphon valve, too, or is the built-in one enough?

Siphon protection you say???? I've been using airpumps most of my life and never thought of that :peeka

Guest iat814

I use the Tetra 40 pump. It's nice and pretty quiet. I switch back and forth between using a wand and a rectangular air stone. I get bored pretty easily, lol.

You can get a single siphon protection valve at most LFS for under two bucks. For the piece of mind it is worth it. If you mount your air pump above the top of the water line of your tank (or just sit it on top of your hood) it is supposed to be safe. I like mine in my cabinet under my tank and then you want the siphon valve. I also keep mine on top of a few old towels (with one on top) to reduce any vibration and noise. You could also cut out a strip of foam to put underneath it. I don't really notice much noise.