Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Quasi

What About Goldfish And Incense?

What is says in the title ... anybody any comments? :)

I would say no. The smoke can get into the filter on the airpump, and because it's an oily smoke it will not come out very easy. Once it's in the filter, it will blow into the tank and..., well you get the picture. The airpump booklet I have cautions against lighting candles, incense and cig smoke in the same room as the pump.

Take care.

this question has be asked many times before

i say no because the oils can spread through out your tank causing problems

My goldies are at my boyfriends' house and he burns candles all the time. Once in awhile he will burn incense as well. I never thought about it harming the fish-- :o . I've only been keeping fish for about 2 years and the longest I've had a gf is about 1 year. I've had one swordtail the longest--almost 2 years and he's perfectly fine. So, I can't really say if the oils bother them or not!

I can only second the opinion of Nooo..btw why incense near a fish tank??

I would say no. The smoke can get into the filter on the airpump, and because it's an oily smoke it will not come out very easy. Once it's in the filter, it will blow into the tank and..., well you get the picture. The airpump booklet I have cautions against lighting candles, incense and cig smoke in the same room as the pump.
I vote no too. And also, this. :idont
My goldies are at my boyfriends' house and he burns candles all the time. Once in awhile he will burn incense as well. I never thought about it harming the fish-- :o . I've only been keeping fish for about 2 years and the longest I've had a gf is about 1 year. I've had one swordtail the longest--almost 2 years and he's perfectly fine. So, I can't really say if the oils bother them or not!
I can only second the opinion of Nooo..btw why incense near a fish tank??

I'm not quite sure what oil has to do with it :unsure: . Actually Miki and I were thinking about those small matchstick like incense sticks, that don't really produce smoke, it it'd be in a room of about 50 to 70 m? (I've tried to see what that would be referred to in the US, but I couldn't manage it). Also, it'd be one of those (and not regularly) a good distance away from the tank, as an alternative to an air freshener (of which Miki and I usually don't like the smell).

Well, if it's a choice between air fresheners and incense, I'd definitely choose the incense. While I burn incense, I would never spray anything near my tank. Of course, my main tank has in-tank, completely immersed filters that don't take in air from the outside and the top has a cover.

I used to burn my incense on the table where I've set up my two 10 gallons and they have HOB filters. I didn't want to take a chance burning the incense so close to those tanks, so I moved it to a different spot in the room, but I do burn incense ocassionally and, while I certainly am not able to test the water to determine whether anything is getting into the water, the fish appear fine. So, I don't know.

Even though an incense might be made up of oils, once it's burned, it's no longer an oil. It then becomes burnt particles; yeah, carcinogenic, and while, perhaps, that point is still an argument, they are no longer an oil, which was the point brought up. And, as far as the carcinogenic particulates, smoke disperses fairly quickly once it leaves the source; especially small amounts of smoke such as from incense. The further the smoke disperses, the more separated the particulates become and then will fall to the ground.

This article referenced is interesting, but we have to remember that these asians studied who burn incense, burn massive quantities of it continuously so that there are virtually thick clouds of smoke in the room almost all the time. I'd really have to argue that the applicability is the same as most of us who burn incense one or two sticks at a time maybe once or twice a day.

So I'd say that, if the source is far enough away from the tank(s) in question so that the smoke disperses before it gets close to the tank and the particulates have a chance to fall to the ground, it would be okay to burn the incense. Perhaps running a fan near the tank that blows away from the tank would allay any fears of smoke getting in.

Actually Miki and I were thinking about those small matchstick like incense sticks, that don't really produce smoke

Like this? ---> 872.jpg

I think the kind above would be OK. The burning type of incense, probably not such a good idea.

Thanks everyone, especially you Lynda, for your lengthy and very informative discussion :) .

In case you might be interested, we have a typical interior filter in both the small and the large tank (and each tank has a hood covering it), and a second external canister filter for the large tank. HOBs seems to be somewhat the rule in the US (correct me if I'm wrong), but in Belgium I have never come across any HOBs in any of the LFS centres we've been to.